Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question from an ignorant newbie...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I just purchased a home theatre system at Best Buy (I know, I know, but the 24 months of 0.0% APR was quite appealing). I bought a JBL (Model: SCS150SI), along with a Kenwood receiver (Model-6050).

But here's the problem. It was advertised as a 650 watt system. Being new and foolish, I believed them. It turns out, the speakers are 650 watts (5 satellites at 100 each, 1 subwoofer at 150).

But the receiver is only 500 watts.

I haven't opened any of it and can easily return it. The question is:

Would it be detrimental to the system to have a low-wattage receiver and high-wattage speakers?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Short answer: No, you’re fine; just hook it up and enjoy.

Long answer: The power rating for the receiver measures the maximum power the amplifier can deliver into a specified resistance (ohms) at some defined level of distortion. The power rating for the speakers measures the maximum power the speakers can safely handle before damage may result.

Under most conditions, the receiver will be called upon to deliver only a few watts. It is during very loud passages or transients that potential problems could occur. It takes 10 times the power to double the loudness. If you are listening at say an average power of 0.1 watts and suddenly the receiver is asked to produce a sound that is 3x as loud as the average—the receiver must generate 100 watts of power to achieve this volume. The problem occurs when an amplifier is taxed beyond its ability and “clips.” When an amp clips it can produce a tremendous amount of distortion filled power that could potentially damage the speakers. Unless you overdrive your receiver, you have nothing to fear.

IMO many people place undue emphasis on power ratings. All things being equal, the difference in the maximum volume produced between a 50watt and a 100watt amplifier is only 3db—a noticeable, but hardly substantial difference in sound pressure level.

One final point—manufacturer ratings, especially on most of the budget gear, are notoriously optimistic; i.e. untrustworthy. Don’t worry about the specs; what matters is how it sounds to you.
Old 04-06-03, 11:45 AM

Wow, great answer. Thanks for all the time you put into that.