Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What asking price should I go for a low hours Sony CX-850D Changer?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 11:13 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 200 DVD player in late 1999 for $700 + shipping, I have low hours on it. If you remember there were not that many anamorphic DVD discs available in 1999. The Changer got shelved, next year 2000 I started seeing a lot more anamorphic discs, rather than widescreen LBX. New 300 Changer was available so I bought the CX-860, then this year I bought the CX-875 300 + 1 Progressive Scan for expanding disc collection of 491.

The CX-850D has the jacks for 5.1 sound including fiber and Coax. Component, S-Video, and composite out for video to TV JVC & Panasonic and a few others have analog TV with 3 wire component out or HDTV. Capacity 200 DVD, CD, CD-R or VideoCD plays excellent black in color. I have the *Original* Remote Control, Owners Manual, and GUI VideoCD. VCD is used to put different jacket covers on jacket memory or GUI (Graphic User Interface).

Manual opening door can't fail like the 2 newer models with electronic doors it's Sonys first DVD changer. If I put this on Ebay what price shall I start it out at? TIA

Last edited by danol; 04-04-03 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 02:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Well, I bought the 875P for $400 shipped, brand new. Without progressive... without the 300 disc capability... without all the other features on the newer models... it's probably almost worthless.

You may be able to get $150 for it. Ask a pawn shop what they would give you for it... then multiply their price by about 2.5 to get the current value.

There's always a sucker out there. Find him! I'm not saying your DVD player is trash. I'm just saying you are asking in the same forum where people think $100 and $300 cables are a good buy. These people think they are educated, and they're not going to buy an old model like that for that kind of money. Most would probably rather shell out another $250 and get a brand new 875. Of course, most of the nuts on this site wouldn't buy Sony anyway.

Party on! Sony hasn't done me wrong yet! I have a

15-yo 19" TV
7-yo 35" TV
2-yo 65" TV
15-yo stereo (in closet)
3-yo 550C DVD player
2-mo 875P DVD player

and they all work just as good as the day I bought them. You all can buy your $10K Merick (or whatever that brand is) TVs. I'll stick with Sony, and over my lifetime will spend less total than you do on one TV.
Old 04-04-03, 09:49 AM
Rest in Peace

Wolf Husky

Thank you for your *honest* reply on just what I have asked for it in forums and online classifieds the last 2 years. I was using it at the time and got a solid bite of $150 waiting for that hard to get CX-875. It was the California Dock strike that held up the shipments for months. I just don't know what to do sell it at a big loss or keep as a spare to my other 2 changers.

Wolf I hate the childs size remote they sent with the 875, one thing I would like to share I use the 860 Remote instead of that mini remote. I also found out except for the flip button, the like new CX-850D remote works with the 875 also.

There's my problem sell it even though it works great, or keep it as a spare and the spare remote. The rack that I own won't take such a huge device as the Sony CX-850D, I did a check last night and I have 300 in 875 and 191 in the 860, but that is counting some discs for trade that I have listed in the exchange forum. Wolf that would bring down my number if I were to take them out if they don't trade. I am as lazy as they come after I retiring early at age 38 due to being personal reasons, only it wasn't the winning the state lottery or a rich Uncle.

I was thinking of turning it over to the Salvation Army 'minus' the Remote Control Let them sell it as a DVD, CD, or VCD player. There are a lot of cheap CD's around. I am not in need of money, just storage space of the original box it came it and the changer itself. Since I don't own a computer I would have to have a friend list it (Ebay) on their computer. Find someone that would like to trade it for a few DVD discs that I don't have would be another choice. Wolf do you think should I sell it or give it away for free to the Salvation Army for them to sell it and use the money for homeless people?

Last edited by danol; 04-04-03 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wolf Husky

There's always a sucker out there. Find him! I'm not saying your DVD player is trash. I'm just saying you are asking in the same forum where people think $100 and $300 cables are a good buy. These people think they are educated, and they're not going to buy an old model like that for that kind of money. Most would probably rather shell out another $250 and get a brand new 875. Of course, most of the nuts on this site wouldn't buy Sony anyway.

Party on! Sony hasn't done me wrong yet! I have a

15-yo 19" TV
7-yo 35" TV
2-yo 65" TV
15-yo stereo (in closet)
3-yo 550C DVD player
2-mo 875P DVD player

and they all work just as good as the day I bought them. You all can buy your $10K Merick (or whatever that brand is) TVs. I'll stick with Sony, and over my lifetime will spend less total than you do on one TV.

LOL seems you have strayed a bit off the topic of price and into defending your purchases of Sony products, but I guess buying Sony and Bose does that to people

However, you kind of contradict yourself by saying "you are asking in the same forum where people think $100 and $300 cables are a good buy. These people think they are educated". That leads one to believe you are a "bang for the buck" shopper or one that doesnt pay extra for name brands when no "theoretical" performance is gained.

I dont know if you have noticed, but all Sony products are overpriced when compared to other name brands of the same product. You could get the exact same size Toshiba, Hitachi or possibly Mitsubishi TV with as good or better picture quailty for hundreds less than a Sony and it will last just as long.

On topic, if money wasnt an issue donation would be my choice, it always feels good to help the needy play there dvd movies

Last edited by jumbojp; 04-04-03 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-04-03, 07:26 PM
Rest in Peace

jumbojp

That settles it the Salvation Army can have it to sell to the needy less one Remote Control that I am keeping. jumbojp I was thinking people that shop at Salvation Army stores would buy it, to house their Compact Disc collection.

DVD Collections of 200 at $20 each would be $4,000, where as CDs from BMG or pawn shops would be a hell of a lot less money. jumbojp I did apologize at the bottom for the rant I made. I was reading an article in Stereophile Guide To Home Theater and I got off tract.

Thanks for your responses Moderators feel free to take this thread off, the player is going to the Salvation Army.
Old 04-04-03, 10:42 PM

danol -- do you not have someone you could just give it to? A family you know at the church? A regular at the coffee shop? The salesperson that sold you the engagement ring you bought your wife? Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions.. just trying to spit out some ideas.

Oh -- I love that remote. I actually don't like large remotes.
Old 04-04-03, 11:10 PM
Rest in Peace

Wolf Husky

Wolf the people I know would rather have cash, a gift certicate or if it's a product; new and all wrapped up by the factory. Gift wrapped from a department store and national brand name, to impress her a big red bow if it's a woman.

IMHO Only Home Theater hobbiests would be thankful for a slightly used Brand name product. The way it is in 2003 not 1970, when we were married, divorced in May of 1979. We are all divorced, her sister, and her 3 brothers and my sister, none have remarried.

Salvation Army still stands thank you for the friendly advice.
Old 04-05-03, 11:02 AM

I'm just wondering if Salvation Army would be overkill. I can't imagine anyone that goes to Salvation Army needing a 200-disc DVD player. Personally, I think if those hungry people need to buy 50-cent shirts, they probably shouldn't be buying $20 DVDs. But, who can blame them. Do any of us have our priorities straight when it comes to home theatre?

How about raffling it at a school function? Or maybe set something up at the local supermarket for a raffle (if they are legal in your state) and donate the money to S.A.? Charity is a great idea. I'm just thinking there would be a "loss" giving it to S.A. the way it is.