Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My HDTV just went BLACK! :(

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a Samsung 47" WS HDTV I've had for about eight months.

Last night we're watching a DVD and suddenly the picture goes a little weird color-wise then it all went to black. I checked the connections, tried a different video cable, still nothing at all. Everything else works fine that I have hooked up (DVD player, receiver, etc.), but there is just BLACK on my TV.

What happened???

FORTUNATELY I got the BB PSP so the guy's coming out Friday to HOPEFULLY fix it, but still, this is not good...
Old 08-13-03, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You blew a fuse man. Hopefully the repair guys won't charge you $50 + labor for a $2 radioshack item.
Old 08-13-03, 04:23 PM

Blew a fuse?!? How? That sucks. Hopefully it will be covered by the $299 extended warranty (PSP) I purchased, and I hope that's all it is...

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
You blew a fuse man. Hopefully the repair guys won't charge you $50 + labor for a $2 radioshack item.
Old 08-13-03, 07:27 PM

I think it would be more than a blown fuse.......

Do any of the inputs work?
Old 08-13-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On Mitsubishi RPTVs there is a power light on the front. If there's a problem such as this the light will blink a certain way telling you an error code to help diagnose the problem. Is the Sammy giving you any type of feedback like this or have you lost total power to the set?
Old 08-14-03, 10:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
I think it would be more than a blown fuse.......

Do any of the inputs work?
I agree. Why would a blown fuse make the picture go weird before it went black? If it could do that, then I want circuit breakers that will turn the lights on and off 100 times rapidly before it trips.
Old 08-14-03, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

When I push the power button I can hear it "click on," so there's something there, I think, but that is ALL. Other than that it's all black and nothing works. Since it's black I can't get to any menu of any kind, and though a red "power" light does come on I don't that it's blinking any special message to me. I'd better check my manual on that.

In the meantime, at this very moment I am on hold with BB, as I have been for 15 minutes, because I received a call saying the technician in my area who had been scheduled to come repair my TV on Friday, 8/15, was "injured" and cannot make it. Now I'm told it won't be until mid next week that someone might be able to come out to look at it. Oh well, when you pay $300 for an extended warranty I guess you can't expect too much. Still, I sure am glad I got it...

We'll see what happens, but apparently nothing is going to happenly too quickly... THIS SUCKS!
Old 08-14-03, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'd buy a $300 ESP on a Samsung too. No, I wouldn't. I'd spend the extra $300 on getting a better brand.

Sorry, I'm just bashing Samsung. I recognize that there are similar stories with all brands of electronics. So far, I have yet to have any problems with any of my Sony products. Shoot, even my 18 year old 19" tube TV is still working great. Got that when I was 10. That TV has come with me through over 15 moves, totalling more than 6000 miles.
Old 08-14-03, 07:56 PM

Why not get service repair from Samsung,since it has been less than one year.I would trust their service tech more than BB.You live near a major city and cannot service faster than 7 days,how long will parts take for them to order and come back out. I would try Samsung first.Good luck
Old 08-14-03, 09:33 PM

You can have any authorized repair person for Samsung repair it, it is under mfg warrenty. I would think maybe the power supply went on it, or it could be the guns since the red light still comes on.
Old 08-15-03, 10:32 AM

I guess I didn't think of just calling up Samsung, but I probably should have. Is there some Samsung # I just, tell 'em what I've got, show 'em my receipt, and they come fix it? I suppose the guy coming next week will have to "take it into the shop," and who knows how long it'll be until I see it after that. So far it's not going well w/BB...

As far as Samsung, I've had Samsung TVs and VCRs and a DVD player for over a decade and never had a problem, just like you, WH, w/Sony, which is part of the reason I stuck w/them. The TV's been great until this disaster, and I'm not really sure what happened here. I do know that if I have to listen to that STUPID BB hold chat much longer, I may snap.

It totally sucks, and this whole delay and runaround w/the repair only makes a bad situation worse.

P.S. What do you mean it could be "the guns"?
Old 08-15-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They aren't going to take a 47" TV into the shop. They will fix it in your home.
Old 08-16-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by namlook
They aren't going to take a 47" TV into the shop. They will fix it in your home.
Yeah, big Samsung HDTVs will get "on site" service under warranty . Just call Samsung's 800 number.
Old 08-19-03, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by nekobus
Yeah, big Samsung HDTVs will get "on site" service under warranty . Just call Samsung's 800 number.
Sorry, I wish you were both right, but they took my baby away yesterday. Came in, saw it was black, took it away and said "maybe a week."

