Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How many of you have HDTV's?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.
View Poll Results: What's your prefference?
I'd rather spend my cash on my Home Theatre
13.53%
I'd rather buy DVD's! GIMME GIMME GIMME!
18.24%
I'm rich! I laugh at your peasant dilemma!
38.24%
I like pie!
30.00%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. I was going through some old threads that had pictures of DVD Talkers home theaters and I was kind of surprised by some of the HUGE collections and small direct view TV's.

I realized how much money I was starting to spend on DVD's a while back and decided I'd rather put that money towards improving my home theater. Since then I've grown to love netflix. It's almost like owning 13,000 dvd's and just paying someone a small monthly fee to store them off site.

I have a pretty small collection of dvd's that I actually own. Only about 100. Most of those were bought in a pretty short amount of time which is when I realized I could afford a nice new HDTV if I stopped buying and subscribed to netflix instead. I have a pretty nice HT setup now. 57 inch HDTV and nice sound system (although I intend to do some big upgrades in that area still). I still buy dvd's but not very many. Just the big releases that I HAVE to have.

Lately I've been going through the new DVI equipped pseudo HD dvd players that upconvert standard dvd's to 720p and 1080i. I wasn't too impressed so I'm back to spending money on my HTPC (HTPC's hooked up to HDTV's can look pretty amazing but they're a pain in the ***).

By the time I'm done, true HD-DVD should be emerging. The finished sound system I plan on putting together will cost several thousand dollars so I have some time. I figure I'll start mass collecting when DVD's are the same resolution as most TV's will be (ie; HD). In the meantime, I might not own them but the movies I watch look and sound incredible.

So what do you all feel is most important, owning as many as possible or the way in which they're presented when you watch them?

You rich people that can have your cake and eat it too can remain silent.

Last edited by Dammit; 06-19-03 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 05:32 PM

I have around 400 DVD's and a Sony Wega 32". I do plan on getting an HDTV widescreen at the end of the year though. Post pics of yours if you have one.

Doc
Old 06-19-03, 05:35 PM

I don't have any pics of my new set right now. I'm kind of in the middle of deciding how to arrange that room. It's pretty bare and generic at the moment.

I bought a 51 inch Hitachi last October but ran into some problems and recently exchanged it for Hitachi's top of the line 57xwx20b with the integrated HD tuner. HD is good. Edit: only two more payments to go!

Last edited by Dammit; 06-19-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 05:37 PM

By the way, when you do upgrade to a nice high def display, you're going to completely re-discover your whole collection. It's almost a completely different experience. You'll love it.
Old 06-19-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I have about 155 DVDs, a good surround sound system and a 47" WS HDTV and I am NOT rich. I paid off the TV w/no interest and it was worth every red cent.
Old 06-19-03, 06:33 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How many of you have HDTV's?

Originally posted by Dammit

You rich people that can have your cake and eat it too can remain silent.
I enjoy my cake but I'm not rich by any means so I won't remain silent.

I don't go to bars/clubs. I don't smoke. My mortgage is paid. I own my cars. All my disposable income is spent on my wife, 4 yr. old daughter, vintage movie posters, dvds, video games and HT Gear and computer upgrades.

I love collecting my favorite movies too much to wait for the next format (HD-DVD). When the time comes, I'll give away or sell off my favorite movies/dvds as they get released in the HD format. Ill' do the same when the Holographic DVD format is released in the year 2024.

Much of my stuff has been paid for by selling off my BB and comic book collection and my side business.

You can see some old pics of my dedicated HT setup here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...postid=3028500

It's not high end stuff but it's not exactly entry level either. I'm very happy with it for now.

