Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on home audio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-04, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on purchasing some new audio equiptment and a dvd player, but I need a little advice. For starters, I don't have too much money, $500 is my max for the whole setup, but I would prefer to keep it at $400 because I have around $400 in GC to amazon.

Currently I have a set of technics speakers from around 95... They are decent, but not great. My main question is should I just go and buy a reciever, dvd player (mine is dead), and a subwoofer all seperatly? Or should I go buy a home theater in a box. If I Buy all of the components seperatly, I was thinking about going with the Panasonic SA-XR25S reciever, the Toshiba 4900 DVD player, and I have no idea on a sub woofer.

As for the home theater in a box, I noticed that I could get a refurbished Onkyo HTS760 for around $299, but I would still need a DVD player and shipping is $100 for the system (I have amazon gift certificates so I have to shop there), whereas I can get free shipping at amazon for the panasonic reciever, and toshiba dvd player.

Or I could go with the Sony 6600DP, but shipping on that is like $80... and I haven't read anywhere if the system is good or bad.

So what should I do? Deal with my existing speakers that were decent but not great in 1995 or buy a whole setup.

Also, on the Onkyo system, if I really don't have a place for the rear center speaker, is it bad if I don't use it? In my living room my couch backs up to a big window, so I couldn't put the speaker anywhere other than on topof my couch, which wouldn't work well.

Thanks for the Help,
Matthew Zolton

Last edited by Matthew Zolton; 01-10-04 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Given your budget, seems like you really need to keep the Technics speakers as part of the new system.

I've seen some interesting discussions of that Panasonic receiver and its big brother the XR45. Seems like people don't know quite what to make of them -- the (digital amp) technology is apparently fairly new for consumer-level receivers. In any event, looks to me like the gist of those comments has generally been that they're nice little receivers, produce good quality sound. I'd suggest hunting around the internet for some audio-specific forums and reviews of the receiver. Looks like a good value, though.

I also see good things around the web about that Toshiba 4900 dvd player. Also seems like a good value pick.

The Sony SAWM200 subwoofer is $89.97 and might make a good entry-level sub. That would keep you around $400.

I would definitely recommend buying separates over a HTIB, although if you decide to do HTIB I've heard the Onkyo 760 system you mentioned is considered one of the best values out there.

Overall, it looks like you've given yourself some good options. Good luck putting together your system!

Edit: I also noticed that Amazon has an Onkyo (refurb) TX-SR600 (last year's model, very minor revisions for this year's acclaimed 601) for $299.99 (through some kind of affiliated re-seller); it's here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172561 .... IF you are willing to spend around $500 on your setup and you want to go through Amazon, and if your gift cards would work on that purchase, then that might be something to think about. Onkyo's are excellent, and I'm thinking about getting a 601/701 myself.

Edit2: Looks like you might get whacked on shipping for the refurb Onkyo, just like the HTIB, so maybe not a good deal.

Edit3: The Panasonic XR45 is only $75 more than the 25, would still keep you under $500 and has gotten really good reviews. Not sure about the additional features over the 25, though.

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-10-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the followup, I appriciate it. My only problem is I have no idea of the quality of my technics speakers compared to the ones in that Onkyo set. If I buy the Onkyo set will it give me much better sound than if I bought the Panasonic reciever that I mentioned and my technics speakers? This is my main question. Personally I've read GREAT things about the Onkyo system, but because I really have no way to compare performance, I have no idea how much better those speakers are than the Technics ones that I got when I was fifteen.

Thanks for the help, I am anxious to make a decision, I'm getting tired of all the research when I really can't compare what I have to any other system.

Matthew Zolton