Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DLP shelf life vs. regular projection

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-02-04, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

shopping for a tv these days and so far i'm debating between a regular projection tv and DLP ( can't afford LCD nor plasma ). i heard plasma tv has some kind of limitation where you have to do maintenance after a certain time or else the image will turn dark. not sure if LCD have the same issue but supposedly it's better between the two.

now for DLP widescreen vs. regular projection widescreens, is there a limitation on either one of them? regular maintenance issues, etc. or are they just like an ordinary tubed tv that just keeps going and going until something fails?

thanks in advance.

kc
Old 06-02-04, 05:35 PM
Cool New Member

DLP bulbs need to be replaced after 6-8,000 hours of viewing time.
Old 06-02-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by goillini
DLP bulbs need to be replaced after 6-8,000 hours of viewing time.
Well I think you would need to be more specific about the brand of equipment to make that statement.

The bulb in my DLP projector is rated for 2000 hours.

i heard plasma tv has some kind of limitation where you have to do maintenance after a certain time or else the image will turn dark.
I have never heard such a thing.

now for DLP widescreen vs. regular projection widescreens, is there a limitation on either one of them? regular maintenance issues, etc. or are they just like an ordinary tubed tv that just keeps going and going until something fails?
Well I think you could say that about any piece of electronic equipment. RPTV's have three guns in them and they may not fail at the same time but might need to be replaced at the same time to keep the brightness uniform.
Old 06-02-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: DLP shelf life vs. regular projection

Originally posted by wakanaiyo
i heard plasma tv has some kind of limitation where you have to do maintenance after a certain time or else the image will turn dark
You have to refill the plasma when it gets low.

just kidding people!

Some of the plasmas now are rated for 50,000-75,000 hours, which is over ten years of heavy home viewing.
Old 06-02-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: DLP shelf life vs. regular projection

hi all,

shopping for a tv these days and so far i'm debating between a regular projection tv and DLP ( can't afford LCD nor plasma ). i heard plasma tv has some kind of limitation where you have to do maintenance after a certain time or else the image will turn dark. not sure if LCD have the same issue but supposedly it's better between the two.

thanks in advance.

kc
Is there a reason you have decided to not look at RP-LCD?
Old 06-02-04, 07:02 PM

Re: Re: DLP shelf life vs. regular projection

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Is there a reason you have decided to not look at RP-LCD?
in actuality, i don't understand enough to know what is what, or perhaps, all the terms out there.

in regards to RP-LCD, what's the difference between that, regular RP, and DLP projection?

one thing also i have to consider is the budget. plasma, lcd, and dlp projection tv are in excess of $4000 +, unfortunately i haven't hit the lottery
Old 06-02-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: DLP shelf life vs. regular projection

in actuality, i don't understand enough to know what is what, or perhaps, all the terms out there.

in regards to RP-LCD, what's the difference between that, regular RP, and DLP projection?

one thing also i have to consider is the budget. plasma, lcd, and dlp projection tv are in excess of $4000 +, unfortunately i haven't hit the lottery
Go over to AVSform.com and do some reading. Lots and lots of information.

RP-LCD is a different technology then the DLP (DLP is still rear projection). However, you have many of the same benefits (physically smaller and lighter TV, no burn in issues, etc). It is ROUGHLY the same price as DLP. Depending on the exact model, size it could be a little more or less then the DLP. Sony is probably the most popular of the RP-LCD, while Samsung is probably the most popular of the RP-DLP.

By "regular" RP, I assume you mean CRT. These are the physically bigger TV's. However, keep in mind that many still feel these offer the best picture when set up properly. However, they are big, heavy but much less expensive.

Again, I would suggest going over to avsforum.com and looking thru their forums. In particular, read thru their FAQ posts. And I recommend not posting a question until you read thru the FAQ's.
Old 06-04-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an older RP-LCD, a 40" Samsung PLH403w that I got back in '99. I upgraded to their DLP set a couple of years ago, but the LCD is still going strong and looks great. It weighed about 50 lbs. and the cabinet was only about 10" deep.
Old 06-05-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still going back and fourth on the whole DLP vs. LCD (RP). My wife really likes the physical looks of the Sony (LCD). She thinks the picture is better. I like the picture better on the Samsung (DLP).

I have looked and looked, read and read, I think I will end up getting which ever one I can get the best deal on.