Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does this thing actually work?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=784&scat=1716

"Transmit A/V signals from cable box, satellite receiver, VCR, DVD player or video-game console anywhere in your home, without wires. 2.4GHz technology penetrates walls, ceilings and floors."
Old 05-10-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I don't know about those particular ones, but my dad picked up something similar from Radio Shack a few years back and they worked okay.
Old 05-10-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While not the same brand, I've got a different model. The idea was to feed the 2nd room audio from my main system to the second system upstairs, complete with an IR repeater. I got a RF-Link Wavecom Sr. It's currently $69.95 at etronics.com.

While it works, it's kind of iffy and prone to interference. Then again, I haven't taken the time to really fiddle around with it and get the placement "perfect."

Also, my house is sort of anti-wireless. My 802.11b LAN gets pretty choppy trying to go from the top floor to the bottom.
Old 05-10-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks. How bad is the interference? Worse than the signal rabbit ears would get you in a major metropolitan area?
Old 05-10-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trelach24
Thanks. How bad is the interference? Worse than the signal rabbit ears would get you in a major metropolitan area?
I can't speak for the video interference, because I haven't tried to throw video across it. Audio-wise, it'll crackle, pop, and burst into static either in response to someone moving around the room or just arbitrarily. But like I said, I haven't tooled around with xmitter/recvr placement that much. Could be that's all it'd take to clear things up.
Old 05-14-03, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

I have a Wavecom Sr. and it works very well. I no longer use it because I have a 2.4 Ghz. The interference from the telephone is so bad that the picture unwatchable.
Old 05-16-03, 09:32 AM

It's not ready for prime time. I don't know about you, but I tried it out in my condo, and my neighbors cordless phone would bust up reception something fierce. Rolling picture, buzzing sound, the works. It would also intermittently buzz and roll for no apparent reason. If you have more control over your environment, you may have more luck.

Had to ship it back to the vendor and exchange it for the leapfrog, which works over telephone wires. That picture is solid and a definite improvement over the Wavecom Sr. The only problem was the IR repeater wouldn't work with my ReplayTV. So I just used it for Tivo.
Old 05-16-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure which one my friend has but it was a wireless a/v transmitter that he attached to his DSS and it worked pretty damn well, i must say. There was only a VERY slight ghosting of the image, but other than that it was almost pristine. Of course it only had to transmit to his bedroom one floor below the receiver, but it saved a hell of a lot of wiring! I'll try to get the name of it next time I visit.