Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help With Choosing My Next TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a new TV or Projector in the next couple of months and would really appreciate any opinions from the forum. First here is a little background. We currently have a 35" TV in our family room. Our viewing habits are 85% movies on DVD and 15% cable TV. I have a budget of $2500 to $3000 dollars. Here are my possibilities 1. Replace the existing TV with a 55" to 60" HDTV RPTV or 2. I have an extra bedroom that is 11' x 16' that I would like to make a home theater (This option is less likely and would require extreme convincing of the wife). Here are my questions. 1). Which has a better picture quality RPTV or a projector? 2). Since most of our viewing is on DVD, would we really notice a big difference in picture quality (this would be the biggest selling point to the wife) or would it only be the bigger size picture? 3. Our living room has only one corner that a TV will fit in and unfortunely there is only on seat that would be directly in front of the TV. When I look at RPTV in the store the picture quality is really effected by viewing angle, is there a way to improve this? Or a brand that is better than others? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

projectors can have the nicest pictures but are extremely susceptible to lighting. You really need to have a dark room for a decent picture. Another thing to keep in mind is that the bulb for the projector is another big expense, I hear some people have to replace their every 18 months or so.

Different PRTVs will have better viewing angles but there is a limit. Direct on will certainly give the best picture.

Read lots of reviews and get other peoples impressions. I recommend http://www.hometheaterspot.com for saturating yourself with others experiences.
Old 07-04-03, 02:36 PM

Speaking of replacing bulbs, do you also have to replace bulbs in RPTV and how long of life do they have?
Old 07-04-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RPTVs don't have bulbs. They use three CRTS for red, green and blue which converge into the color picture reflected off a mirror in the rear of the set to the back of the screen that you watch.
Old 07-06-03, 04:40 PM
Bru

front projector