Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Projector question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Projector question

Question for my sister:

How big of a difference does it make for the projector to be native 16:9?

Can I not get True HD if the projector does 4:3 ratio and I make 16:9?

She was looking to get an Infocus 4800, but it is native 4:3.
Old 05-06-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Projector question

I am by no means an expert, so you may want to verify this info, but this is my understanding:

Originally posted by Venusian
Question for my sister:

I guess this depends on how much 16:9 stuff you watch.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but even if the Infocus 4800 (or X1, same projector) was 16:9, it would still not be able to do true HD, because it is only SVGA (800x600). If you are wanting a projector that can do true HDTV resolution (1920 x 1080) be prepared to spend a whole lot more money than you will on the 4800/X1

While certainly not the top of the line, I have the infocus X1 (4800), and am very happy with it. Especially for $900. Everyone who sees the picture is amazed.
Old 05-06-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Re: Projector question

You will still be able to display 16:9 format (which includes HD content, DVDs, etc.), but you will have pixel-spray (pixels that are turned off on the pixel borad, but still show a small amount of grey coloring) over the top and the bottom of the screen if you use a 16:9 screen. My advice, if her viewing material is 60% or more 16:9 based material, get a 16:9 projector and screen. Otherwise, you can use a 4:3 projector and screen.

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
While certainly not the top of the line, I have the infocus X1 (4800), and am very happy with it. Especially for $900. Everyone who sees the picture is amazed.
No one notices the 'rainbow effect'? I know when I took an X1 home to demo, every single one of my friends and myself noticed it big time.
Old 05-06-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I recommend reading some of the articles at Projector Central. Here are two of relevance:

4:3 vs. 16:9
Infocus X1 review
Old 05-06-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My sister says she can get this:

I can get the ScreenPlay 110 on the refurb side for $1000 - $1300
It is native 16:9.

Here is the link for it:
http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/...play/sp110.asp

she wants to know if that would be better than a new 4800
Old 05-06-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
With prices dropping on this technology, I personally would not buy a projector that was not 16:9 native.

I would shop around, do reasearch on the net and try to see the projectors available in your local area.
Old 05-06-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
With prices dropping on this technology, I personally would not buy a projector that was not 16:9 native.
More importantly than that, I would not buy a projector that was only SVGA resolution.
Old 05-06-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Re: Projector question

Originally posted by steebo777
No one notices the 'rainbow effect'? I know when I took an X1 home to demo, every single one of my friends and myself noticed it big time.
No one has complained about the rainbows yet. I can see them, if I try to, mainly when the scene is dark, but lit in a couple places by a bright light or candle. If I move my eyes rapidly at that point, I can see some of the rainbow effect.

I think it is something most people can adjust to. Like the screendoor of LCD projectors.
Old 05-07-04, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With most DVDs at 16:9, and with HDTV at 16:9, about the only thing left in 4:3 is standard definition TV, and who buys a projector for standard definition TV?

As such, 16:9 is usually ideal, but if the only projectors in your budget are 4:3, I wouldn't worry too much. Most users seem very happy with them.
Old 05-07-04, 04:35 PM

I'm pretty happy with my 4:3 projector (with 16:9 screen). I don't think that aspect ratio is as important as overall resolution. Mine is 1400x1050 native, 1400x788 in 16:9 mode. Seems to work fine overall, and there's always the option of using an anamorphic lens to give a squeezed 1400x1050 resolution 16:9 image.

If you're picking up a projector around $1k, the Optoma H30 may be one you want to look at. It has a relatively faster 4x colorwheel.

If you have a $1800 budget, you may want to see if the black levels and screen door of the Panasonic PT-AE500u and Sanyo PLV-Z2 are ok to your eyes. Their higher resolution may look better with HD feed.
Old 05-07-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Projector question

No one has complained about the rainbows yet. I can see them, if I try to, mainly when the scene is dark, but lit in a couple places by a bright light or candle. If I move my eyes rapidly at that point, I can see some of the rainbow effect.

I think it is something most people can adjust to. Like the screendoor of LCD projectors.

I could see them when I got it. My stomach would get a little upset and sometimes I'd get a headache, but it all went away, including the rainbows (unless I look for them) after about 10 hours of use. Only one person has mentioned seeing them so far on mine. No one else has had the same problems I had at first either.
Old 05-09-04, 11:35 PM

Re: Projector question

Originally posted by Venusian
Question for my sister:

why spend a grand on a non HD res PJ? when u can get a full 720P HD 16x9 PJ for ~$1900 !!!! i just got a panasonic PT-L500U for 1800 (plus change and shipping) its native 16x9 full 1280x720P HD spec .... looks AWESOME!!!!!!! 106" screen is WAY DIFFERENT than my old 27"

if all u have right now is a grand wait till u save the rest .... its well worth the money

