DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component vs S-Video

Old 11-04-03, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component vs S-Video

I have been using a component video (480p) connection from my Panasonic DVD player (DVD-F85) to my HD monitor. Yesterday after insistence from my better half and son, I also connected it via an S-Video as well. (They always miss switching to right video input). Now the Panasonic's manual is not very clear in making multiple connections. I have heard some DVD players balk at the use of both compoment video and s-video connections. Will I continue to get 480p via component video and whatever via s-video?
Old 11-04-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IF I understand the question correctly the answer is no. At least on my set, the 480p only comes through the component cables. I have both hooked up because 480p will not run in "stretched" mode for my 4:3 material, therefore I have the S-Video also hooked up so I can use that mode. Doing an A-B comparison I can see a difference. The compenent video is more natural looking but I have to admit they were both pretty close.

Then again I could be entirely wrong.
Old 11-04-03, 07:39 PM

I believe what bunts is asking is if the dvd player will "know" that both connections are being used and if that will affect the output over component.

The only problem I think that could arise is if your player can only send one signal at a time (480i or 480p). Does your player have a switch for progressive mode? If it does, see if switching progressive scan on causes you to lose the picture on the s-video connection.

Don't forget that your hdtv may be able to deinterlace 480i.
Old 11-05-03, 08:01 AM

Hi Nike, this is exactly what I wanted to ask. I have set progressive scan on. I watched Finding Nemo last night and found the picture brilliant. I watched the movie on both outputs (video 1 over s-video and video 2 over component). Though I can say that component was better looking, I would still like to know if the player is down converting to 480i since I have connected both the outputs.
Old 11-05-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I would still like to know if the player is down converting to 480i since I have connected both the outputs.
I would say yes. Your manual might tell you this answer, but I doubt it. It more than likely moves up the scale from composite -> s-video -> component. Hope my answer helps and isn't too confusing (it's too early to answer tech questions).
Old 11-05-03, 02:46 PM

I just spoke with a Panasonic rep. She told me the player doesn't downconvert signal and will output signal compatible with the connection. It sounds like a good news but I would run some comparison once again.
Old 11-05-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Heh, good news--I have the F65, and I have it hooked up similarly; s-video to 'regular' TV input component to 'HD' input. A lot of times I'll watch whatever on the HD input, which stretches a non-progressive image; but we also have a HD cable box, which has to use the same image, and sometimes I don't want to fool with switching cables. I would *think* the player would know "progressive = component" so it doesn't even try to output a progressive image over s-video, but can/does over progressive. Anamorphic DVD over the prog/HD input does look *different* [colors and such are much brighter and more contrasting], from regular [or even anamorphic] dvd over the S-video, but I can't tell yet if it looks 'better'. My nontechnical eye is leaning toward yes, but I look forward to hearing your updates. It seems kind of silly for it *not* to be able to output something that fits the connection that's being used.
Old 11-05-03, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by bunts
Hi Nike, this is exactly what I wanted to ask. I have set progressive scan on. I watched Finding Nemo last night and found the picture brilliant. I watched the movie on both outputs (video 1 over s-video and video 2 over component). Though I can say that component was better looking, I would still like to know if the player is down converting to 480i since I have connected both the outputs.
I wouldn't worry about this anymore. Sounds like you are definitely getting 480p over component and 480i over s-video. The dvd player would not convert to 480p then convert back to 480i.

If you really want to be sure, disconnect the s-video, then compare the component connection with progressive on and off.

btw, can your monitor deinterlace 480i?
Old 11-06-03, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A DVD player will not need to downconvert to 480i for the S-Video because DVD's are already in a 480i format. It's your Progressive scan DVD player or TV's line doubler that de-interlaces the signal for a progressive scan picture. If you set your DVD player to output a progressive scan signal it will ONLY output the progressive signal via the component output. S-Video and composite will ALWAYS be interlaced.