Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NEED Quick Component Video Setup Help!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-08-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

OK, here' the deal:

I have a 47" WS Samsung HD-ready TV. On the back are two component video inputs. One is labeled 480i/480p ("#1") and the other is labeled 480p/1080i ("#2").

If I plug my PS2 into #2 the picture goes all crazy except on one game where I can specifically choose "progressive scan." It works fine if I plug it into #1.

I have a Toshiba SD-4800 PS DVD player, and that works fine whichever I plug it into. But my question is, WHICH one should the DVD player be plugged into for best picture? Why does the PS2 go screwy in the other comp. input? What, exactly, is the best way to hook these up?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...!
Old 11-08-03, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samsung component inputs are a bit screwy. At least they are on their DLP HDTVs.

Anyway, sounds like your best bet is to use Component 1 for your PS2 and Component 2 for your dvd player.

Your PS2 doesnt work on component 2 when it is sending a 480i signal. If you turn off the progressive scan on your dvd player, you will get the same effect.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PS2 - input#1 (480i i= Interlaced)
Toshiba - input #2 (480p- p= Progressive)

I don't own a PS2 so this is a guess, it's not progressive scan by default. Can you play a DVD on the PS2 while connected to input #2? Maybe it's just your games. I'd try a DVD to see how it displays. I bet the DVD's will default to progressive mode.

Toshiba is a progressive scan device. That's why it works on either input as they both support 480p.

Either way, it would be best to use the PS2 on input #1 & Toshiba on input #2.

Sonicflood
Old 11-08-03, 09:54 PM

OK, so the PS2, with component cables, is playing in 480 interlaced, so am I getting any improved picture quality over standard S-video? Or only if I play a game in progressive scan mode? Why is one also 1080i, and why would I want that/what would use that specifically?

And will I get the same video quality w/my DVD player regardless of whether I plug it into #1 or #2 (480p either way, right, which is what I want?)?

THANKS again!
Old 11-08-03, 10:01 PM

Component is an improvemnt over s-video even if the signal is 480i. Do a comparison and you will see a difference.

One is 1080i for a hdtv decoder box, basically (there are dvd players that will output a 1080i signal).

DVD quality will be better on component 1 if your tv has a better deinterlacer than your dvd player. You would have to turn off progressive scan though.
Old 11-09-03, 07:51 PM

OK, so (1) Leave the PS2 plugged in via component and I'll get better picture (seems true), and (2) progressive scan DVD player can be plugged into either to get 480p, but I could turn off the PS on the DVD player and let my TV do the deinterlacing and see if that looks better (because I'm still getting PS picture, right?)??
THANKS.
Old 11-09-03, 08:06 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have made things more complicated with my previous post. Sorry.

The easiest is to leave PS2 in Component1 and your dvd player in component 2 with progressive scan on. You cannot use component 2 with progressive scan off on your dvd player.

The other option would make things complicated if your tv has a deinterlacer and it did a better job than the one in your dvd player. That would require you to find a solution to connect both ps2 and dvd to component 1.
Old 11-10-03, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Maybe I shouldn't have made things more complicated with my previous post. Sorry.

The easiest is to leave PS2 in Component1 and your dvd player in component 2 with progressive scan on. You cannot use component 2 with progressive scan off on your dvd player.

The other option would make things complicated if your tv has a deinterlacer and it did a better job than the one in your dvd player. That would require you to find a solution to connect both ps2 and dvd to component 1.
Excellent. Got it now I think. I'l leave PS2 in #1 and DVD in #2, as long as that's how to get the best picture out of each. (I did try turning off the progressive scan and it went haywire.) So, I'll get improved picture quality w/the PS2 over S-video (and even better if the game has a progressive scan option, which some do), and I'll get the progressive scan picture with the DVD player too. Looks good. Thanks--