Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Matrix Reloaded versus Integra

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing ..

Pumped this soundtrack way up .. using approx. 65% power level on my Onkyo Integra 6.2. Two scenes totally wiped my receiver off the map.

1) Agent jumping onto between car from original vehicle to Cadillac.

2) The red spot appearances on side of skyscraper towards end.

Massive amounts of low bass energy used during both sequences. ... before the receiver ... hrrrmppphffff, ummmm, yeah, shut down! Ok, not so funny .. not freakin at all. Anyway, considering the amount of lfe info thrown in, ... and at times with other films on DVD, I've only had this happen to make one other occurance. No sub used.

So, I'm curious .. other than an obviously impressive soundtrack on Reloaded, has anyone experienced any problems directly related to this disk?

Secondly, I'll be in the market for a good power amp come next spring or so. Be takin a ride up to Canada, so I'm checking out deals on Bryston for one. Any other recommendations or leads for research value?

Currently, running a Paradigm Monitor line up which will be upgraded end of next year .. that is, if I don't spank 'em too hard in the meanwhile. The Integra (claims) pops out 100watts per channel ... but shuts down on 65% load (not without some noticeable distortion ... ).. the nerve ... so, think I'm going to need a serious upgrade on this end. Intend to keep this on as a processor for another year or so. Otherwise, my room is heavily furnished and about 300 square ft.

The Integra's gotta be retired and soon. Any input is appreciated ............

Last edited by Rice Sniffer; 10-17-03 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 04:33 PM

I thought I would give 65% a try on my receiver but it is far too loud at 45%. I think the lfe was pushing the sub beyond its limits though. I would like to hear how a better sub handles that audio.
Old 10-18-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, there is talk on the DVD Talk area about the film being "too low" in sound, and not having much punch at all.

Remember that increasing the volume on a receiver is increasing exponentially, and not incrementally. In other words, at 65% of the volume, you are not at 65% of the total volume potential. It's much more.
Old 10-18-03, 11:21 PM

I just went over to read that thread. Funny, because when I was listening to the audio today, I did think the center channel/voices were too low. The rest of the audio did not seem to be low to me though.
Old 10-19-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm running a Paradigm Monitor Setup with a PDR-12 Sub, all powered by a Denon 3803, and I had no problem pumping that sucker up, especially on the Highway chase.

Time to go Denon. Or Pioneer Elite. Or Marantz. Or Sunfire. or Outlaw Audio.
Old 10-19-03, 06:39 PM

my yamaha gave everything it had. that movie takes a LOT. however, my yamaha is driving a 4 ohm speaker with 88dB sensitivity. most revievers would have given up.
Old 10-23-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't get any "punch" in the sound as to how loud everything was. Sure the sub nearly distroyed the house, but didn't really get all the sound as the first one did.
Old 10-02-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't recommend turning any component that high just for shits and giggles, especially receivers. I'm shocked you did it on a much less expensive receiver. No wonder it toasted it. It might have toasted a seperate amp, unless it was a beast, had you done the same thing.

I used to have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and I could never stand past 40%, and that was extremely loud, in a moderate-sized room.