Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for Progressive Scan 5 disc Carousel

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-19-03, 02:36 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have any opinions on what would be a good one to get. Been looking at the Panasonic DVD-F65K and the Sony DVP-NC665P. I would like to get a player that can play MP3 files as well as VCD and SVCD and anything on DVD-R or DVD-RW discs. Anybody have any ideas, or suggest anything?
Old 10-21-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the Panasonic DVD-CP72, a great player that does all the things you requested. Progressive, plays dvd audio, mp3s etc.

Only gripe, it's freakin' slow as [email protected], because like all carousels I've seen, it scans all the discs when you turn it on. Man I hate that Other than that I recommend it.
Old 10-21-03, 10:26 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried to find a Panny DVD-CP72 a couple of months back and they are nearly impossible to find. I then looked at the Panny F85K and the SONY 665P...ultimately, I ended up with the SONY. It claims to play all formats, although I havne't really tried the DVD-/+R capabilities. Overall, I liked the picture from the SONY better on my Mitsu HD TV. Neither of them made a huge impact but the Panny didn't seem to make any difference with the Progressive Scan at all.

The only thing I miss on the SONY is the ability to view JPEG images. I have that on my Toshiba and it is a terrific thing to have for my use. I do a lot of digitial and scanned prints and its nice to have the slideshow to view right on my Mitsu, using the DVD Player.

BTW, the only difference between the SONY 665 and 685 is basicall the SACD....it wasn't worth the extra $70 for me.
Old 10-21-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up the Toshiba for my parents last Christmas because they wanted it to double as a CD player. It seems to work well and sounds good on their setup.
Old 10-22-03, 11:06 AM

I, too, have a PAnny CP72 and love it!
Find one and buy it.
Old 10-22-03, 06:50 PM

I've got a Panasonic F-85S and its been great. No problems, and you can find it now for only $130.
Old 10-24-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I've got the Panasonic F65K, and so far, I like it. The only thing, AFAIK, that the 85 offers over the 65 is up to 5.1-channel DVD audio, whereas the 65 is only 2 channel. Not an issue to me. The K and S signify black or silver chassis.
It does take a few seconds to read a new disk, but it doesn't seem to have to read them all before playing one, rather on demand. We watched Bourne Identity the other night on a 60" HDTV, and it looked awesome.
One weird thing is the way you select a disk; you have to hit Disk, then number 1-5, and it goes to it, reads it, and then plays.
I would like random playback of JPEGs, and I *think* I got it to zoom on a Jpeg once, but I couldn't replicate that. The remote is full of buttons, and it's taking a while to get used to it, but I have my old remote's buttons in my hand's memory anyway, so old habits die hard. It's also not backlit, which would be nice.
You can 'save' up to 5 resume points, which I really like--and it keeps them until you replace them. We just moved and had the player unplugged for four days; when I plugged it back in, it still had the same 4 memory slots remembered.
It does have random MP3 support, and it displays the filename [it's not quite ID3 support, but better than nothing.] One thing I would like is for the display when playing MP3's to move; it's static [as far as I can tell.] Wasn't an issue with the small tv, but we just bought an RPTV, so the burnin concern is always there.
It is supposed to only play DVD-R/DVD-RW, but I've put a DVD+R in, and that played fine. It also plays HighMAT, whatever that is.
I like it; it's not a professional player the guys at Now! might sell you, but it works for me [I also got it for less than 60 bucks with a gift cert, so that definitely helped.]
It is very slim [short], maybe an inch tall, but it is wide/deep, around 17" square, so we're having trouble finding an affordable component rack that will fit it.