Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Decent Speaker System?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Decent Speaker System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 08:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decent Speaker System?

This is in elaboration on the thread below, complaining about the difficulty of hearing dialogue with heavy background music.

Same problem here.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced speaker system?

Thanks.
Ricardo
Old 01-13-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You could probably get more help in the DVD & Home Theatre Hardware forum that's here. But I have the Kenwood HTB-205. It costs around $250. It has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. IMO it sounds great.
Old 01-13-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Decent Speaker System?

Originally posted by Ricardo41
This is in elaboration on the thread below,
Besides zak's recommendation that this would be better suited for Hardware, keep in mind that threads shift positions. Every time someone posts to a thread, it moves back to the top of the forum, so the thread you're referring to won't always be below this one.
Old 01-13-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to think myself as kind of an audiophile, so what I am going to recommend to you might alarm you. If you are looking for a set of cheap speakers then I suggest these:

Logitech Z-680

Now these are meant as computer speakers, but I have a pair on my computer and read a review in, I believe, " Home Theater Magazine who said that anyone on a tight budget should look into these as a home theater set for starters. I love mine, and could go on and on about them. I will let some of these reviews speak for themselves though.

IGN Review

ExtremeTech Review

There arre many more reviews on-line and all rave about them. Anyway, I hope this helps out some.
Old 01-13-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I asked that question a few weeks ago:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=261134

Onkyo got high grades, but it's $600.
Old 01-13-03, 11:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You're probably going to have to be a little more specific with what your reasonable price is... that means different things to different people.

The DVD Talk Main Forum is for discussion of DVD releases and specs... this post belongs in the Hardware Forum, where I'm putting it now.
Old 01-17-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you're looking for a speaker system (and not a reciever to go along with it), I'd highly recommend the Onkyo SKSHT-500. While some may be negative towards the low price of the set (around $250 for 2 surrounds, 2 mains, center & subwoofer), I think you get a serious value for the price, as the 150-watt subwoofer in the set goes for $150 alone, while the build quality of all the speakers in the set is solid. The only problem - they're BIG speakers.
Old 01-17-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Decent Speaker System?

Originally posted by Ricardo41
This is in elaboration on the thread below, complaining about the difficulty of hearing dialogue with heavy background music.

Same problem here.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced speaker system?

Thanks.
Ricardo
In my opinion, the first thing I would want to know is, what is your receiver? Are you listening to 5.1 sound? DTS/DD? Do you have a center channel speaker?

If you are not, then the problem is not the speakers as much as you are getting the dialogue muddled in the sound mix.

When I replaced a Dolby Prologic receiver with a true/good 5.1 receiver. my muddled dialogue problems were cured.
Old 01-18-03, 06:57 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

even the the z-560's are supposedly great (i havent heard them)... the z-680's, ive heard have a few problems, mainly a hissing noise, and a bunch of pops and clicks when changing different inputs (optical, coax... etc.), and it also pops and clicks trying to find out what type of stream it needs (dd 5.1, dts, etc.)

for that reason i would reccomend a htib if you are on a budget. ive heard the kenwoods are supposed to be pretty nice.

some information about em before you spend your money on it

z-680

but this is just from what i have heard, and take it as it is..

Last edited by mwestep; 01-18-03 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have opinions on the speaker sets at www.y3kdigital.com ? they have a good deal on some Sony's
Old 01-23-03, 01:31 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally have PSB Speakers in my Home Theatre. They have great startup HT bookshelf speakers and also larger more theatre like speakers if you wallet can afford the dent they'll put in them. I can't believe the clarity of sound and the bass that they put out, although I have a sub now, so they only do mids and highs.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/