Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Component cables

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-28-03, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get some component cables for my dvd player to go to the t.v. since I just bought an Sony Bigscreen HDTV. I plan on buying monster cables. Is there a difference between the standard and the HighRes Monster Cables?

I noticed there is a Monster Cable 1, 2, and 3? What's the difference between these?

Last edited by Cyberock; 04-28-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 12:56 AM

just get the video1. if you want better skip video2 and go straight to 3. dont go beyond 3, its a waste of money.

trust me on this one. ive had many monster trainings from noel lee and down, no one can tell you why they are better... video 3 just has silver in it (better for high frequencies, which much of video is), but video 1 is fine.
Old 04-29-03, 01:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Or... save even more money and just buy Acoustic Research cables. They will also be just as good as Monster Cables. Your eyes will never notice a difference. But, your pocketbook sure will.
Old 05-01-03, 10:26 PM
Rest in Peace

I have no proof on this one but

I think it was about 3 years ago I read Sony was using silver in cables for their CES show products. In buying my HDTV I noticed that are sponser has the word Silver Serpent in it, so I have all my cables with a .999 silver plate on Oxygen Free Copper.

Bettercables.com calls them Silver Serpents, oh joy what a difference over my AR components. Sorry Wolf I just couldn't believe the pic was gol dang clear. HDTV F38310, Silver Serpents and this device a IN3506, when on scroll down to video bandwith, really high end IMHO.
www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

To convert this computer switcher to 6 to 1 component switcher, I used gold plated
BNC to PHONO jacks, total of 21 were needed for my single Y-Pr-Pb input on back of HDTV.

Last edited by danol; 05-01-03 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 11:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: I have no proof on this one but

Originally posted by danol
I think it was about 3 years ago I read Sony was using silver in cables for their CES show products. In buying my HDTV I noticed that are sponser has the word Silver Serpent in it, so I have all my cables with a .999 silver plate on Oxygen Free Copper.

Bettercables.com calls them Silver Serpents, oh joy what a difference over my AR components. Sorry Wolf I just couldn't believe the pic was gol dang clear. HDTV F38310, Silver Serpents and this device a IN3506, when on scroll down to video bandwith, really high end IMHO.
And the pic wasn't as clear with your AR cables? Hard to believe you can notice a difference. Is your nickname "eagle eyes?" I bet that 99% of us can't tell a difference between the cables in an honest test. Would be nice to have Consumer Reports run a test for us. Set up a home theatre with two HD inputs, one with AR cables, and one with the $200 (how much are they?) cables you are referring to.
Old 05-02-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Wolf Husky
Or... save even more money and just buy Acoustic Research cables. They will also be just as good as Monster Cables. Your eyes will never notice a difference. But, your pocketbook sure will.
I will second this. It's what I did and the AR cables work superbly.
Old 05-02-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also have AR and Monster cables. I think AR are great. I got the monster cables thrown in when I bought some electronics so I didn't complain...but save the extra money..get AR.

-pedagogue
Old 05-02-03, 11:55 PM

My friend ordered a projector and needed a fairly long component cable for his setup. Wanting to save money he ordered a 30ft run of "radio shack" priced cables (no idea what brand they are)....I think the run cost him 50 bux or so. To help determine if he should "upgrade" to a higher end cable we ran a not very scientific though very telling test.
Using a mitty ws 55111 as the monitor and a denon dvd 1600 as the source we ran the same scence from the super bit version of fifth element (ch 8 i think..the one where she jumps off the building..lotta small details, color and stuff moving around). We tested the three cables which we had, set of monster z3's, set of audioquest cables (i think thats the brand...at least something similarly priced to the z3's), and the cheapo cables which we laughed at when we broke em out of the bag.
After viewing each scene 2 or 3 times for each cable we came to the conclusion that clarity, detail and color saturation were great and virtually identical among all three cables...there may have been a difference, but unless each cable was hooked up and the same scene was shown side by side, we couldn't tell the difference.
Ultimately because each cable performed so similarly we decided it simply wasn't worth the money to upgrade to a "higher end" cable ( i think he was considering a 30ft run of his audioquest cables). So he kept the cheaper cables he bought and we both felt kinda stupid for buying a much more expensive and supposedly better performing cable...in this case more didn't mean better.
Again this test was unscientific and in no way was this test definitive....your eyes may tell you something different..."borrow" some cables, check em out for yourself and come to your own conclusions...besides messing around with your gear is the most fun part.