Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do both TV and DVD player need "16:9" mode...?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do both TV and DVD player need "16:9" mode...?

Old 12-09-03, 12:14 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do both TV and DVD player need "16:9" mode...?

Do both the TV and the DVD player need "16:9" mode to take advantage of the Higher Resolution feature when watching widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV?

Or does the TV only need the feature turned on and the DVD will just send out the widescreen picture to 4:3 that "Thinks" it is widescreen when the featured is turned on?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-09-03, 12:51 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maplewood
Posts: 462
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let's start with the tv: either you have a 16:9 or a 4:3 screen. it sounds like you have a 4:3. a 16:9 tv is the only tv that can take advantage of an anamorphic transfer (usually the disc will say 'enhanced version for 16:9').

your dvd player is probably the setting, in your case, that is more important. you should have a preference for either 4:3 (i.e. pan/scan), letterbox, or 16:9. this setting is what tells the dvd what format to play out to your television.

i don't know if i answered your question clearly, but hopefully it shed some light on it.
Old 12-09-03, 01:40 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
BSTNFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NW of Boston
Posts: 1,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dglaser6
let's start with the tv: either you have a 16:9 or a 4:3 screen. it sounds like you have a 4:3. a 16:9 tv is the only tv that can take advantage of an anamorphic transfer (usually the disc will say 'enhanced version for 16:9').
This is not true. A few TVs that are 4:3 feature a 16:9 mode that will show an enhanced picure from an anamorphic DVD.

To answer the original question: The DVD player should be set as if the TV is 16:9 and the TV (when set to the 16:9 mode) will detect this and react accordingly.
Old 12-09-03, 02:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maplewood
Posts: 462
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my bad. i guess i'll have to investigate some of those tv's.
Old 12-10-03, 01:38 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To expand upon what BSTNFAN wrote, all DVD players are capable of outputting in 16:9. To take advantage of it, you do need a TV that has a 16:9 mode.
Old 12-10-03, 03:25 AM
  #6  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not all DVD players are capable of outputting in 16:9...only progressive scan DVD players can do this.
Old 12-10-03, 05:26 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 1,075
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pneutin
not all DVD players are capable of outputting in 16:9...only progressive scan DVD players can do this.
Incorrect. Any DVD player can output in 16:9 format but unless your TV is a 16:9 widescreen model or a 4:3 model with a 16:9 vertical compression mode it will look distorted.
Old 12-10-03, 09:44 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chipmac
Incorrect. Any DVD player can output in 16:9 format but unless your TV is a 16:9 widescreen model or a 4:3 model with a 16:9 vertical compression mode it will look distorted.
Thanks.

I am going to buy a TV with 16:9 mode, so I will not need to purchase a new DVD player.
Old 12-10-03, 10:18 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,703
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Thanks.

I am going to buy a TV with 16:9 mode, so I will not need to purchase a new DVD player.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new DVD player?
Old 12-10-03, 11:09 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new DVD player?
Because you need a TV with 16:9 Mode (turns your 4:3 TV into Widescreen) to display the widescreen picture from the DVD.

16:9 mode will take most of the resolution from the Black Bars and shift it into the "Widescreen" picture that is displayed in the 4:3 screen.
Old 12-10-03, 12:38 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either way you don't need to buy a new DVD player, and you do not need a TV with a 16:9 mode to display the widescreen picture from a DVD.

If your TV does not have a 16:9 mode, set your player to output 4:3 letterbox.
Old 12-10-03, 12:51 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,703
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Either way you don't need to buy a new DVD player, and you do not need a TV with a 16:9 mode to display the widescreen picture from a DVD.

If your TV does not have a 16:9 mode, set your player to output 4:3 letterbox.
Right, that's what I was thinking. I have a 27" Sony WEGA with the 16:9 mode, but IMO it doesn't look good enough to warrant a new TV purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.