Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

noob for living room HTS

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

noob for living room HTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noob for living room HTS

hey all... normally surfing in "other" forum, but i have a Q to ask the pro's here...

i have a subtle nice HTS in my room. but i have no idea whats a GOOD HTS for the living room. at the moment money is not the problem. pops is paying for it, but wants me to scout out the stuff. the living room is wide and open in a rectangular shape.

now i know everyone has a different ear, different pref/choice, but is there anything you guys can point me towards? def not OTB HTS, those will not be sufficient enough for the living room.

thnx in advance.

ps- i'll try to get a snap shot of the living room from birds eye and 1st person views tomorrow.
Old 08-11-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ideal thing to do would be to audition different equipment in your home. Barring that you need to get out and listen to various equipment.

I got my equipment from Ken Cranes in Buena Park.

They were very helpful, and I got to listen to a variety of equipment.

I got a Yamaha receiver, B&W fronts, center and rears, and a Velodyne subwoofer. I love my setup, but you need to decide what you like by listening.

Other brands you might want to check out:

Denon
Onkyo
Pioneer
Definitive Technology
SVS

I can't think of others right now because it's getting late and I'm tired, but listen to a lot of stuff. Bring source material that you know well. When I listened to my CDs and DVDs I heard things on them that I had never heard before. It's like rediscovering your collection.

By the way you don't mention everything you need for your home theater. I just assumed you're looking for a receiver and speakers. If you need a monitor, DVD player or other equipment please let us know.

Also, you should state a budget because you can run into setups that cost tens of thousands of dollars. We know you don't want a HTIB so I would say you're looking for a setup that costs at the very least $500. My system cost about $4000 and although it is not very high end it sounds awesome to me.

Just some random thoughts. Good luck.
Old 08-11-03, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I been very happy w/ the Klipsch Reference 3 package. Although they are phasing them out, you can pick up the Reference 35 package for about the same price. I've paired them w/ the Denon avr3803 receiver. The 2 are a very good match - the klipsch are very efficient and the Denon put out very clean power. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since money is no object I would hit one of the specialty stores. Even the same brand name has higher end goods available not available at Best Buy or like stores. They can also help you audition and design some good stuff for you, not just point you to whats in the flyer this week.

BTW: I have all Definitive Technologies and a Yamaha receiver. Pics are in sig