Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New low for HTIB at Wal-mart...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to laugh when I saw this HTIB system in the current Wal-mart ad. $88.64 (was $98.73!) gets you all this (and I quote):

"Progressive Scan DVD player, 100 watt Dolby Digital amplifier with 6-speaker system and color-coded set-up guide. Plays DVD, CD, MP-3, Photo CD and CD-R/RW formatted discs. No. STS75E."

And this from the web listing:

* Built-in DVD player also plays CDs
* Dolby Digital decoder for compatible DVDs
* Dolby Pro Logic decoder for compatible videotapes
* 5 matching satellite speakers
* Separate subwoofer reproduces bass frequencies
* Color-coded speaker connections for simple setup
* Inputs to easily hook up your VCR
* Full-function remote control with 2 AA batteries

Sorry, I just had to "share".
Old 11-01-03, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like the audiovox repackaged.

well, i see HTIB as the ultimate low for home audio...
Old 11-01-03, 11:28 AM
Needs to provide a working email

So where's the funny? The fact that they are trying to make a 5.1 setup that isn't priced for extreme audiophiles only?
Old 11-01-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn! It's out of stock. I want to get rid of my Onkyo system and get that monster of a 5.1 system.
Old 11-01-03, 02:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Drat! "100 watts of total system power" but it's OOS.
Old 11-01-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
So where's the funny? The fact that they are trying to make a 5.1 setup that isn't priced for extreme audiophiles only?

Better yet just buy some headphones and jack them into your TV. Be about the same thing.
Old 11-01-03, 09:30 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Mopower
Better yet just buy some headphones and jack them into your TV. Be about the same thing.
But isn't it a GOOD thing to have DVD systems at just about all price points? If DVD prices had stayed where they were when DVD first came out ($400+ for a player plus $400+ for a decoder plus $400+ for a receiver plus the speakers) there would be far fewer DVD titles and far fewer locations where you could buy one. I think it is GREAT that there are complete DVD/decoder/receiver/speaker packages for under $100-- the more people that won't pay more for a system get one, the more market penetration there is to be helpful for those willing to pay more.
Old 11-02-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
But isn't it a GOOD thing to have DVD systems at just about all price points? If DVD prices had stayed where they were when DVD first came out ($400+ for a player plus $400+ for a decoder plus $400+ for a receiver plus the speakers) there would be far fewer DVD titles and far fewer locations where you could buy one. I think it is GREAT that there are complete DVD/decoder/receiver/speaker packages for under $100-- the more people that won't pay more for a system get one, the more market penetration there is to be helpful for those willing to pay more.
Your point is well taken that lowered price points are a boon to the acceptance of DVD. But there are limits, below which all one is really getting is trash. In this case, I am inclined to believe that one is getting what one pays for. Surely one doesn't have to be a home theater fanatic to realize that.

What sort of a system do you REALLY think that one can get for $88.64? It is supposed to include a progressive scan DVD player, a surround amplifier, a subwoofer, and five surround speakers.

Do you really think that such a system can provide a decent surround sound? Will it last? Is it really better than no surround system at all? I would venture to guess that the speakers on a regular TV will sound better than this system. Perhaps I am wrong; if so, it is the bargain of the decade.

It is true that "Home Theater In a Box" is much disparaged here, perhaps unfairly. The opinion of many is that such systems offer mediocre to poor performance and aren't really worth their low cost. Even if one accepts that some are good deals it strikes me as very unlikely that the "Durabrand" system I listed above would even be marginally adequate.

There was some discussion in a thread in the main forum to the effect that some people bought DVD players but didn't understand what the fuss was about since the picture and sound weren't as good as that produced by their VCRs. A crappy DVD player and display does sometimes matter. If people are being sold junk, how can they learn to appreciate the DVD format?

Last edited by lizard; 11-02-03 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 01:44 PM

I bought a DVD player that was good at the time (Panny RV31), and a stereo system in box (RCA RT2350).. And I couldn't be happier. Everything works great.
Old 11-02-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Damn! It's out of stock. I want to get rid of my Onkyo system and get that monster of a 5.1 system.
What's the knock for? Is this a terrific system - no. Will it suffice for some people who just want the experience - yes.

Most of all, let's not forget the concept behind Wal-mart - more cheaper. Besides, you need to be thinking more with your whole head, and less with your "I love my gadgets and movies" porition. (Yes, I have that mode too). Not everybody out there is concerned with movie. More to the point, not everybody out there can afford most of the stuff on this board, let a lone continually fund it.

Case in point, I was at Best Buy the other day and a girl was asking her dad to pick up The Lion King on dvd. She wasn't being bratty, or really you to think otherwise, I'd say 14 or so. But he said "That's a lot of money for that." - it was on sale for $15.99. Now for most of us that's a deal, since we obviously know that dvds are usually priced $20 and up. So please, before you lose sight of the "big" picture, don't go knocking on a system that could mean the world to some people, even if it's not up to your standards.
Old 11-02-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't have some zillion dollar HT setup [although the total expenditure did just skyrocket with the purchase of my HDTV], and while I don't think I'd buy that unit, it might be great for some people.
My first 'home theater' sound system was a HTiB from...WalMart. It was an Emerson ProLogic setup, something lik 250 totalwatts, like 150 bucks. For what i had at the time [cable, video games], it was great. Once I got a DVD player and started doing research, I sold that one and bought....another HTiB. This time a 500 watt DD/5.1/DTS Kenwood receiver with subwoofer. It's still not going to impress the guys at Now!, but it works for me. And is affordable, and all works together.
This unit at WalMart might be a great way to get someone into 'home theater'--maybe parents/grandparents who don't really care if their system blows the doors off, and just want something to check it out and that is easy to put together. And this unit would probably be excellent for someone in a dorm or small apartment or something like that; can't go too loud, it's all inclusive, and it's sure better than nothing. And even if someone does buy it, then does research and really wants to drop some bucks, it's only 90$ [although WalMart.com's shipping costs are high], so they're not out a lot.
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone here to be interested in it, but then again, we're not exactly Joe Sixpack. [Although I did buy 2 dvd's from WalMart today.]
I do agree, however--90 bucks does seem like a ridiculously low price for what you allegedly get. I don't mind the HTiB idea of it, and I know WalMart sells some cheap and some inexpensive stuff, but still.....Then again, all this unit is, is a DVD player, some speakers, and probably an audio jack pass through to hook up a VCR. There is no 'receiver' to speak of, and that's probably the biggest expense in an HTiB; and I know some people who have those forty dollar Apex dvd players, and love them.
Old 11-02-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by Superman07

Case in point, I was at Best Buy the other day and a girl was asking her dad to pick up The Lion King on dvd. She wasn't being bratty, or really you to think otherwise, I'd say 14 or so. But he said "That's a lot of money for that." - it was on sale for $15.99. Now for most of us that's a deal, since we obviously know that dvds are usually priced $20 and up.
I've actually started thinking that way--I've been able to find dvd's so cheaply recently, and with the TV shows on DVD that run 10-50 bucks for 5-20 hours of programming, a 15 dollar movie dvd makes me think twice. Depends on the movie, of course--while I liked Lion King, Idon't know if I liked it *that* much [there are other factors as well--I'm using Netflix more, and we just moved so our house payment is about 40% more than it used to be, so little things like 10-20$ dvd's every week or so add up.] For me to buy dvd's now, they either have to be *really* cheap, have a lot of content, or something I'llwatch multiple times [which narrows it down--I think I've only watched maybe 3 dvd's more than once, and probably 1/3 of my collection is currently at least partially unwatched.]