Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm in the service menu, now what? (overscan adustment)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-23-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Well, I found the service menu code for my Samsung WS set by Googling the newsgroups the other day, but I've been too intimidated by all the settings to do anything. The main problem is the overscan, it must be set at like 20% or something cause it chops the hell out of movies.

The only thing I know to do is write down all the current values in case I need to start over, but what should I look for to fix the overscan?

Thanks
Old 06-24-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have no idea how the Samsung service menus work (I'm a Panny guy) but you need the overscan pattern from Avia for starters. Do you have that? If not, stop right there and buy Avia.

If so...

You'll need to pull the overscan pattern up from the Avia disc, on the Pannys this is done with a remote control function - that is, you should already have the overscan pattern on pause and then the image is superimposed once you're in the service menu. You would then adjust your horizontal and vertical settings until you have ~ 5% or less on all sides.

Again, I have have no idea how the Samsung works but it should be somewhat similar... You should try posting this at avsforum or hometheaterspot in the Samsung area... Now, here comes the unwanted advice > Don't go messing around in the service menu until you understand, completely, what you are doing.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Would the circles and squares screen in a THX optimode test work?
Old 06-24-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does it have markings with numbers on the sides? If it does it'll be simple - you just change the overscan until you can see the 5. If it doesn't have numbers then it'll be a little tougher, but if it has something that you know is the same on both sides (and the top and bottom) then you should be able to set it without too many problems.
Old 06-25-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by milo bloom
Would the circles and squares screen in a THX optimode test work?
You may be able to use it as a reference, but it is not going to be anywhere accurate. The Avia disc has a pattern specifically for overscan on it. It marks percentages to show how much of a percent of overscan you actually have. Ideally this should be 5%.

I wouldn't try to adjust overscan on any set unti I checked to see just how much overscan there actually was first.
Old 06-26-03, 07:41 PM
Banned

milo .. check out hometheaterspot.com if you haven't already. This forum has many quality inside information on such topics as yours. I can't comment on your TV model, but someone there should definately be able to. Best of luck ...
Old 06-29-03, 10:23 PM

milo ... Just bought a Samsung HDTV myself and searched for a few hours to find info about the service menu. Here are a few links of some of the better information regarding it ... going to try them out myself next week when I get back home. Hope they help. Good luck.

http://www.streamsofdata.com/hdtv/

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...rue#Post396278

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...06#post2154206