Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Who is Waiting To Get Their HD Widescreen TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Who is Waiting To Get Their HD Widescreen TV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wiz
I've been waiting and looking and researching for 3 years on a HDTV widescreen set, and finally got mine a couple of weeks ago. Here it is and I must say I am glad I took the plunge and for 24 months no interest also.

**Picture Deleted**

Also, I watch my Digital Cable (HDTV will be avail in about 2 months from Comcast here) in the "Full" mode so it fills the screen, and I am so used to the widescreen picture that when I go back to the 4:3 TV in the bedroom, it feels like it is distorted for some reason. The DVD's and PS2 look great on the TV though and I can't wait for the Super Bowl this weekend.
That looks like a Toshiba, yes? How do you like it? I am extremely curious about how normal tv looks on the 16:9 sets, are there just bars on the left/right similar to widescreen movies on a 4:3??

Thanks.
Old 01-22-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the toshiba sets are supposed to have the best stretch modes available if you want to fill the entire screen. or you can just keep the program in 4:3 with the bars on the left/right sides.
Old 01-23-03, 01:20 AM

re: who is waiting.....?

I decided on Panny 53" a while ago, but decided to wait till summer.
Why? You guys spoiled me with great pictures of your home theaters and I want to redo my bedroom to have a proper setup Summer is better for remodeling, plus surely prices will drop in next few months.

Can't wait tho! It is so tempting just go and buy one.
Old 01-23-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I was going to buy a giant widescreen TV until I started doing some research and found out about LCD projectors. Now I'm glad I looked around first.

Front projectors are definetely the solution for anyone on a budget or someone who has space issues. Heck, it's definetely the solution for anyone who wants a big-ass screen and a true cinema like experience.

I bought a Panasonic PLV-Z1 for $1,500. I have it projecting on a bare white wall right now, but the picture is about as good as most rear-projection sets. The LCD sets and plasmas may look better, but they cost at least twice as much. And my screen is twice as large (75 inch diagonal) and I could easily project a 90+ inch screen without much picture degradation. Plus when I decide to move out of my house, I don't have to hire bonded movers just to get my TV out of my basement.

Before you go buy a big-honking TV, do yourself a favor and at least do a little research into front projectors. Try www.avsforum.com if you want more info.
Old 01-23-03, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
funkyryno,

Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about this alternative.
Old 01-23-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RandyC

Nice plasma, is that the stand that came with it?
Old 01-23-03, 10:15 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I purchased my set (sony KP-57WV700) in November 2002. Experiencing my 400+ dvd collection all over again was well worth the price of admission. I just installed new B&W speakers and a HD STB w/OTA and look forward to hosting my annual Superbowl Party in all its HD glory.

You can see the rest of my HT here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...&pagenumber=12
Old 01-23-03, 10:42 AM
Banned

I'm waiting for it to become standard (i.e. - reasonably priced). Plus at the moment I doubt that I can actually recieve a HDTV signal.

Old 01-23-03, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by wb3032
I have a question, if you buy a tv that is listed as "HDTV WideScreen" is it already to recieve HDTV singnal and you have to buy nothing else?. And the TVs that state "HDTV-ready WideScreen" does that mean that you have to buy the HDTV reciever for it and then you can get the HDTV signals?

If it is advertised correctly, "HDTV Widescreen" means there is nothing else you need since it has an integrated HD tuner. "HDTV ready" or "HDTV monitor" means you still need an external box to receive the signal.

I bought my Mitsubishi just over 3 years. Believe me, prices have come WAY down since. But in the meantime, while all the doomsayers have been how it's going to be obosolete, I've been enjoying my set. I still absolutely love it and never regret buying it
Old 01-23-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Man, if I had an allocatable $2,000 right now I would buy a 16x9 HDTV set in a heartbeat....
Old 01-23-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
Nice plasma, is that the stand that came with it?
Why yes!
Old 01-23-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
the toshiba sets are supposed to have the best stretch modes available if you want to fill the entire screen. or you can just keep the program in 4:3 with the bars on the left/right sides.

Thanks..

Originally posted by funkyryno I was going to buy a giant widescreen TV until I started doing some research and found out about LCD projectors. Now I'm glad I looked around first.

Before you go buy a big-honking TV, do yourself a favor and at least do a little research into front projectors. Try www.avsforum.com if you want more info.
If you are going with a front projector I would suggest a DLP projector over an LCD. The overall picture quality is starting to rival that of the expensive CRT projectors. Also, DLP's aren't that much more than LCD projectors.