MY HT Gear (2002-2003 upgrades*):

A/V Receiver - Sony STR-DA5ES
Fronts - B&W DM603 S3*
Center - B&W LCR 600*
Rears - B&W DM601 S3*
Subwoofer - SVS 20-39PC-Plus*
Subwoofer - JBL PB12
DVD Player - Sony DVP-S9000ES
DVD Player - Toshiba SD4700
DVD Player - (Portable) Audiovox 1680
HDTV Sony KP-57WV700
HD200 DIRECTV Satellite Receiver*
Sony XBR 32
Sony CD 701ES
Line Cond. /Surge - Monster Power HTS5100*
Remote - Home Theater Master MX-500
XBOX
PS2

Connects:
- Rears: 12ga. Home Depot*
- Fronts / Center: KnuKonceptz Karma Kable Twisted Pair Translucent Blue/Silver 12 Gauge Bi-Wire*
- Assorted Interconnects from Better Cables and Monster Cable
Old 06-19-03, 06:42 PM

I didn't mean to insult anyone who spends their cash on dvd's at all. Hope it didn't come off that way. I badly wanted a nice HDTV and didn't think I could pull it off in the one year they give you of no interest financing in most places until I realized I could do it pretty easily if I cut back on a buying dvd's and rented them through netflix instead (and cut out a few other things too). Looks like I'll pay it off with two months to spare.

It's just a slow day at work. Idle curiousity if anyone had the same epiphany I did.
Old 06-19-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not rich either

My Home Theater:
Mitsubishi 55908 (ISF calibrated)
Mits SR HD5
Onkyo TX DS989
Panasonic DVD-RP91
Mains Swan Diva 6.1s/ Center Swan Diva C3/ Surrounds Swan Diva R3s/ Rears Swan Diva 2.1s
Sub SVS20-39CS with Samson S700
BetterCables Silver Serpent Cables
Monster HTS 5000
Old 06-19-03, 07:00 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dammit,

To be honest, I wish I liked to rent but I don't. I enjoy lending out my dvds. I get a kick out of my neighbors and friends calling me the neighboorhood blockbuster. I feel I get my moneys worth if more people enjoy them.

I've easily spent $6k on dvds that I could have otherwise purchased a really nice amp and projector or 60" plasma setup, but I enjoy being able to peruse my collection and watch anything I want at any given time. It's a high price to pay for convienence but I really do enjoy owning my collection.

No dvds to mail back, no waiting for dvds to become available, no setting up monthly cues, no worries about receiving scratched dvds/unplayable dvds, etc..

BTW, I do mow my own lawn...
Old 06-19-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes I wish I had space for a projector. Hell, I wish I had more space to store dvds!
Old 06-19-03, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe I'm nuts...but having a film library and owning it..is the whole point of collecting, is it not? guess not for some. well...whatever floats yer boat. I myself despise renting anything. blind buying is not an option when I do research. maybe a collectors methods are different from someone elses. thats just me.

I would much rather have the collection built up as deep as I can, before getting my perfect set-up. reason #1....the system I'm putting together is running about $8,000. I'm saving a little here and a little there...and although this set-up may change size or brand over the next 6 months...at least I'll have around $10,000 cold hard cash for when it's time. right now it's not time, period.

reason #2...I gotta tell ya kids....I'm not looking for the perfect picture right now. I enjoy having a library of all my personal favs, for both reference and enjoyment, anytime I see fit. my future set-up may enhance the feeling...no doubt. I've seen it first hand many, many times. but at the same time...I'm very happy with the quality I get from my 36" Toshiba Cinema Series...a simple monitor. I have a complete Denon sound system...DTS and the works. good enough for this house...while our new home is being built. and as far as HD-DVD, I'm not holding my breath that all 1,000(soon to be 1,600) dvds in my collection will be re-released in the new format. my favs being B and Z type horror films, that wont really benefit. I could think of about 200 however, that would benefit and I will buy. dvds are supposed to last...and for the most part....I'll be happy with what I have. so for me...FILMS/DVDS first...system second. simple.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 06-19-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I am certainly not rich. But I have a 48" inch HD-TV. And it is one of the best things I've ever spent my money on. As a movie fanatic, looking back it is almost a waste to have DVDs & not have the proper set-up to watch them on. When I first bought the TV & the speakers & the receiver etc. I was in a slight regret period, as amazing as it was, it really did set me back. But now that I made it through a drought of being broke, I am truly grateful that I was able to buy everything. If you buy lots & lots of DVDs, (which If you own 50 or more, that is a hell of a lot) & your spending let's say $18 on average on a DVD. Without the right TV, home theater etc, you are only enjoying/experiencing half of the greatness that is the DVD. someone here posted that their favorite movies were "b & Z type horror movies" which are my favorite also & they said that a HD-TV certainly would not benefit these movies & they couldn't be more wrong. Once you have the set up you'll see the difference & understand.

