Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

opinions on a mitsubishi ws-65411

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this a HDTV 65" widescreen tv.
A guy I know is a employee that will sell this unit to me at what seems an amazing price. But I was forst hoping to get some knowledgeable opinions on this unit. It looks great in the store, they are runing the the discovery HD channel on it and, DAMN, its impressive. THe price im looking at is $2299.00
And i would prob buy thier 5 year plan for any prob and they re-imburse you 200.00 of that if you do not use the plan in that time.
please advise.
Old 03-03-03, 09:13 AM
Banned

Mistubishi makes great Projection TVs. I will recommend them over any other brand because, to me, they look incredible compared to the competition. That price does seem pretty good to me... I say go for it.
Old 03-03-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good price, awesome rp. (Mitsu is *the* company for rp's!!!) VEry similar to our 65819. Check out hometheaterspot.com for lots of discussions and a members-only 'tweaks' section that's invaluable. With that info and an Avia dvd, you can really make the Mitsus shine.
Old 03-03-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the 65819 and have been incredibly happy with it. I can't speak to the price of that specific model, but if things are the same as when I bought mine, Mits is the leader in the "bang for your buck" category. You'll get a better picture out of the box with a Pioneer Elite but for a much higher cost. With Avia (or better, ISF calibration), you can make the Mits kick some serious ass.

das
Old 03-03-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Avia will help a lot (tv's still ship with the contrast turned up to 100%!); Avia plus the hometheaterspot tweaks (including service menu access for tweaking geometry, centering, overscan, etc.) is even better, and will fix the distortions that are probably present in the corners, plus reduce excessive overscan; a full ISF calibration will really perfect things, although I haven't had one done yet but am considering it. You can do a lot with Mitsu's just from the Avia and service menus, though.
Old 03-04-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this TV. I would highly reccommend it. That does seem to be a good price. I shopped around alot and still paid 2600.00.
Just make sure it is not a floor model. I would also reccommend an ISF calibration. I had it done by Gregg Lowenn from HTF and was very impressed with the results. The differrence is like NIGHT and DAY.
Old 03-04-03, 09:26 PM

we'll i plunged and bought this set for 2899.00 and that came with a 5 year extended warranty. I have all so ordered the avia disc.
I allso have contacted a local dealer that is certified ISF.

Allthough i have read that you should give it a 100 hour burn in.
He has given me some helpfull hints.
Thanks everyone that posted thier comments.
Old 03-05-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd give it more than 100 hours. It only took me 7-8 days to pass 100 hours, but it took a good 3 months before I felt the set had completely broken in. Until that point, I had variations in convergence between viewings. That's not to say it was bad, just that it wasn't ready for a final calibration yet, IMO. Maybe my situation is unique, because I watch significantly more TV than ... well ... let's just say anyone on the planet ... but I'd recommend giving it a while before dropping cash on the ISF. Keep in mind though that I have the 65819, not the 65411.

das
Old 03-05-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by reader
we'll i plunged and bought this set for 2899.00 and that came with a 5 year extended warranty. I have all so ordered the avia disc.
Just out of curiousity...what was the extra $400 for..in your original post you indicated you could get it for $2,299 + $200 EW = $2,499 Do you live in a 16% sales tax state? Or was the $2,299 price for a floor model? Just curious..
Old 03-05-03, 11:58 AM

i actaully could have had it for 2799.00 with a 5 year warranty.
that the tv for 2299.00 plus 500.00 for the warranty
and i paid the guy 100.00 for swinging me a great deal. So total was 2899.00.
i live in a no sales tax state.
if i do not have to use the extended warranty at all, they (the store) will re-imburse me 200.00 of the 500.00 for the extended warranty after the 5 year warranty is up.
Old 03-05-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The warranty sounds like a rip IMO. I assume it's really just 4 years beyond the factory 1-year for parts & labor, in-home. And Mitsu is good with their warranty service. Plus, if anyhting major goes wrong it'll porbably happen within the first couple of months. My 11-year-old Mitsu just started showing signs of the power supply going. Not a problem in 10 years (and a zillion hours!). It spent a year recently in storage, which may have contributed to the problem.

Those 'extended warranties' are generlaly not much more than a good moneymaker for the stores. Heck, I bet the guy pocketed about half of it as commission, which is typical. Plus the extra $100 you gave him!

All that aside, it's a great tv. I'd go through the AVia (very educational) and even drop a few $$$ to join the hometheaterspot for access to their extensive 'tweaks' forum. Once you learn the joys of the service menus, etc., you won't feel so anxious about getting an ISP calib. done right away. You can cover more than just the basics with just the Avia and remote, say, a good 95% of where you want to be (which is *much* better than any store set-up!) including significant geometry and color fixes.
Old 03-05-03, 05:25 PM

this is a brand new unit, i took it home still in the cardboard
Can you access the sevice menus inthe newer models?
Old 03-05-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, but be careful as you *can* screw things up. OTOH, you can really clean up the details that will never be right on any rptv out of the box. And if you like to tinker, it's fun too! BTW, it's the much older sets which had circuit boards and arrays of trim pots for adjustments, and no real tweakability from the remotes. The new models (esp. Mits.) have extensive adjustments available thru the remote.

You can get a lot of basic info from the site I mentioned; the detailed tweaks and info are in a members-only forum. But well worth it IMO. (I have no affiliation with them other than I have used the info there and it makes a huge difference!)
Old 03-06-03, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by drmoze
The warranty sounds like a rip IMO. I assume it's really just 4 years beyond the factory 1-year for parts & labor, in-home. And Mitsu is good with their warranty service. Plus, if anyhting major goes wrong it'll porbably happen within the first couple of months. My 11-year-old Mitsu just started showing signs of the power supply going. Not a problem in 10 years (and a zillion hours!). It spent a year recently in storage, which may have contributed to the problem.

Those 'extended warranties' are generlaly not much more than a good moneymaker for the stores. Heck, I bet the guy pocketed about half of it as commission, which is typical. Plus the extra $100 you gave him!

All that aside, it's a great tv. I'd go through the AVia (very educational) and even drop a few $$$ to join the hometheaterspot for access to their extensive 'tweaks' forum. Once you learn the joys of the service menus, etc., you won't feel so anxious about getting an ISP calib. done right away. You can cover more than just the basics with just the Avia and remote, say, a good 95% of where you want to be (which is *much* better than any store set-up!) including significant geometry and color fixes.
While I agree 500 for the warrenty was a bit on the high side, I believe they are worth it, especially on today's HD sets, I feel the ISP is more of a waste than the warrenty. And NO, no one gets 50% comission on them.

You will be happy with the set, and you got a great price on it. Just remember, no video games on it, and try not to watch 4:3 programs with the "bars" on both sides, use the stretch modes!!