And as funkyryno points out, they are much, much easier to move. The only problem is placement of the projector in a room (either ceiling or floor).
Old 01-23-03, 01:22 PM
wiz

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
That looks like a Toshiba, yes? How do you like it? I am extremely curious about how normal tv looks on the 16:9 sets, are there just bars on the left/right similar to widescreen movies on a 4:3??

Thanks.
Yes, it's the Toshiba 42H82 I think is the model number, 42" Rear projection. I have the Digital Cable set to "Full" mode so it stretches the 4:3 and fills the screen. I actually prefer the stretched 4:3 picture to the regular 4:3 picture on my 27" TV, but I guess that's just me. I so far am enjoying the hell out of my TV. I will try to take a picture tonight with the TV turned on. Now I just need to sell my PS2 and get an Xbox so I can get better quality video out of games like madden 2003 and what not.

My biggest problem is that I'm too close to the TV. I am only sitting about 6 ft (at the max) away from the TV due to my small apartment. this is why I went with such a small size projection TV and not a larger 50+ inch model. I plan on moving in about a year though into a house, so if I need something bigger then, this would be nice to have in the bedroom.
Old 01-23-03, 01:28 PM
dgc

Here's a some good articles on this topic:

http://www.htadvice.com/home/spot_light_dec2002.html

http://www.htadvice.com/home/spot_light_jan2002.html

I use my HDTV a lot (DVD, OTA and gaming) so the idea of a $500+ bulb replacement per 2500 hours is what turned me off of front projection. At an estimated 4 hours per day your looking at a bulb replacement every 2 years.

Last edited by dgc; 01-23-03 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
dgc,

You might want to keep your stereo stuff (particularly the receiver) a little further away from your HDTV (unless you squeezed them together just for the nice pose).

Nice tv, btw. I don't have an X-box, but with a tv like that, I would sure be playing more games on the television than the pc.
Old 01-23-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not one for being patient so I've had one for a couple of years. Best thing I ever did. We watch TV during the week and DVD's only on weekends but it's well worth it. I agree with just about every reason to wait except for a few. Some people get into a cycle of knowing that prices will come down, features will improve, etc. So they just keep holding off until the perfect time comes along. Well it's never going to come. Just like a computer you have to know that within 6 months or a year you'll see the same thing for less and another new and improved model come out. Figure the added money is the cost of ownership for that period of time and just like a car, the highest cost comes within the first 6 months to a year.

By all means though, make sure you have the cash and the room or you'll have a bad case of buyers remorse.
Old 01-23-03, 06:12 PM
dgc

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
dgc,

You might want to keep your stereo stuff (particularly the receiver) a little further away from your HDTV (unless you squeezed them together just for the nice pose).

Nice tv, btw. I don't have an X-box, but with a tv like that, I would sure be playing more games on the television than the pc.
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but can you go into more detail as to why I should move my A/V rack further from the TV? Am I some how harming my TV? Are there magnets in my A/V receiver?
Old 01-23-03, 06:36 PM

The only thing keeping me from an HDTV is that my ReplayTV doesn't record HD. I can't live without that at this point. As soon as they release an HD PVR, I'll be in the stores buying an HDTV.
Old 01-23-03, 11:38 PM

JimRochester,

Its great you're enjoying your HDTV set today (and I do envy those who do) instead of putting it off like the rest of us. Part of me still thinks I should just take the plunge and enjoy my DVD collection the best way I can. But there's just this nagging feeling that as we get closer to the time HDTV does become standardized there will be something that will be missing; that I'll have to either upgrade (at great expense) or that I won't be able to upgrade at all.

Again, that's not the only reason but until the time comes when HDTV becomes standardized everything is sort of up in the air or "fair game". That all the big networks, cable companies, and television manufacturers will consider people who own HDTV's today to be such a small minority (who have plenty of disposable income anyways) that any backlash to any radical changes will be small compared to what they might have to offer (or do) in the near future.

