Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How I upgraded to DirecTV HD for $150

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I put most of this in another thread, but thought it would be appropriate and valuable on its own.

Of course, you have to already have an HD-ready TV, that is not included in this calculation. I purchased my HD set a couple months ago, but held off on the receiver because they were anywhere from $500 - $900 more. I also knew HD DirecTV/TIVO units are due sometime this year, so I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into a temp fix. Once I put all this together, it was a no-brainer to go ahead and do it. Here's how I did it.

The RCA DTC-100 DirecTV HD receiver has been discontinued, however if you call around your local Radio Shacks, there's a good chance you can find one for $199. (Call one store, they can check the entire area for stock.) It probably won't have an access card, but DirecTV will send you one for $20. The biggest issue with this receiver is that it only has VGA output. Fortunately, you can get the RCA Component adapter VHDC300 for $35 - $50 on Ebay. Polish it off with the discontinued Radio Shack double bowtie antenna off Ebay for around $20.

Now you've spent about $290. Not bad, but it gets better. Call DirecTV and ask to speak with customer retention. Once you have them on the line, tell them you are looking to switch to HD service but are concerned about the high cost. With very little urging, they should give you a $150 credit on your account upon activation of the receiver. They also will give you the upgraded dish and install it for only $14.95. (Thanks to AVS forums!)

Your total cost for HD? $154.95. Since the HD DirecTV/TIVO units are expected to retail for nearly $1000 at debut, this is a great way to get HD and be able to hold out until the TIVO units drop to a reasonable level.

I do have to give credit where it is due. I got all this information from various threads mostly at the HTF and AVS forums, but I thought a number of DVDTalkers would find it valuable as well.
Old 04-02-03, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man... if only I could get locals on DirecTv here or at least get waivered for distant nets. Dish Network recently got our locals (bout dang time). The inability to receive 'network' tv and a tree I can't do anything about prevents me from going to DirecTv. Too bad.. your discount plan sounds like a good one. I feel like my HDTV-ready TV will always only be 'ready' here unless I cough up the cash for a terrestrial tuner and could somehow get an antenna on the apartment.
Old 04-15-03, 11:53 AM

I called DTV and they said that they never have given any credit of any sort... they told me that you did not need a HDTV receiver to receive their service, so they did not have any "refund" offers available...

That sucks... $150 would have been nice...
Old 04-16-03, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by chrisfelice
I called DTV and they said that they never have given any credit of any sort... they told me that you did not need a HDTV receiver to receive their service, so they did not have any "refund" offers available...

Are you a current DirecTV subscriber? Sounds like you talked to customer service, not customer retention. You need to ask to speak to customer retention to get someone who can help you.

You don't need an HDTV receiver to get DirecTV, but you do need it in order to watch HD Net, HBO-HD, or Showtime-HD.
Old 04-16-03, 10:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by chrisfelice

Yeah, this scheme is solely based on the ability to get a CRR to offer $150 off. If they don't want to offer it for whatever reason, you are OOL.
Old 04-16-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's hard to get a hold of a "{Customer Retention" Rep too.

I called and some old bat of a CSR said no such department existed, and what can I help you with.

I gave up.. I didn't want to deal with them.
Old 04-17-03, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Wolf Husky
Yeah, this scheme is solely based on the ability to get a CRR to offer $150 off. If they don't want to offer it for whatever reason, you are OOL.
"Scheme"?? Perhaps it wasn't intentional, but that makes it sound like I was trying to put one over on DirecTV. Everything I said to them was completely factual.

All I said was that DirecTV/HDTV units retail for an average of $200 more than OTA-only units. Then I asked if there was anything DirecTV could do to help defray the cost. She said she understood, did some checking, and came back with $150 off offer upon activation of the receiver.

Should I then refuse the offer because I was able to find a receiver cheaper?
Old 04-17-03, 11:29 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by bralph
"Scheme"?? Perhaps it wasn't intentional, but that makes it sound like I was trying to put one over on DirecTV.
A scheme is simply defined as "a plan of action." Intentions don't have to be devious just to be a scheme.

What I said is also completely factual. You outlined a plan, or scheme. The plan (or scheme) is solely based on getting a CRR to offer you $150 so you would be more happy with their service and be "retained" as a DirecTV customer. That is absolutely what a Customer Retention Dept would do.

Other users are reporting that they are told a CRR or CRD don't exist.