Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

my HT system

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my HT system questions

i have a Sony 34" WEGA Widescreen HDTV (KV34HS510) and a directvTiVo so far, with a cheap Toshiba DVD player from Costco.

i am thinking about purchasing a Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player because it has a DVI output and seems to be reasonably priced ($300).

i'm also thinking about buying an Onkyo HT-S760 receiver system ($500).

a little bit of background. i live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and the room where i will have my surround sound set up is not too big.

i was just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions as to what i should buy. TIA.

Last edited by scslider; 10-03-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 01:22 PM

Onkyo is well-regarded so I don't think you can go wrong with that system.

The Bravo D1 is a less expensive alternative to the Samsung 931. I have heard there have been a few issues with it so you may want to go over to avsforum.com to see what owners say about it.
Old 10-04-03, 01:11 AM

Off topic

I realize this is slightly off topic, but since you have a Sony KV-34HS510 I had to ask. I also own that TV, but I've had a slight annoyance with it. I haven't had a chance to contact Sony about it, but I wanted to see if you have the problem too before I do contact them, since it could be a problem with the model in general.

If I watch a DVD while outputting progressive from my DVD player it is scrambled if I try and show it in "normal" mode, which is a 4:3 image with black bars on each side. It happens on both component inputs from either my DVD player or my xbox. If I change it to "Full" or any of the Zoom modes it displays the picture fine, no scrambling at all. This seems strange to me, but if it's a "feature" of the TV I could live with it since I rarely watch anything in "Normal" mode.

If you don't have this problem with progressive inputs I will definitely be sending it in under warranty. Thanks for your help.

--
Steve
Old 10-04-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just be sure to keep ypur receipt for the HD931.

I have seen reports that the DVI output may or may not work in all situations because of the HDCP issue. Some people have reported not being able to get some resolutions or all resoulions depending on the display.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-03, 10:31 PM

it will work with the sony tv, ive tried it.

however, the term "work" is very relative... i thought the picture was awful with DVI in the highest res output. the denon dvd-900 or dvd-910 was MUCH better in just progressive through component. for this reason i also say keep your receipt.

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Just be sure to keep ypur receipt for the HD931.

I have seen reports that the DVI output may or may not work in all situations because of the HDCP issue. Some people have reported not being able to get some resolutions or all resoulions depending on the display.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-03, 09:15 AM

Re: Off topic

Originally posted by Lakanta
I realize this is slightly off topic, but since you have a Sony KV-34HS510 I had to ask. I also own that TV, but I've had a slight annoyance with it. I haven't had a chance to contact Sony about it, but I wanted to see if you have the problem too before I do contact them, since it could be a problem with the model in general.

If I watch a DVD while outputting progressive from my DVD player it is scrambled if I try and show it in "normal" mode, which is a 4:3 image with black bars on each side. It happens on both component inputs from either my DVD player or my xbox. If I change it to "Full" or any of the Zoom modes it displays the picture fine, no scrambling at all. This seems strange to me, but if it's a "feature" of the TV I could live with it since I rarely watch anything in "Normal" mode.

If you don't have this problem with progressive inputs I will definitely be sending it in under warranty. Thanks for your help.

--
Steve
i actually haven't picked up a progressive scan DVD player yet. i think i may be leaning towards buying a Denon DVD-1600 though.

right now i am using just a normal toshiba DVD player, but i haven't had that scrambling problem in any of the modes. i can update you after i get a pro-scan DVD player though
Old 10-06-03, 03:27 PM

Thanks, I would appreciate that.

I actually just purchased the Denon DVD-1600 last night from Crutchfield because I was rather annoyed with my current progressive player. They have already shipped it so I should receive it on Wednesday, I'm rather stoked. Just so you know I wouldn't buy the Panasonic RP-92, that's the one I am currently using and I see plenty of combing and other problems while in progressive mode.

--
Steve

Last edited by Lakanta; 10-06-03 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 09:38 AM

You should check out the New Liteon dvd player.
It displays any dvd in 480p and 1080i, and everywhere inbetween so you get HD quality now.
It outputs through regular component out also so the dvi is not needed.
The real kicks are that it's region free, macravision free, and about $150 through online dealers.
There is a lengthy thread on it over at HTF.
Old 10-13-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Off topic

Originally posted by Lakanta
I realize this is slightly off topic ... If I watch a DVD while outputting progressive from my DVD player it is scrambled if I try and show it in "normal" mode, which is a 4:3 image with black bars on each side. It happens on both component inputs from either my DVD player or my xbox. If I change it to "Full" or any of the Zoom modes it displays the picture fine, no scrambling at all. This seems strange to me, but if it's a "feature" of the TV I could live with it since I rarely watch anything in "Normal" mode.
Yes, your post is off-topic. You should create a new thread instead of hijacking another thread. But since you're a new member, I think we can overlook it just this once.

The problem you are having with your TV is a known issue. I'm not sure why Sony made their 34hs510 not able to display 480p in 4:3 mode, but that's what they did. The higher end 34xbr800 and 34xbr910 do not have this problem. There is a thread about this issue at avsforum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=295770

never mind... it looks like you posted the same question on both forums.

Last edited by Joshic; 10-13-03 at 12:59 PM.