Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Image problem with Infocus X1 projector

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the X1 projector and had it hooked up to a Sony 715p dvd player using the supplied s-video cable. Using this set up, i noticed a slight floating image (a horizontal line running the width of the picture) that moves up the screen and then starts again. I then bought and connected Monster s-video cable, and the problem seems to be magnified.

Obviously, I am not happy with this problem, and would like some information about what the source of this problem is, and more importantly how to correct it.

Thanks in advance
Coop

ps. I have emailed infocus tech support and am awaiting a reply
pps. I do not have this image problem on my regular 27" samsung tv

Last edited by coop22; 06-04-04 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any info about your problem, but I also have a Sony 715P running into an X1, and I do not have this problem.

Sounds like how old monitors would have a similar thing when shown on tv, due to the refresh rate of the monitor and speed of the camera not synching up (or whatever technical thing caused that problem).

I'd try the composite or component connections, then another Dvd player; see if you can determine if it is in the player, or the projector.
Old 06-05-04, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions madmonk

I made the same connections with my other dvd player, and at first things looked good, but then as soon as i hooked up a single audio cable (or a video cable into my tv) the lines came back -

I then checked out the sony with only the s-video in place, and no lines - as soon as i plug in another cable (also monster cables) the floating lines come back...

obviously there is some type of interference - if anyone knows how to cobat this please let me know

thanks
Old 06-05-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Wish I could offer help, but please post your resolution once it happens. I have pretty much decided on the X1 and was planning on puchase within a couple of months (perhaps at the next big Dell deal).
Old 06-05-04, 01:34 PM

thanks for the replies - infocus just responded to my email and reported that my problem is a "grounding loop" issue that has to do with the electrical wiring in my apartment. In case it isnt obvious, I know incredibly little about this stuff, so I am sure someone can state this better than me.

It appears that the problem is that my dvd player is not connected through a three pronged cord into the outlet, and my projector is. I tried a quick fix of using a 3 to 2 pronged adapter on the projector and viola, the lines were gone!

however, infocus recommended against this (reasons above my head), so I am going to try to use a 2 to 3 adapter on the dvd player...

I have to say I was impressed with infocus' response in less than 24 hours on a weekend...
Old 06-05-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
however, infocus recommended against this (reasons above my head), so I am going to try to use a 2 to 3 adapter on the dvd player...
You could also try getting any reasonably good surge protector for your components. They would have a three prong plug for the outlet.
Old 06-06-04, 05:15 AM

The recommended fix is an Isolation Transformer which are available at Radio Shack.
The Unoffical X1 FAQ by Technut can be found here
Unoffical X1 FAQ by Technut
Old 06-06-04, 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone for their help!

I ended up purchasing a surge protector (that has a grounded indicator light) from radioshack for $20, and that did the trick. I am so loving my new projector, but am questioning whether I should have held out for the X2 which features 1600 lumens instead of 1100.
Old 06-06-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally posted by coop22
Thanks everyone for their help!

I ended up purchasing a surge protector (that has a grounded indicator light) from radioshack for $20, and that did the trick. I am so loving my new projector, but am questioning whether I should have held out for the X2 which features 1600 lumens instead of 1100.
From what I have read, every low to med cost projector involves some sort of compromise. I have read (but have no 1st hand knowledge) that while the X2 may be brighter, it uses a less quality chip that can effect the picture.