Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a new DVD player. I have a few problems. One, I want it soon enough that I won't be able to do proper research. Two, I don't want to just buy what seems to be good and find out later (as I did with my last Sony) that it doesn't do something I deem to be important.

Here's my criteria. And, before someone refers me to some Pioneer Elite Reference Standard DVD player, as always, price is an issue. Not adverse to paying for quality, but I do need something reasonable.

Must have
  • Progressive Scan
  • 3:2 Pulldown
  • play DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R, CD-RW
  • play DVD, VCD, SVCD

Other things I might care about
  • Other formats, notably DivX and XviD.
  • Brand name
  • Ability to get it at a B&M store. Around here, that means Fry's, Best Buy, Ultimate Electronics, Ciruit City, etc.

I don't want a changer, but I'm open to any suggestions. Unlike most people who ask these kinds of questions, I don't have any idea of what I want (and thus looking for someone to validate said purchase) and I really will pick from something that is suggested.
Old 11-10-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the Samsung DVD-HD931.

You need a TV with DVI input to mak it work.

Read the uses comments on Cnet to see the pros/cons on the DVD player.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_DVD_...-30460851.html
Old 11-10-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Check out the Samsung DVD-HD931.

You need a TV with DVI input to mak it work.

Read the uses comments on Cnet to see the pros/cons on the DVD player.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_DVD_...-30460851.html
Not true.

The player has 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and 480i/480p component video) as well as DVI.

http://www.1-877camcorder.com/dvdhd931.html
Old 11-10-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. I do have a DVI input and nothing to do with it. That's pretty cool, and if I ever get a reciever with DVI, I can just move the DVD to composite.

However, there's a few problems with this player.
  • No SVCD or VCD playback. This is pretty close to a deal breaker.
  • Cost. I'd like to keep this under $200. If this was the perfect DVD player, I might spring for it. Unfortunately, after my last DVD player buying experience, a DVD player has become a commodity item. While I'd love to have the bleeding edge, my pocketbook says that buying just behind the edge makes much more economic sense.

Any other ideas? Or can someone prove that this player will play VCD and SVCD?

Also, are all (or most) progressive scan DVD players capable of 3:2 pulldown? Or is that a separate option?
Old 11-10-03, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Not true.

The player has 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and 480i/480p component video) as well as DVI.

I believe what he meant is that you need DVI for the 720p/1080i output. Otherwise it is just a normal progressive scan player. It does have Faroudja’s DCDi, though, which is one reason for its higher price.
Old 11-10-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NikePenguin
I believe what he meant is that you need DVI for the 720p/1080i output. Otherwise it is just a normal progressive scan player. It does have Faroudja’s DCDi, though, which is one reason for its higher price.
Yeah but it only uses Faroudja through the DVI and the component ouput sucks from what I hear.
Old 11-10-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Not true.

You are 100% correct.

But, there is no reason to buy this DVD player unless you have an HDTV that has a DVI connector (or if you are going to buy the HDTV in the future). The price is too high, you can purchase another DVD player at half the cost without the DVI connector.
Old 11-10-03, 05:59 PM

I have read speculation that the Faroudja is not used over the component output. I definitely see a better picture from dvi than component. However, like Iron_Giant stated, the only reason to own this player is for the dvi capability. Even then, it seems best suited to the Samsung DLPs. I have read that the Sony GW LCDs have a compatibility issue with the 931.
Old 11-10-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can still find a Panasonic RP62 (without a "B" in the serial number) grab it! It has the Faroudja de-interlace chip and can be had for under $100. It will beat almost anything out there under $300 in price. I grab one from Tweeters about 7 months ago as a secondary player to my RP91 and it has been great!