Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with jittering picture

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-03-03, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I recently bought a Samsung DVD-P421 player. I have it connected via component cables. It is progressive scan. Tonight was the first time I really had a chance to sit down and watch a movie on it. Unfortunately I noticed that every so often the picture jitters real quick, ya know its like 2 images are on there real quick. I don't know how to describe it any better. Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong with it? I tried the dvds in my upstairs player and there is nothing wrong with the discs themselves. I was hoping it was something elementary but if not I am going to have to try to exchange it for a new one I guess. Has anyone ever had this problem before? If you guys could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-03-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like what you're describing is what is known as combing. This hapens when your progressive player takes the two interlaced frames of video and combines them together to make one progressive field. This usually happens if the deinterlacer in the player can't read the cadence correctly or the flags on the disc telling if it is video or film based are being read wrong. If it does this with a lot of your discs I'd say you should return it for another brand. Try it in interlaced mode to see if the problem goes away. If it does play fine in interlace then it's combing in progressive and should be returned.
Old 03-04-03, 11:31 AM

how do I play it in interlaced mode? And if this combing is the problem is it going to be a problem with the exact same model only a different player? i.e. will I actually have to get a different model player?
Old 03-04-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do I play it in interlaced mode?
Your owner's manual will tell you how.
Old 03-04-03, 01:13 PM

I looked in the manual and the setup menu and i couldnt find interlaced mode mentioned anywhere. Is this an option on all players?
Old 03-04-03, 01:32 PM

heres an update:
I have noticed problems both on Six Feet Under and Sports Night
but then popped in Lawrence Of Arabia and nothing was wrong. Is it still the problem you were reffereing to earlier then? This seems very weird
Old 03-04-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by tupacwe
I looked in the manual and the setup menu and i couldnt find interlaced mode mentioned anywhere. Is this an option on all players?
Yes.

Rather than a specific setting for interlaced mode, your player may just have a control to turn progressive scan On or Off. Which is it set for now? (Interlaced means that progressive scan is turned off.) Try it both ways.
Old 03-04-03, 02:27 PM

I don't see an option like that anywhere in the menu or in the guide. Thats really weird. I guess I might just return it and get a different player.
Old 03-04-03, 03:18 PM

Ok, I think I have some new info here, I looked on the back of the player and it looks like it has been on interlaced all along, when I flip the switch to progressive it doesnt even work, I guess my TV doesn't handle progressive. So this problem has been happeneing when it is on interlaced, so do you think i just got a faulty player? Or...? Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
Thanks so much!
Tupacwe
Old 03-04-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like you have a faulty player. You can also check your cables to make sure they're seated correctly. If you have one try a S-Video cable instead of component cables. I could be wrong but I don't think the comb filter on the TV kicks in when you're using component cables. It only gets activated with composite or S-Video cables.
Old 03-04-03, 07:10 PM

yeah i know the cables are plugged in right and everything, but are you saying that I won't be able to use component? At any rate it sounds like I should head down to best buy tommorow and exchange it for the same player and see if it works fine then.