Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD recorders

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD recorders

I'm wanting to buy a DVD recorder for my home theater setup. Does anyone have some experience with the new makes and models that are out? Are they better than the first? Can a HBO movie be recorded and come out better on the DVD because of the recorder enhancing the picture?
Old 08-07-03, 07:43 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

First, some questions are best answered by using this-. It's in the upper right of this page. Often a question has been asked and answered. If it hasn't then by all means, ask away. Especially if you have specific models in mind. Another useful place is http://www.dvdrhelp.com.
Second and most important, DVD recorders DO NOT improve picture quality! Various factors may contribute to the perceptionof an improved picture, but recorders aren't magical devises. This is not to say that you won't notice a difference in what you record on DVD vs. VHS, because you most definately will. For example, a 90 minute movie on HBO recorded to dvd-r will look virtually identical to the original broadcast, VHS doesn't.
Last- Welcome to the group!
Old 08-08-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread should help:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=285916
Old 08-08-03, 01:50 PM

I did use the search and didn't get any info on the new generation of DVD recorders, I assume that the new ones are better.
Second, I wasn't sure if the video was enhanced when recorded similar to enhancing a picture in my digital camera. My camera will enhance a scene in landscape mode by slightly boosting the blues (for sky) and greens (for plants and such).
I know I read some info saying that someone was recording from VHS to DVD and they thought the video was better on the DVD than what was originally on the VHS. However, they may have been seeing with their heart not their eyes.

Thanks for the info