Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

refurb onkyo TX-SR501 or new Panasonic SAHE100?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

refurb onkyo TX-SR501 or new Panasonic SAHE100?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
They are good units, but the wattage SHOULD scare you off a bit. That's very low. You will be pushing these units a good bit (but an HK will take it laughing).

The problem with the cheaper model is that it's only 5.1, whereas the Onkyo is 6.1
Have you had any issues with the HK's? I'm not try to be a smart $ss, I have never owned one. But every review I have read has been very positive. And I always laugh at Sony or whoever with their 120 watt rating, but I have paper weights that are bigger then the power supply in those sony's (I currenty have a sony, so I feel ok badgering it!).

I'm looking for a high quality, low frills surround receiver. Watts don't impress me, but sound does. Besides the Onkyo and H/K any other suggestions?

hoskins, yes, please do post back with your personal experience. Also, I'd be curious as to how you are using the HD component switching.
Old 06-17-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be happy with any Denon as well. Nice sound, high-current amps.
Old 06-18-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
Have you had any issues with the HK's? I'm not try to be a smart $ss, I have never owned one. But every review I have read has been very positive. And I always laugh at Sony or whoever with their 120 watt rating, but I have paper weights that are bigger then the power supply in those sony's (I currenty have a sony, so I feel ok badgering it!).

I'm looking for a high quality, low frills surround receiver. Watts don't impress me, but sound does. Besides the Onkyo and H/K any other suggestions?

hoskins, yes, please do post back with your personal experience. Also, I'd be curious as to how you are using the HD component switching.
Watts should impress you. 55 per channel is very low. This means that you will be pushing the receiver hard every time you play it. I'd feel safer around 75 per channel. At that level, the receiver doesn't feel as it working as hard.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I like H/K, I tend to think they are overpriced compared to Yamaha and Onkyo (which I find to be comparable if not better).

As for other suggestions, I personally would not consider anything (in a store bought brand) rather than Onkyo, HK, Yamaha or Denon (or Pioneer Elite if you can find it).
Old 06-18-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Watts should impress you. 55 per channel is very low. This means that you will be pushing the receiver hard every time you play it. I'd feel safer around 75 per channel. At that level, the receiver doesn't feel as it working as hard.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I like H/K, I tend to think they are overpriced compared to Yamaha and Onkyo (which I find to be comparable if not better).

As for other suggestions, I personally would not consider anything (in a store bought brand) rather than Onkyo, HK, Yamaha or Denon (or Pioneer Elite if you can find it).
Yea, I understand what your saying. But there is no doubt many makers play games with their watt numbers. I can't believe the H/K's are that "underpowered" with all the great reviews they seem to get.

I've also been looking a NAD. In particular the T742. But they are hard to find in the US and even harder to find at a discount. Again, compared to others, they are low watts. But always get great reviews even when driving some difficult speakers.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_rec...42_framset.htm

I'm not a Yamaha fan. Had one for while and very, very unimpressed. I do like Denon (just gave my son my old 2-channel receiver).

I really want quality sound over quantity.

Will give the Onkyo a look. I got one of their "$50.00 subs" a while back and it wasnt bad. No, not all that great, but not bad. I'm putting together 2 different systems, so the good deals to be had with the Onkyo is nice.
Old 06-18-04, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sdallnct,
I should be getting the receiver delivered today and hope to set it up sometime this weekend. I currently have an hd cable box, xbox with hd pack and my dvd player, I'll probably run the cable box directly to the tv (because of placement of box on top of tv) and the dvd player and xbox into the receiver.
Old 06-25-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just ordered this.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...0120-Z&status=

They have lowered the price to $138 and $13 to ship to me. No way can I pass up a H/K shipped for $150.

I'm thinking this will be perfect for my Living Room system. But the worse that can happen is it ends up the Master Bedroom as a 3 surround system.

5.1 is fine with me. Don't want to deal with any more speakers. "Only" 40 watts. Well whatever. Will see how it does. In the last few days I have gone and listened at home theater stores and audio stores. Basically, the wattage listed don't mean a thing (and this coming from a guy who still has a 150 watt per channel hybrid amp). Everyone is playing with the numbers. It has to do with the real rating of the amp, the speakers you are driving, etc, etc. Only way to find out if it will work is to try it. So will do.
Old 06-26-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered this.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_b...0120-Z&status=

They have lowered the price to $138 and $13 to ship to me. No way can I pass up a H/K shipped for $150.
It really depends on what your needs are. For example, that H/K doesn't have component switching.

I replaced an old Onkyo 494 with a refurbed 501 in my secondary setup because I wanted component switching between two dvd players. It does that without any problems and has more than enought power for the speaker setup in that room.