Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Switching to DirecTV

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Switching to DirecTV

I've been a subscriber to Dish Network since 1998 and I've given them long enough to offer all the sports packages that DirecTV does and that time has run out lol. So, I'm looking to switch to DirecTV and I need some suggestions on deals I should look for or receivers that are good. I know they offer a similar one to Dish that records programs for ya. Should I be ordering off their site or are there promos being offered by any one else?

Also, do any of you know how much they charge for the MLB season package or what they charged for it last year? This is probably my main reason for switching.

One last thing....I'm currently subscribed to NBA League pass thru Dish and I don't know if that subscription is transferable to DirecTV...? If not I guess I'll have to wait for the NBA season to end before I switch.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-16-04, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great choice moving from Dish to DirecTV. Circuit City is running a promo currently, 3 rooms & installation free. Add a DirecTIVO (DVR) and add $99. Also you get a $75 giftcard and 3 months of HBO free. Not a bad deal at all. Regarding the MLB package I believe it is about $159-$179. Also next year you'll get it for a lower rate. I currently get the NFL and NBA and it automatically renews for the lower rate.

On a side note, once you get the DirecTV DVR with TIVO, you will wonder how you lived without it before. My wife doesn't like anything about technology products, but LOVES the TIVO. It has 2 tuners, so you can record 2 things at once, while watching something already recorded or any combination in that manner. Also it has digital optical out and you can watch some HBO in Dolby Digital.

Can't say enough good things about it. I have had the setup for a couple years now and love it.

Also for more information on the Tivo go to www.tivocommunity.com

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-04, 05:43 PM

Setzer, I noticed you're in the northwest, if you have a Magnolia Audio Video near you, give them a call. They had the same installation deal as Circuit City (except no gift card), but they were selling the DirecTivo for only $79.99 instead of $99.99. At least, that is what I paid at the Southcenter location just a few weeks ago.
Old 02-17-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses!

Meglet, I do have a Magnolia center about 1/2 hour north of me so I will give them a call.

I called Dish Network to cancel my service and of course they won't refund me part of the subscription for NBA League Pass, nor will they allow me to transfer it. So if I cancel now I'll lose it. Hopefully DirecTV will have this deal still going in a few months.
Old 02-22-04, 04:34 PM

The Direct TV "3 for Free" promotion has been extended through 12/31/04
Old 02-22-04, 07:35 PM

what if you want one or two of the recievers to be high def? I'm guessing that's a lot more $$, isn't it?