Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any reviews or thoughts on this remote?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-28-03, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kameleon?

Here is the link for the remote

It is only $60, so it doesn't seem like it would be all that bad.
Old 08-28-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not too impressive. It has very few buttons (almost a bare minimum!) even though it can learn and do macros. The 'touchscreen-like function' sees to be nothing more than just lighting some of the (few) available buttons depending on the device selected. Feh. It doesn't have the flexibility if you want a powerful remote to handle all your functions (like audio modes on your receiver, switching between multiple inputs, advanced dvd/vcr stuff, etc.).

For a few $$ more I'd recommend the MX-500 over this one. You won't feel the need to compromise or upgrade.
Old 08-28-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's an in depth review of the remote at: http://remotecentral.com/152133/index.html.

You may also want to check the user forum; there's been quite a bit of discussion about this model---some love it, other's ....

RS has a 30 day return policy; you can try it and decide for yourself risk free.
Old 08-28-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've owned one for about 4 months and really have enjoyed it. I don't have to continually adjust my audio modes, as I pretty much use auto detect on my receiver. It will allow you to switch between multiple inputs on your receiver! You have to use the number buttons to select them.

I had mine "upgraded" over the phone from Universal Electronics (makers of the remote) to add extended (advanced) functions for my Surround receiver, DVD player & VCR.

It lights up upon movement and is VERY easy to see in total darkness.

It's not a Pronto, yet it is a great remote for the price!

Sonicflood
Old 08-28-03, 10:00 PM
Cool New Member

I love my Kameleon..I've had it for a year now and it works perfectly with my HT which includes a Pioneer 811 receiver, DirecTivo, CD Jukebox, JVC S-VHS VCR and an old Panny A110 DVD.

I've got the macro's set just right and my wife is thrilled that she just presses one button to turn it all on/off and one button to switch to Directv or to the locals.

One glitch has arisen though...I just saw the all NEW Kameleon by One For All at Best Buy tonight and now I want to sell my Kameleon and get the new one!! Only thing is, it's going for $30+ more than the Radio Shack version.

I think you'll be happy with either for sure.

Alfer
Old 08-29-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It definitely looks cool. However, I had an LCD remote before, but sold it and got a hard button Sony programmable after I got tired of having to look at the damn thing every time I wanted to change the volume or scan forward on a DVD.
Old 08-30-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kame-kame-kame-kameleon, you come and gooooo, you come and goooooo, ohhh-ohhhhhh. Remotin' would be easy if you come into my hands...them golden hands....

(repeat chorus)
Old 08-30-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ianholm
It definitely looks cool. However, I had an LCD remote before, but sold it and got a hard button Sony programmable after I got tired of having to look at the damn thing every time I wanted to change the volume or scan forward on a DVD.
It's NOT an LCD screen! It's EL backlit & has a tactile response! I put a clear rubber stick on piece that serves as my orientation. I however, do not get so engrossed in a film that I cannot look at my remote!

Sonicflood
Old 08-30-03, 07:12 PM

To justify spending anything on a remote (to me) it has to completely replace all of my other remotes (SAT, DVD, AMP, and TV) by doing every available command the original remotes did, in a useable fashion. Afterall, why buy a universal remote if you have to keep your other ones around.

The Kameleon doesn't look like it could do that at all. I'd look at the MX-500(thats what I own)/700 or the newer 600/800 if you wanted RF technology.

Last edited by TLamm; 08-30-03 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-30-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Yamaha version of the Pronto touchscreen remote with my receiverand I love it. Sometimes it can get annoying to have to keep looking at the screen, but that's a small incovenience to live with when you can have fully customized buttons for each unit.
Old 08-30-03, 10:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by TLamm
To justify spending anything on a remote (to me) it has to completely replace all of my other remotes (SAT, DVD, AMP, and TV) by doing every available command the original remotes did, in a useable fashion. Afterall, why buy a universal remote if you have to keep your other ones around.

The Kameleon doesn't look like it could do that at all. I'd look at the MX-500(thats what I own)/700 or the newer 600/800 if you wanted RF technology.
If you'd have tried one you'd know it DOES offer many of the commands of the original remote.

It emulates all the most commonly used button from my DirecTivo, my Panasonic DVD, as well as the Pioneer receiver and SOny cd...I've only had to teach the remote a few extra commands to complete the whole package.

This remote beats the Sony 2100 I replaced for the Kameleon hands down..Kameleon is MUCH more user friendly and flexible.

For $60 or less it does a LOT of things that you'd have to pay twice as much for.
Old 09-09-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bestbuy has it's bigger 8-device brother: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08065
Old 09-09-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give a second (or third) nod for the MX-500.

I just got mine as a replacement for the Pronto, and I love it.

As a geek, the Pronto was fantastic in the cool & configurable departments. But it was just too damn much work to configure it properly, and the touchscreen doesn't give it the usability that hard buttons have.