Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! Looking to play audio from PC on HT.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to play my modest audio collection stored on my PC (Dell 4550) on my Home Theater system (Onkyo HTS760). Any suggestions?
Old 02-16-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have a coax/optical out from your soundcard, then use that. Otherwise, use the mini-phono jack from your card out to the analog inputs on your receiver using a mini to RCA cable.
Old 02-16-04, 01:30 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Depending on what kind of sound your computer already has it might be a good idea to add a decent soundcard.
Old 02-16-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp

Have one and love it.
Old 02-16-04, 02:12 PM

I use a mini jack to RCA plug for it. Soundcard is really important, on this PC there is an internal soundcard [built in] but also my soundcard [Turtle Beach Santa Cruz]

I have compared and the sound on the speakers is much better when used with the real soundcard and not the internal..
Old 02-16-04, 02:34 PM

I have the Turtle Beach card as well. If I had not gotten a good deal on it, I would have gotten an OEM Creative Labs card like this:

Audigy 5.1 at bananapc.com

I like using Ebay for computer accessories, too.
Old 02-16-04, 03:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I would be hesitant in using any Creative Labs card if I were planning to output anything other than digital DD or DTS.

I haven't checked out their very latest models, but their previous models upconverted all 44.1KHz signals to 48KHz internally. That does not help the quality of the sound. When you can discover their true specs (which they try to hide), they're quite bad.
Old 02-16-04, 04:00 PM

I too have the Audiotron and X,000 songs on my computer in the office. I would have to say that it is a great device. Another option is if you have a new Tivo (non DTV version) you can get the HMO(home media option) and network both picture files (jpg) and music.
Old 02-16-04, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by X
I would be hesitant in using any Creative Labs card if I were planning to output anything other than digital DD or DTS.

I haven't checked out their very latest models, but their previous models upconverted all 44.1KHz signals to 48KHz internally. That does not help the quality of the sound. When you can discover their true specs (which they try to hide), they're quite bad.
That is good to know. I never took sound cards seriously so I *assumed* Creative Labs' was a good card.
Old 02-17-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank for all the help. I'll start researching your options. My PC only has the built-in sound card.

BTW, I was looking at the HP Digital Media Receiver here. Are these things any good?

Thanks again.

Last edited by DVD.guy; 02-17-04 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by DVD.guy
Thank for all the help. I'll start researching your options. My PC only has the built-in sound card.

BTW, I was looking at the HP Digital Media Receiver here. Are these things any good?

Thanks again.
Hmm, no digital audio out bothers me a little. Also, have to have Ethernet connection, no HPNA option, but I suppose you could always go wireless if you don't have Ethernet where you plan to locate it.

I also have an Audiotron, and I love it. However, it is a lot more expensive than this HP unit.