Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

S Video vs the RCA plug

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

S Video vs the RCA plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S Video vs the RCA plug

HOw much difference is there when you use the s video cable vs the yellow RCA cable?

Is there a noticable difference is picture, color, etc?

Just wondering what the differences are. Just connected my DVD player to the TV with S video instead of the yellow RCA plug.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-03, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
S-video should be a pretty noticeable improvement.
Old 08-15-03, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Component Video.

Well, in your case it'd have to be S-Video w/ the better signal separation. Sound & Video had an article about this. But if you google for 5 minute, you'll find something similar.
Old 08-15-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Component Video.
Actually, the yellow RCA connection is called composite, not component. Component is three RCA-type plugs and is the best of the three options available on DVD players, but not every TV has component inputs.

S-video is a definite improvement over composite. As Fuzzy said, run a search on Google, or even run a search of this forum or read the FAQ at the top of the forum area. It's a topic that has been discussed many, many times before.
Old 08-16-03, 12:22 AM
Suspended

[sarcasm]OMG, I didn't know that Mr. Salty! Thank you for expanding my knowledge on the subject.[/sarcasm]

I was suggesting the guy to pass both composite and S-Video and go straight for component video, but then seeing how half of the people here are filthy rich (or maxed out credit cards), while the other half live in trailors. I didn't elaborate on the subject 'cause it'll required a new TV w/ component video inputs, which doesn't come cheap.
Old 08-16-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was suggesting the guy to pass both composite and S-Video and go straight for component video,
No you didn't, you just threw out the term "component video" with no explanation of any kind, and it hadn't been mentioned at all in the thread previously.

Since TheOne was asking whether S-video or composite was better, with no indication that component was an option or if he even knew what it was, it seemed likely your mention of component would do nothing more than cloud the issue.
Old 08-16-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[sarcasm]OMG, I didn't know that Mr. Salty! Thank you for expanding my knowledge on the subject.[/sarcasm]

I was suggesting the guy to pass both composite and S-Video and go straight for component video, but then seeing how half of the people here are filthy rich (or maxed out credit cards), while the other half live in trailors. I didn't elaborate on the subject 'cause it'll required a new TV w/ component video inputs, which doesn't come cheap.
I hardly see how the value of a person's home has anything to do with giving them a clear and detailed explanation. You obviously aren't fluent in english, however you claim to know the technological differences between the various video connections. Maybe you should be less judgmental of others.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 08-16-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-16-03, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the discussion everyone.

I always get composite and component mixed up. (Now I'll remember the difference.)

Since I only can hook up with composite or S-Video, that was why I asked. Of course I know the quality of your TV and DVD player will make a difference as well. But all things being equal, I think I noticed improvement with sharper picture. Not too sure since DVD picture quality is pretty good on my TV already with composite.

(Too lazy now to flip back and forth with the 2 different video connections. Will do more testing.)