Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some suggestions for the transition to HDTV...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all...

the wife and i just bought a new house. when we move in, i want to take the plunge and get a widescreen HDTV (i'm thinking 61" or so).. i have a few questions regarding the transition to HDTV that i would like to address:

- i am currently a DirecTV customer, and plan on keeping them and going with their HDTV deal. what exactly do i need to get from them?

- can i use my DirecTiVo with my HDTV (for non-HD programming)?? i see that there is an HDTiVo being released, but i'm not gonna bite on the price anytime soon..

- do i want to get an HD-Ready TV, or an HDTV with built in tuner?

just started looking around today, and those are some of the questions i've come up with so far. thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-30-04, 01:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I think they announced today that DTV will be offering existing customers an upgrade to either a DTV or an HD Reciever for 49 dollars your choice.

You could have the DTivo and the HD reciever and just switch
sources and use the HD reciever to watch live HD broadcasts.

If you are going to use the HD reciever then I could be wrong but I do not think there is any need for a built in tuner.

I am eagerly awaiting the shipment of my HD Tivo. It is shipping tomorrow and I will have it by the start of next week. My plasma is waiting patiently.

Of course it would be a much nicer operation if I could get the national feeds for the networks but I only have waivers for ABC.

CBS is the one I want badly.
Old 03-30-04, 01:42 PM

I say NO to the HD-tuner built in. The digital service you go with will basically give you a tuner at no charge or relatively small monthly fee. Plus I hear if the tuner bums out on you it is expensive to fix.

Secondly, I am not a fan of rear projection. Burn in is much easier and you can't see the screen that well up close or at angles. Plus there is a bulb that you have to replace every 5 years or so that cost around $300. I have a 34'' direct view 16:9 TV and that works for me (but it is heavier than a mug).

So, no built-in tuner and no rear projection. That is my advice.
Old 03-30-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whats your Budget for the TV? that will play a big part as to what type of TV you can get.... I got a built in tuner to my TV cause originally all I could get was OTA HD with an antenna (which was great). Now i get it through Cox and get local HD chanells and dont need the Tuner, but its nice that it is still there i guess (keep up resale value just a little bit more). If you plan on getting Direct TV, (i know they sometimes depending on location offer HD CBS, but thats it for locals). Its really a toss up and how good of a deal you get. I only paid $100 more for my 57" tosh with built in tuner (57H93) than the version with out the tuner...
Old 03-31-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ceeece
I say NO to the HD-tuner built in. The digital service you go with will basically give you a tuner at no charge or relatively small monthly fee. Plus I hear if the tuner bums out on you it is expensive to fix.

Secondly, I am not a fan of rear projection. Burn in is much easier and you can't see the screen that well up close or at angles. Plus there is a bulb that you have to replace every 5 years or so that cost around $300. I have a 34'' direct view 16:9 TV and that works for me (but it is heavier than a mug).

So, no built-in tuner and no rear projection. That is my advice.
I agree that if you're getting your HD signal from a cable or dish STB you don't need the built in tuner. Why would this tuner be more expensive to fic than any tuner in a regular TV though?

As for RPTVs; yes a CRT based RPTV has the potential for burn in but only if your contrast is set in torch mode and you don't vary your viewing. CRT based RPTVs don't have bulbs that need replacing like LCD and DLP and the CRTs only need to be replaced if you get burn in. I don't understand what you mean about viewing it up close and viewing from angles is only a problem if viewed from extremes and who what's to watch TV like that anyway. So if you want a large screen you need to go RPTV or FPTV but there are diffenent technologies for each. Direct view HDTVs are fine for small rooms but nothing beats a large screen for home theater.
Old 03-31-04, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the advice folks.. fyi, i think i'm looking at about a $2000-$3000 budget for a tv..
Old 03-31-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) If you've been with D* for over 2 years, you'll qualify for their $99 HD setup. I've been with them for less than a year and got the deal for $199. Here's a big thread about it at AV Science.

2) I have my DirecTivo (S-Video) on one input and my HD box (DVI) on another. Works like a charm. My only problem is that I have just two inputs by my setup. I really need three to use everything correctly, but I'm just waiting on the HD-Tivo.

3) There's no need to get a built-in HD tuner since the D* HD receivers handle OTA signals also.

The D* HD package is $10.99 a month and I've been happy with it so far. There are a lot of repeats, but I haven't been bothered by it too much. There's speculation of more HD channels coming, but no one knows when or how many.
Old 03-31-04, 01:33 PM

viewing it up close and viewing from angles is only a problem if viewed from extremes and who what's to watch TV like that anyway. So if you want a large screen you need to go RPTV or FPTV but there are diffenent technologies for each. Direct view HDTVs are fine for small rooms but nothing beats a large screen for home theater.
True. Depends on the room size. One day I hope to have a room just for home theater. I would get a projector then.