T
Old 05-10-04, 12:12 AM

If your source material is going to be strictly DVDs, then spending $1,000 or less makes sense. If you have HDTV or planning on purchasing it in the near future then go with a 1/4 HD projector like above.
True HD projectors that support 1080x1920i are still $30,000.
Be sure to do your research on projectors such as DLP vs. LCD, Contrast Ratio, Lumens, Lens Shift, Throw Size and Distance.
SVGA projector is more then enough for DVDs as the 800x600 is better then the DVD standard of 720 x 480. Get a native 16x9 if you prefer Widescreen source. If you go with a native 4:3 projector you can always add a Panamorph lens later and even use the lens in the future on a native 16x9 projector to improve 2.35:1 and above movies.
I bought the X1 and I am extremely happy with it. Infocus has excellent customer service and there is a large fan base to support it with detailed FAQs and walkthrough guides.
Once HDTV becomes the norm in a few more years, the $1,000 projectors will be much more advanced and I will buy one and spend the same money as someone buying the $2,000 projector now.
Old 05-12-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally posted by Shroud
If your source material is going to be strictly DVDs, then spending $1,000 or less makes sense. If you have HDTV or planning on purchasing it in the near future then go with a 1/4 HD projector like above.
True HD projectors that support 1080x1920i are still $30,000.
Be sure to do your research on projectors such as DLP vs. LCD, Contrast Ratio, Lumens, Lens Shift, Throw Size and Distance.
SVGA projector is more then enough for DVDs as the 800x600 is better then the DVD standard of 720 x 480. Get a native 16x9 if you prefer Widescreen source. If you go with a native 4:3 projector you can always add a Panamorph lens later and even use the lens in the future on a native 16x9 projector to improve 2.35:1 and above movies.
I bought the X1 and I am extremely happy with it. Infocus has excellent customer service and there is a large fan base to support it with detailed FAQs and walkthrough guides.
Once HDTV becomes the norm in a few more years, the $1,000 projectors will be much more advanced and I will buy one and spend the same money as someone buying the $2,000 projector now.
What screen are you using?

I'm interested in the X1. I'm putting together a "media room" but since I'm doing a lot more to this house (including new kitchen) then just the media room, I'm on a budget. It will be mainly for DVD watching, but also would be fun to watch sports on the big screen.

How does "normal" tv look on your X1? This will not be our only TV, but sure we will watch some normal TV on it.
Old 05-12-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Projector question

It depends on how senstive you are to it. Some people never get "used to it". I am very sensitive to the rainbow effect and watching the X1 makes gives me a massive headache and makes me queasy. And this is just sitting and looking straight ahead without moving my head or even trying to see rainbows. If you don't see them consider yourself lucky.

As some of the others have said, resolution is a very important consideration.

There are some very good background articles and many reviews at:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/
Old 05-12-04, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Personally I wouldnt buy a 4:3 projector. Id rather have the ability to do 16:9 and if I watch 4:3 stuff deal with the black bars either side of the picture.

Venusian really needs to state what purpose his/her sister is primarily going to use it for. But im guessing it would be for Standard def telly and dvd's. Even in this case Id go for a 16:9 projector to somewhat future proof your purchase so when digital becomes more available in your area you can utilise your current projector without having to upgrade again. As long as you are happy with the picture of course.

Also, do extensive research on what projector/s you have in mind and get out there and actually see them running, side by side if you can.
Old 05-15-04, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Sdallnct
What screen are you using?

I'm interested in the X1. I'm putting together a "media room" but since I'm doing a lot more to this house (including new kitchen) then just the media room, I'm on a budget. It will be mainly for DVD watching, but also would be fun to watch sports on the big screen.

How does "normal" tv look on your X1? This will not be our only TV, but sure we will watch some normal TV on it.
Sorry for the late reply. I built a DIY screen using Polywall Plas-tex which was super simple and cost me about $90. I have full instructions and pictures on the DIY project here. I think its looks almost as good as a high dollar professional screen.

My Polywall Plas-tex Screen

Depends on how you define normal TV. Cable tv looks pretty bad as it is highly compressed and when you blow it up 100" you can see artifacts. Digital Satelite is much better, but not as clear as DVDs. The problem is not with the projector but with broadcast TV. HDTV should look great, but have not experienced it as of yet.
Old 05-15-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry for the late reply. I built a DIY screen using Polywall Plas-tex which was super simple and cost me about $90. I have full instructions and pictures on the DIY project here. I think its looks almost as good as a high dollar professional screen.

My Polywall Plas-tex Screen

Depends on how you define normal TV. Cable tv looks pretty bad as it is highly compressed and when you blow it up 100" you can see artifacts. Digital Satelite is much better, but not as clear as DVDs. The problem is not with the projector but with broadcast TV. HDTV should look great, but have not experienced it as of yet.
No problem on the late reply. I don't move for yet another month (seems like I have been working on this move FOREVER). I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible right now.

Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Bummer about the Cable. I just ordered Comcast for our house. I did go digital, don't know if they will help or not. Well, like I say, it is by no means going to be our main TV. It will be for DVD movies mainly. I may however feed it a HD signal. I'm going to have to put some sort of a tuner with it, so might as well make it HD.