So now looking back, just IMO, the set up is slightly, just slightly more important than the DVDs. If I had the crappy TV that I use to have, or that most of my friends do, I wouldn't buy that many DVDs. Yeah, I LOVE movies, but for someone that loves movies as much as I do, I need to watch them in the best quality I can provide for myself. And whoever said an HD-TV let them rediscover movies & their DVDs, is exactly right.
Old 06-19-03, 08:07 PM
Rest in Peace

I couldn't post

I own a RCA F38310 HDTV for 2+ years, and I 1,283 DVD Region 1 and 206 Region 2 & 4. I own a number of type DVD players to
house/play or to put a single disc in to view.

How do I answer your poll without bragging?
Old 06-19-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also have a 48 inch HDTV(JVC)with decent speaker system (haven't baught a subwoofer yet), progressive scan player and dvd's are definitely more enjoyable

.And watching hdtv programming like CSI, CSI Miami,Law&Order, Alias etc on an hdtv set is gold jerry gold

I'd rather have fewer dvd's (about 200) and spend the $$$ on a good home theatre system to get the most out of my investment

Once you go widescreen you never go back

Last edited by shanester; 06-19-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
55" Mitsubishi Diamond Model. Money well spent.
Old 06-19-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Movie room = Fully tweaked 47" Panny 16X9, two Panny prog scan players (one a 5 disc changer), full 5.1 JBL surround.

Computer room / den = 36" Panny 4X3 tube, Sony interlaced player, PS2, full 5.1 (cheaper) Sony surround.

DVD count = under 200 including DVD-A discs and Avia.

Nothing world class, but the point is this... Hardware supports software. It's that simple. Get the gear, then get the DVDs... Or, better yet, do a little of both and keep building. Your DVD enjoyment will increase ten fold on a HDTV with a prog scan player...

Like you, I'm constantly surprised at the number of folks with large DVD collections and a 32" inch (or under) 4X3. Makes no sense to me (especially in this day and age of no interest financing for two years) but hey... Whatever floats the boat as they say...
Old 06-19-03, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
someone here posted that their favorite movies were "b & Z type horror movies" which are my favorite also & they said that a HD-TV certainly would not benefit these movies & they couldn't be more wrong. Once you have the set up you'll see the difference & understand.
I've had the set-up...and will have it again. I dont enjoy the film any less when I'm watching it the way I have to now. I've seen Beast of Blood both ways....and loved both just fine. I'll be very happy to have a complete library to choose from when I do have what I want. and without my passion for films, there wouldnt be much need for a theater. yeah, I'll take the films first, regardless of what format they are on....while waiting for the right system to go along with my new home. until then, I'm watching my favs just fine.
Old 06-19-03, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago

Like you, I'm constantly surprised at the number of folks with large DVD collections and a 32" inch (or under) 4X3. Makes no sense to me (especially in this day and age of no interest financing for two years)
sue the few of us who actually choose to pay cash. owning something like this...but not owning it for as long as it takes to pay it off...for me is just not going to happen. our new house will be the only thing I'm gonna sell my soul for. I have credit...but I hate credit. just another thing you can label me an idiot for...if it pleases you.
Old 06-19-03, 09:05 PM

Got an HDTV, not even close to rich.

I got a Panasonic 47" widescreen at Sam's Club after they cancelled last years model. I grabbed the last one in the box when it went down to just over $1000.

