Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

27" TVs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27" TVs

Hello,

I am shopping for a 27" flat screen TV. I am looking at the Sharp 27F631 and the Sony Wega KV27FS100. Both have the 16:9 mode.

Can someone give me a comparison of the 2 models and let me know which one is better. What is your recommendation?

Also should I get the extended in house warranty?

Thanks

raaz
Old 09-29-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one can really tell you which of the 2 is better. Audio and video are both subjective to the audience. I'd suggest comparing the two in store with the same source material. If you're interested in just comparing specs then the respective Sony and Sharp web pages should be able to tell you that. I will say that Sony is known for their TV's, Sharp isn't. But, Sony makes you pay for that.
Old 09-29-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll agree with the above post and add that if the PQ seems the same to you then look at features that each one offers. Maybe one has more connections or a more user friendly remote or better PQ controls etc.
Old 09-30-03, 11:50 AM

I've been interested in the 27" Samsung HDTV (4:3) that I saw advertised in a BB ad, but didn't see it in the store last few times I went in.
Old 09-30-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz
I've been interested in the 27" Samsung HDTV (4:3) that I saw advertised in a BB ad, but didn't see it in the store last few times I went in.
Circuit City carries the Samsung 27" HDTVs, so you might want to check them out.
Old 09-30-03, 04:09 PM
Banned

I woudn't waste your money on a HDTV that is 4:3 if I was you. Your better off buying a cheap 27" monitor none HDTV and buy a widescreen Hdtv 16:9 later.

Because most movies are going to be in 16:9. it's not really going to help your movies because its 4:3. From what I've read about HDTV anything smaller then 36" isn't really going to show a true HDTV picture because of the fact that at that small of a set a true hdtv 1080I Image, the screen is so small that you will not notice a big change in the picture quality at that size of image, It will be like watching a dvd but nothing close to what HDTV can be.

So forget about that and get focas on features like 3d Comb filters that clean up the image and lots of imputs on the back for dvds and receivers.

Just a waste of money if you ask me and I think It's just a marketing thing to get people to want to buy lesser priced tv's now. but your better off buying a cheaper none hdtv and getting a real true 16:9 HDTV later.

Sony Vs Sharp, both good brands, stay away from RCA and GE if I was you, but take a look at samsung and Toshiba, these are great brands and offer great value. btw the Sony Wega are great tvs but again it's 4:3 so unless your just watching tv and not movies then buy that one or get a 16:9 widescreen tv and thank me later.

Last edited by Joe-buck.ca; 09-30-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 06:56 PM
Banned

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KV_27FS...l?tag=pdtl-img

some reviews from cnets website, I like this page a lot because people like you and me can review problems with a set. I recommend you read them.
Old 09-30-03, 09:06 PM

Sony 27" TV FS100 Model

Hello,

My friend just purchased the Sony KV27FS100 model and he said he had some problem with the 16:9 enhanced mode. I am not sure exactly what the problem was. Has anyone else experienced any problem with this TV ?
Old 09-30-03, 09:07 PM

Raj,

Check out http://www.audioreview.com/ for reviews as well.
Old 10-01-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Sony 27" TV FS100 Model

Originally posted by raaz
My friend just purchased the Sony KV27FS100 model and he said he had some problem with the 16:9 enhanced mode. I am not sure exactly what the problem was. Has anyone else experienced any problem with this TV ?
Can you ask him wha problem he's having with the 16:9 mode? It's not something I can see causing a problem, all you do is tell the TV to squeeze, and it squeezes. It's a very simple process. Find out what problem your friend is having and I'll see if I can help him with it.
Old 10-04-03, 06:45 PM

I was that friend.

The Wega TVs have an anamorphic squeeze problem where they tend to oversqueeze the picture by a few inches.

I had to get into the service menu and change the ASP1 value to correct the aspect ratio to the proper value.

I have a thread running in the HTF regarding this problem:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=155148
Old 10-05-03, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Joe-buck.ca
I woudn't waste your money on a HDTV that is 4:3 if I was you. Your better off buying a cheap 27" monitor none HDTV and buy a widescreen Hdtv 16:9 later.

Just a waste of money if you ask me and I think It's just a marketing thing to get people to want to buy lesser priced tv's now. but your better off buying a cheaper none hdtv and getting a real true 16:9 HDTV later.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on a tv, and I'm used to watching dvds on my 17" computer monitor anyways. I want HDTV for use with an HTPC. It isn't a big deal that regular tv won't look as great on it, price is a huge factor, but I don't want to spend money on a tv I would plan on replacing anyways!
Old 10-06-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Basant Nanda
The Wega TVs have an anamorphic squeeze problem where they tend to oversqueeze the picture by a few inches.

I had to get into the service menu and change the ASP1 value to correct the aspect ratio to the proper value.

Yeah, that's pretty common. Easy to change though (as you eventually figured out.) I thought maybe there was a problem with the TV not doing it or something.

Every TV you buy has to be configured, that's no different than the red being off or the picture too sharp on the factory default settings. Wouldn't call it a problem, really.