Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Player has lost sound! Help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 12:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
Longtime lurker, first time poster...

I woke up this morning and can no longer get any sound out of my dvd player. It will play cds just fine, but as soon as I try to play a DVD I get no audio whatsoever. I watched Resident Evil last night and the sound was great. The thing is nothing has changed since then, unless zombies snuck into my house and futzed with it.

Its a Sony DVP-S560D player with Dolby Digital and DTS decoder built in and turned on in the DVD setup menu. It's going into an Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R500 through a Digital Input cable. The Onkyo receiver also has Dolby and DTS decoders. I thought my cable might have gone bad, but the audio from a CD in the DVD player comes through and sounds fine.

Could my decoders in my DVD player have just gone kaput overnight? Is it time to buy a new player, this one is just about three years old?!

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-30-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have the decoders in your DVD player turned on and you don't have the 6 analog cables coming from the DVD player to the receiver you will NOT get any sound. The only way you will get sound from the DVD player (when playing DVD's) using the Optical or Coaxial output of the DVD player to the input of the receiver is if the decoders on the DVD player are turned OFF. When you turn the decoders ON in the DVD player it ONLY sends out audio through the 5.1 cables (6 cables total) that MUST be connected to the 6 analog inputs on your receiver (if it even has them).

The decoders on the receiver will be superior to what is on the DVD player so I would simply do it the easy way and turn OFF the decoders on the DVD player and then it will pass the audio through the digital cable to your receiver and it's decoders will kick in. Also when in the DVD players setup be sure the setting for DTS is set to bitstream and NOT PCM or you will not get 5.1 DTS audio.
Old 12-01-03, 11:49 PM

I'd try another cable. Audio from a cd played on it doesn't use the digital cable(I don't think). The cd music uses your L/R rca cables. If your music is coming from all your speakers, it's pro logic. Changing digital cable is easiest test...........Good luck!

I'm thinking that's the problem, because you said it worked fine the night before, and nothing changed..........

Last edited by emoxley; 12-01-03 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by emoxley
I'd try another cable. Audio from a cd played on it doesn't use the digital cable(I don't think). The cd music uses your L/R rca cables. If your music is coming from all your speakers, it's pro logic. Changing digital cable is easiest test...........Good luck!

I'm thinking that's the problem, because you said it worked fine the night before, and nothing changed..........
Actually CD audio DOES go through the digital cable. His problem is he gets no sound when playing DVD's which is where the decoders kick in and if he has his DVD player set to decode the DVD's then the audio is ONLY output from the 6 analog outputs on the DVD player (nothing through the digital cable) and if he does not have the 6 analog cables connected between the DVD player and receiver he will get no audio. All that is needed is to turn OFF the decoding on the DVD player and the player will then output a bitstream through the digital cable and it will get decoded by the receiver (that will have better decoders anyways).
Old 12-02-03, 04:10 PM

Why then, has my different dvd players told me to connect the red & white L/R rca jacks, if I was going to use it to listen to cds or cd-r discs?
Also, since he said he didn't change anything, I figured if it was the decoder, it wouldn't have worked the night before..........and he said it worked fine.
Oh well, whatever..........
Old 12-02-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why then, has my different dvd players told me to connect the red & white L/R rca jacks, if I was going to use it to listen to cds or cd-r discs?
Also, since he said he didn't change anything, I figured if it was the decoder, it wouldn't have worked the night before..........and he said it worked fine.
Oh well, whatever..........
If you read the first post he CLEARLY says he can get CD audio "through his digital cable" but can not get a DVD's audio to work. As he is saying and I am saying you CAN play CD's through the digital cable. He needs to disable the DVD decoding on the DVD player to get audio from DVD's through the digital cable.
Old 12-02-03, 06:21 PM

I know exactly what he said..........
you don't seem to understand what I was saying.
just forget it..........I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to make you understand.........

Splice............let us know what it turned out to be?
I'm really curious now. Thx.
Old 12-02-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Th waste of time is ALL mine since you can't get it through your mind that CD audio DOES go through the digital cable!

Your dismissed!!
Old 12-03-03, 05:36 PM

Ok Frank S...........
I researched this a little more, and I guess you are right about the digital cable.
I publicly apologize to you.

I still wonder why my dvd manual said that.........
Old 12-03-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still wonder why my dvd manual said that.........
It doesn't surprise me that the owners manual is giving you false-misleading info. It must be a game that manufacturers play that when they do a owners manual they do it in a way that is least logical and seems to be made purposely to confuse!