Just bought a house so I had to go cheap on the surround sound. Picked up a Kenwood HTB-505 at Best Buy for $339.

It's all more than enough to keep me happy.
Old 06-19-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
sue the few of us who actually choose to pay cash. owning something like this...but not owning it for as long as it takes to pay it off...for me is just not going to happen. our new house will be the only thing I'm gonna sell my soul for. I have credit...but I hate credit. just another thing you can label me an idiot for...if it pleases you.
Hey man, to each their own... Any man with a nice horror collection and a love for Zappa, Yes and Crimson is OK in my book.
Old 06-19-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had $20,000 in laserdiscs, all played on pretty good equipment, except a cheap 25" TV.

Finally bought a 42" plasma this year. Not full HDTV, but very close.
Old 06-19-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Hey man, to each their own... Any man with a nice horror collection and a love for Zappa, Yes and Crimson is OK in my book.
ditto brother!! a thinking mans music fan is cool in my book too!!

sorry to go off-subject...have you heard any news on King's concerts on dvd popping up?

peace,
Gut
Old 06-19-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Toshiba 50h81 in a somewhat average size room and a 28 inch, 10 year old, 4x3, Panasonic in my bedroom. I wish I had bought a Pioneer Elite model instead of the Toshiba b/c I did not know about the damn 540p upconversion the series does. Now which TV do I enjoy more? I can say I like both of them equally. The Panasonic seems to work perfectly with dvds. The 50 incher shows just about every error in the transfer. I'm sure I'll like the Toshiba better if hd-dvd ever comes around though. My advice is to shop around and make sure you know what TV your buying and compare it for a few months. Keep in mind prices too. My TV cost 2500 when I bought it. Exactly one year later I saw it at Sam's Club for 1000. 1500 dollars buys a lot of dvds! And, as GW said, the dvds should ,in theory or hope, last longer than the TV will.
Old 06-19-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had the set-up...and will have it again. I dont enjoy the film any less when I'm watching it the way I have to now. I've seen Beast of Blood both ways....and loved both just fine. I'll be very happy to have a complete library to choose from when I do have what I want. and without my passion for films, there wouldnt be much need for a theater. yeah, I'll take the films first, regardless of what format they are on....while waiting for the right system to go along with my new home. until then, I'm watching my favs just fine.
That's cool, but I definitely think you are in the minority. To all the people of this mindest let me throw this out to gutwrencher & anyone else. Why buy DVDs then? Cleary it is only for the extras for you guys. I mean, I'm sure gutwrencher & everyone else here owns some barebones DVDs, or replaced a VHS with a barebones DVD b/c that was all that is available, so why do you own any barebones DVDs if quality doesn't matter? I had an ENORMOUS horror & kung fu VHS collection before DVDs came around, but I've been replacinig them all with DVD, b/c the quality is SUPERIOR, in the same way the quality a HD-TV is superior to a regular TV. It's just night & day. Now I agree gutwrencher, if I'm watching Toxic Avenger 4 on my buddies crappy TV from 1988, or my 48 inch Sony HD-TV, I like the movie as much either way, but I ENJOY the movie WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more on my TV. My point is , I'm sure your liked Beast of Blood on either TV you watched it on, but I just don't buy that there is no difference to you, if that is the case, why even contemplate "waiting for the right system to come along"? I realize, we are all going to like a film just as much no matter what we watch it on, but there is no WAY, you can tell me the overall experience of watching a movie isn't better on a giant HD-TV.
Old 06-19-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ditto brother!! a thinking mans music fan is cool in my book too!!

sorry to go off-subject...have you heard any news on King's concerts on dvd popping up?

peace,
Gut

Nope. I'm assuming that you own the Deja Vrooom DVD? That's all there is and no news, at all... If ever there was a band that was made for DVD or DVD-A, it is the Crim... Sigh...

And buy that flippin' Zappa DVD-A already!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.