Have I mentioned that THIS SUCKS!!!
Old 08-19-03, 12:24 PM

you guys arent familiar with manufacturer's warranties much...

samsung in particular is 1 year parts, 90 days labor.

he is screwed if he didnt get the extended service. if it was a fuse, he could have easily payed $100+ to replace a $1 fuse. but thats how business works.
Old 08-19-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cowanrg
you guys arent familiar with manufacturer's warranties much...

samsung in particular is 1 year parts, 90 days labor.
You must not be familar with Samsung's HDTV warranties. They have a one year parts AND labor warranty. Warranties will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and also between product lines of a company.

he is screwed if he didnt get the extended service. if it was a fuse, he could have easily payed $100+ to replace a $1 fuse. but thats how business works.

Nope, in this case the regular warranty would be sufficient.

Last edited by nekobus; 08-20-03 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 04:19 PM

I am not familiar with Samsung's warranty policy, no. I got the BB extended warranty so I just called them. They said I was still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, which it seems just means that the repair place which BB called on my behalf (and who in turn called me) simply collects from Samsung instead of BB. I don't know why they took it away instead of fixing it right there. Naturally this was NOT my hope, but they just said it needed to be brought in and would be done in about a week. Frankly at this point I don't care as long as that is, in fact, what happens--my TV gets fixed quickly and returned to me in tip-top condition. I'll probably call them in a day or two to see how she's doing...
Old 08-19-03, 05:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would call a third-party repair place, that has to know a little about a lot of brands, instead of the manufacturer who would get it repaired through their repair company of choice. One that I would expect to have more expertise with that particular brand.
Old 08-19-03, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by uteotw
I am not familiar with Samsung's warranty policy, no. I got the BB extended warranty so I just called them. They said I was still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, which it seems just means that the repair place which BB called on my behalf (and who in turn called me) simply collects from Samsung instead of BB. I don't know why they took it away instead of fixing it right there. Naturally this was NOT my hope, but they just said it needed to be brought in and would be done in about a week. Frankly at this point I don't care as long as that is, in fact, what happens--my TV gets fixed quickly and returned to me in tip-top condition. I'll probably call them in a day or two to see how she's doing...
Let us know if the repair shop tells you there is to much damage to warrent a repair. You will get a new tv.
Old 08-20-03, 02:05 PM

I did not call a third party repair place. The company I purchased my warranty through, Best Buy, called the third party repair place. BB was aware it was under the manufacturer's warranty, and this third party repair place was an authorized Samsung repair center. I hope their decent enough, but I guess I'll find out. A solid repair with a complete explanation is fine; a replacement TV is just fine too. Either way I just hope it doesn't take too long, and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by uteotw; 08-20-03 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-20-03, 08:12 PM

I just went through this with Best Buy. My 27in Panasonic flat screen that i bought two years ago went out. Repair shop came and got it. 5 weeks later, tv is to messed up to repair. Now I have new 27in Sony Flat screen Wega. Best Buy will give an even trade for what you paid for yours. If you pay more for the replacement,fine. But they will not credit you if you try to get something cheaper or if your current model is cheaper then when you bought it. All in all, PSP turned out to be a good choice.
Old 08-23-03, 12:05 AM

Any updates on the repair?
Old 08-24-03, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
Any updates on the repair?
Thanks for asking. I called on Friday and they said they'd ordered some "boards" on Thursday. I asked what kind of "boards" but the woman did not know (of course). They said it'd be done w/in a week, so we shall see. I rescheduled my DirecTV installation to Friday, and I hope I don't have to change that date again, but again, we'll see. As long as it works like new, I'm OK. Got my Avia disc ready to re-do it. In the meantime, I've just been watching some of my 1.33:1 DVDs (NYPD Blue, Simpsons, etc.) on my old 25"-er to tide me over. I'll let you know when she's home where she belongs...
Old 08-24-03, 05:23 PM

A similar thing happend with my sony 53" a few years back. Sony directed me to contat a particular repair shop in the area and they replaced a few circuit boards and had it back in about a week.
Cost on the invoice was ~1500 for things like Main A board or something like that, but again was covered under warranty.

Unrelated, while I know everyone has good intentions and is trying to be helpful, I don't see how you can make a diagnois of as "It could be the guns", "it could be a fuse", etc etc. from just a short description of the problem and not even seeing the TV and how it is acting. Especially when the TV is very new, under warranty and authorized repair guys are already handling it. That's just my 2 cents, sorry in advance if I ruffled anyone's feathers.
Old 08-29-03, 01:22 PM

Well, she's back! Yesterday morning they delivered her back where she belongs. Works great, just like it used to. I wasn't there when it was delivered (wife was) but on the work order they left it says something like "replace power supply and module." So I guess it was a big deal, but they turned it around relatively quickly, and all's well that ends well.

It looks like all my settings are still there two, but I'll run the Avia disc again just to be sure, and to fine-tune for the new location, lighting, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the input. And everyone loves a happy ending... (esp. me in this case).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.