Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best multi-disc player w/ progressive scan?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I need a new dvd player and I'm not sure which brand to get.

I'm looking for it to be:

1) under $200
2) multi-disc
3) ability to change discs while one is playing
4) progressive scan
5) support 3:2 pulldown
6) Not Samsung - (personal vendetta)
Old 08-18-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm in the same boat--the general opinion I've seen has been the Panasonic F85S, I think it was. Runs anywhere from 130-160. I *think* it has 3:2 pulldown, but not sure [what exactly is that?]
This is the one I'm leaning toward; but waiting for Amazon to have it in stock instead of a third party, and I wish it would come out in black.
Of course, I'm also open to any other suggestions.
Old 08-18-03, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm looking at this particular model myself to match my sony hdtv

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...k_11&oid=71462

however, i don't know if i should go ahead and get this or just wait for the newer dvd players that can take advantage of my tv's dvi input
Old 08-18-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's actually one of the three I was choosing between on CC.com. I think I leaned toward the Panny because it runs JPG disks also, and I couldn't find anything that one did that the panasonic didn't, except for maybe the different DVD recordable formats [which isnt an issue yet, we dont have a DVD burner-but I am pricing a new PC, and I'd like to get a DVD burner.]
But you're right, the tech changes so fast--we are planning to get a widescreen HDTV, and it was going to occur sometime in the next couple months, after we move, but then I heard there's usually good sales around Labor Day and Thanksgiving....and that the LCD tech is getting cheaper....so I'm on the fence--I know there's always something better coming down the road, and we are limited to financial outlay, so a 6000$ plasma is not an option, but if I can save a couple hundred bucks, or get a better unit for the same price, I will gladly do so. Plus that gives me a little more time to convince the missus we need the 65" instead of the 55" ; )
Our current dvd player we paid 200 for; single disk, non-progressive, and it's only what, little over 2 years old....it's almost nauseating when you think about it. My MP3CD player was 180, on sale, and now you can get them for about thirty bucks.

What benefit will using your tv's DVI input have? Is it just another option of video input, or is it a better picture than component?
Old 08-18-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The JVC FA-900 would fulfill your requirements although I'm not sure about the 3:2 pulldown.
Old 08-19-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
According to Crutchfield it has it:

"de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing"

Anyone have it and can speak to its quality?
Old 08-20-03, 07:10 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dtcarson,
I've also been looking at the SONY 665 and 685 and the Panny F85S. I really would like the JPEG playability ... is the F85S the Panny that you're referring to? Also, do you know if that model can have two video outputs going at the same time? For example, on my current SONY I can have the S-Video and the Component outs outputting at the same time...this is important in my setup. Thanks!
Old 08-21-03, 12:35 AM
Cool New Member

"What benefit will using your tv's DVI input have? Is it just another option of video input, or is it a better picture than component?"

as far as i know, there are only a handful of dvd players with dvi output, one being the V inc. Bravo D1 which has been discussed on these boards. supposedly ordinary dvd players including progressive players can only display 480p, whilst a player with a dvi output can reach the higher resolutions of 720p and 1080i. another way to get this setup is to use a htpc which have dvi outputs but take up more room.
Old 08-21-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dragonstitch
"What benefit will using your tv's DVI input have? Is it just another option of video input, or is it a better picture than component?"

as far as i know, there are only a handful of dvd players with dvi output, one being the V inc. Bravo D1 which has been discussed on these boards. supposedly ordinary dvd players including progressive players can only display 480p, whilst a player with a dvi output can reach the higher resolutions of 720p and 1080i. another way to get this setup is to use a htpc which have dvi outputs but take up more room.
The Bravo and (I think) a Samsung model are the only ones with DVI. The Bravo has fairly crappy build quality and a reletively high price, it's also single disc only.

DVDs are have 480 lives of resolution, period. Any player outputing 720P or 1080i is simply upconverting (sort of like a spoiler on a Honda Civic: flashy but no improvement in performance). CNet had this to say about the Bravo:
Next, we tried switching the DVI output between 720p and 480p to see whether upconverting to HDTV resolution within the player would improve the image. All told, we couldn't detect much difference between the two. In other words, the strength of this player's picture seems to derive from the digital output's direct connection to the digital display, not from the upconversion to HDTV resolution.
We'll have to wait for one of the new HD-DVD formats to have true HD resolution.
Old 08-21-03, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

darn, looks like progressive is back on the table.
Old 08-21-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NGP: I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't actually gotten any of these units yet, those are just the ones I'm considering.