Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody have the Initial 7" Portable DVD Player (IDM-1731)?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A reviewer on Circuit City's web site said the player scratched some of his DVDs. I was wondering if anyone here has the player, and if they noticed anything similar. Thanks.
I bought the INL IDM1731 and it had great picture, after 2 days I noticed that some of my DVDs looked scratched around the outer most edges . This Player has small felt/cotton pads on the inside where the DVD spins.These pads get frayed, collect dirt, and swell up with moisture like a sponge or q-tip would and when they do they scratch your DVDs . I had 3 brand new dvds scratched by these pads,and then the dvd player skipped and stopped playing these disk. I dont know if these pads were an afterthought that was added for some reason after the player was designed, but they cause problems.
Old 10-29-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have one and that has not happened to me.
Old 10-29-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I have one and that has not happened to me.
Thanks for the info. I just don't see how it would be possible. I mean, why would they put something inside the player that would have any chance of damaging the discs? Aren't these felt tips pretty much standard inside every player?
Old 10-29-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by vivarey
Thanks for the info. I just don't see how it would be possible. I mean, why would they put something inside the player that would have any chance of damaging the discs? Aren't these felt tips pretty much standard inside every player?
I will look at mine and see if the pads are there. Clearly since the disc needs to spin, I cannot imagine that there would be anything on the tray that would interrupt that.

The one thing I have noticed is that the transport is very noisy, especially when starting up. Perhaps this persons discs were already scratched and they are extrapolating the facts after hearing a noisy transport?
Old 10-29-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will look at mine and see if the pads are there. Clearly since the disc needs to spin, I cannot imagine that there would be anything on the tray that would interrupt that.
Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. It will be interesting to hear what you find inside, though.

The one thing I have noticed is that the transport is very noisy, especially when starting up. Perhaps this persons discs were already scratched and they are extrapolating the facts after hearing a noisy transport?
Or for all we know, he took it to the beach and got sand lodged inside!
Old 10-29-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was taking a look at the felt pads in question on my unit, and I don't see why these they couldn't be peeled off and removed. Do they serve any important purpose?
Old 10-30-03, 10:57 AM

some older JVC dvd players used to do this. its quite possible. the laser mechanism moves along a track, and if its poorly built, the laser can actually move up and down a little bit... the "eye" of the laser is sometimes VERY close to the disc. if it moves along its track too close, it could touch, and scratch it. ive seen it happen. i put in a perfect disc, played it, and sure enough, it came out scratched. didnt make much sense, but it happened.
Old 10-30-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you think it's the laser that's the problem? Wouldn't people be up in arms if it was true? I mean, these are pretty big sellers (because of the price) and I've only read ONE review from many sources that complained of it.
Old 10-30-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I have this one and have not had any problem like this. I actually bought it first, then the screen got two horizontal lines across it within 2 days. I returned, and have been using the new one nearly every day since for about 2 weeks without a single problem. I love it-well worth the $250 and it sure makes the train ride home go by quickly (and I'm finally getting caught up on NYPD Blue Season 2).
Old 10-30-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the testimony, uteotw. I'm hoping it's all just bad press or something.