Last edited by Ian11; 01-23-03 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ian11
JimRochester,

Its great you're enjoying your HDTV set today (and I do envy those who do) instead of putting it off like the rest of us. Part of me still thinks I should just take the plunge and enjoy my DVD collection the best way I can. But there's just this nagging feeling that as we get closer to the time HDTV does become standardized there will be something that will be missing; that I'll have to either upgrade (at great expense) or that I won't be able to upgrade at all.
yes, there is something you will be missing...HD DVD. by the time the HDTV format is standard your DVD collection will be obsolete. if you want to enjoy your DVD collection now you should buy yourself an HD set now. after all, why would you want to watch your standard definition 480p movies when all the channels/programs/movies/hd dvds will be encoded in 720p/1080i?

that's why i no longer buy dvds. i use netflix to rent them as the last thing i need is a several hundred piece collection of something that will be phased out in the next 5 years.
Old 01-24-03, 01:02 PM
dgc

Originally posted by broadwayblue
yes, there is something you will be missing...HD DVD. by the time the HDTV format is standard your DVD collection will be obsolete. if you want to enjoy your DVD collection now you should buy yourself an HD set now. after all, why would you want to watch your standard definition 480p movies when all the channels/programs/movies/hd dvds will be encoded in 720p/1080i?

that's why i no longer buy dvds. i use netflix to rent them as the last thing i need is a several hundred piece collection of something that will be phased out in the next 5 years.
I see your logic in getting an HDTV now to enjoy an extensive dvd collection but are you assuming all current standard dvd releases will be replaced with the HD-DVD format all at the same time when HD-DVD becomes available? There are films on laser disc that aren't yet available on dvd. What makes you think studios will author all of their dvds to the HD-DVD format. It will take a long time to completely phase out standard dvd.

After HD-DVD, what happens when they annouce the new holographic dvd format. Will you not buy HD-DVD and wait until your in a nursing home to consider purchasing Holographic DVD?

This of course is all a mute point if you prefer to rent and are not a collector. It 's a bad reason not to buy simply for the sake of something new on the distant horizon.

Last edited by dgc; 01-24-03 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
The only reason I waited was to do research and save up some $$. Like others have noted, if you're waiting just because of the next big thing around the corner, you'll be waiting forever.

Getting a WS HDTV (47" Samsung; 2 yrs. no int.) was like getting all new DVDs at the same time. The difference is absolutely phenomenal. The set works just fine for regular TV too, and it's excellent for PS2 games.

No way was I going to sit around and wait for HDTV to be "the standard." This is the federal government we're talking about; deadlines change and are forever pushed out. I'll get the HD receiver when I need it. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my DVD collection like never before.
Old 01-24-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got three, 43" Sony - 57" Sony & a 65" Mitsubishi. I don't regret purchasing any of them.
Old 01-24-03, 05:04 PM
dgc

Originally posted by uteotw
Getting a WS HDTV (47" Samsung; 2 yrs. no int.) was like getting all new DVDs at the same time. The difference is absolutely phenomenal. The set works just fine for regular TV too, and it's excellent for PS2 games.
Preach away brother!!! It's absolutely the best way to game and re-experience your dvds. That and a 5.1 setup.
Old 01-24-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dgc
I see your logic in getting an HDTV now to enjoy an extensive dvd collection but are you assuming all current standard dvd releases will be replaced with the HD-DVD format all at the same time when HD-DVD becomes available? There are films on laser disc that aren't yet available on dvd. What makes you think studios will author all of their dvds to the HD-DVD format. It will take a long time to completely phase out standard dvd.

After HD-DVD, what happens when they annouce the new holographic dvd format. Will you not buy HD-DVD and wait until your in a nursing home to consider purchasing Holographic DVD?

This of course is all a mute point if you prefer to rent and are not a collector. It 's a bad reason not to buy simply for the sake of something new on the distant horizon.

the problem is that dvds (in the current 480p format) are an interim technology. the HDTV standards have been set and 720p/1080i will one day be ubiquitous. yes, it will take several years before that happens...but the transformation has already begun. this fall it is very likely that almost all the prime time shows on the major networks will be broadcast in HD (excluding fox and their crappy enhanced definition standard...which is actually the same resolution as a dvd...but NOT HD)

i don't know what holographic dvd is but my point is that HDTV is the greatest step forward in television since color television 40 years ago...and it will soon be the standard. once HD arrives it is here to stay. it is always possible that a better dvd format will be released but the reality is that HD DVD (with a 720p or 1080i format) will go hand in hand with the television standard of the same resolution for the next couple decades...1080p being the only other format i can think of that might become a reality for either television or movies.

and no, i do not believe that all dvds will become available on HD DVD the moment the new standard is available...it will take years to get entire studio catalogs out. but with video on demand becoming more prevalent it is only a matter of time before HD pay per view rears its head...but in the meantime you can watch a movie in HD on HBO and enjoy it more than watching the dvd in 480p.

that's why i stopped buying dvds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.