I was also looking at the BenQ PB6100 for about the same money. Using the projector "throw" calculator over at Projector Central says the BenQ will make a 79" 4:3 image @ 11'. While the X1 will make a 88" 4:3 image @ 11'. 11 feet is aprox where I'm going to try to mount the projector (currently there is a ceiling fan in that spot, so got electricity). With a 9" bigger screen, I think the X1 is still my top choice for my low budget theater.
Old 05-15-04, 10:29 PM

I'm happy with my X1, if you want to go bigger you can always bounce it off a mirror. I did that due to room restriction size and was able to get 100" easily from about 10 foot without the image quality suffering much.
Also when your ready to do a ceiling mount, I will show you how I made mine out of two plastic cutting boards, a long bolt cut into forths and 16 nuts. It works extremely well and is more customable as I can move each corner of the projector up or down to get the image perfect.
Old 05-17-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Bummer about the Cable. I just ordered Comcast for our house. I did go digital, don't know if they will help or not. Well, like I say, it is by no means going to be our main TV. It will be for DVD movies mainly. I may however feed it a HD signal. I'm going to have to put some sort of a tuner with it, so might as well make it HD.
Even with a "Digital Cable" package, not all of your channels will be digital. The majority of your major broadcast networks are still going to be analog. The quality of the analog channels is inferior to the digital channels.

If you're going with Comcast, be sure to ask them about their HD cable box. Depending on the rates in your area, it's usually an extra $5 a month to rent. Without the HD box, even with a Digital Cable package you won't get any HDTV. With the box, you don't have any additional fees for the HD stations; they come automatically with whatever package you're subscribed to (i.e. if you already pay for regular HBO, you'll have access to HBO-HD).
Old 05-18-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Z
Even with a "Digital Cable" package, not all of your channels will be digital. The majority of your major broadcast networks are still going to be analog. The quality of the analog channels is inferior to the digital channels.

If you're going with Comcast, be sure to ask them about their HD cable box. Depending on the rates in your area, it's usually an extra $5 a month to rent. Without the HD box, even with a Digital Cable package you won't get any HDTV. With the box, you don't have any additional fees for the HD stations; they come automatically with whatever package you're subscribed to (i.e. if you already pay for regular HBO, you'll have access to HBO-HD).
Yup that is what it is. $5.00 for the HD box. Plan on getting at least one as in addition to the projector, I'm also going to need to buy a new "regular" TV. It will be (I'm sure), a widescreen HD ready TV.

Basically my set up in the house will most likely go:

In combo family room/living room will have a 42"-50" HD TV (right now the Sony RP-LCD is 1st on my list, with the Samsung RP-DLP 2nd). This will be our "main watching TV" TV. Will have a surround system, DVD, HD cable, TiVo for the wife, etc.

In the media room will have an entry level front projector (X1 is on my short list). This will be mainly for "movie nights" and sports. Will have a surround system, DVD, playstation and cable. Have not yet decide if I want digital/HD here or not.

So I'm trying to balance each and hope they complement each other as I know one will not do it all.
Old 06-01-04, 12:32 AM

projectorpeople.com is also a good site. i'm building a house and once it's done plan on buying a projector. i've been thinking about getting the Sanyo PLV-Z1 Projector
Old 07-14-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK Shroud, I'll take you up on your offer. Tell me about your mount for the ceiling. My X1 was delivered this morning. I'm having an electrician come in the next 10 days to remove a ceiling fan and put in a electrical box for the projector (yea, I could do it myself, but I got about 8-10 items of electrical that needs to be done. So I got an electricial I'll hire for like 6 hours to do it all - he will do in six hours what would take me a couple of weeks to do).

My plan it to gather all materials in the next 10 days then start construction on my room by the 1st of the month.

I'm happy with my X1, if you want to go bigger you can always bounce it off a mirror. I did that due to room restriction size and was able to get 100" easily from about 10 foot without the image quality suffering much.
Also when your ready to do a ceiling mount, I will show you how I made mine out of two plastic cutting boards, a long bolt cut into forths and 16 nuts. It works extremely well and is more customable as I can move each corner of the projector up or down to get the image perfect.
Old 07-16-04, 01:05 PM

Shroud,
I'm also interested in details on your X1 ceiling mount.
Thx,
Cavalier
Old 07-19-04, 07:40 PM
Bru

it all comes down to taste and what people have owned as you can tell from responses.

I own a X1 and the first time I watched HD over it I was amazed for a SVGA how good it displayed fake HD!

still to this day I love how HD looks over my X1 and I have seen the real deal projectors but for the price of my X1 ($750) it looks a million times better than 480P.

point is depending on your tast you don't need to spend $2000 especially with technology changing and prices dropping and the way people upgrade in this hobby.

the X1 matched with the Zenith DVB318 1080i upconverting player it is a match I love!

BTW: there is a guy on ebay who sells a nice mount for $60 shipped, it is of very good quality and even gives some extras. I have used it for 3 projectors so far(my others were XGA's) and each time I have drilled the holes necessary for each projector. so it can be reused in the future if you upgrade or in my case downgrade.

the X1 is a great projector. if you can find the original still with DCDI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.