Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

S&V Home Theater Tune-Up vs. THX Optimizer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until Digital Video Essentials is released I thought Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-Up would suffice for now in setting up my new RPTV and progressive scan DVD. I found THX's Optimizer on my "Attack of the Clones" DVD just as effective and easier to use, especially setting color and tint, and basically it's free. THX's site gives you more details on how to use the Optimizer and you can pick up a pair of blue glasses there for 2 bucks.

https://secure.brandlocker.com/promos/thxpromo.cfm
Old 01-12-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
THX Optimizer is inherently flawed in design. The test patterns on each disc are valid for that disc only and do not apply to general settings at which to leave your television calibrated.

Sound & Vision is more accurate and is currently the best value on the market for calibration discs.
Old 01-12-03, 02:06 PM

Maybe it's a coincidence, but the settings I obtained for my TV from S&V were almost identical to those from THX Optimizer. It was just a lot easier to get to them with Optimizer.
Old 01-12-03, 04:29 PM

Why go with something with more history like AVIA or Video Essentials instead?

Dave
Old 01-12-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by DocBob
Maybe it's a coincidence, but the settings I obtained for my TV from S&V were almost identical to those from THX Optimizer. It was just a lot easier to get to them with Optimizer.
What that means is that the particular Optimizer you used just happened by coincidence to have the correct patterns. Pick up another THX disc, or even another copy of the same disc, and there is no guarantee that the patterns you get there will match.

Originally posted by DavidY
Why go with something with more history like AVIA or Video Essentials instead?
The Sound & Vision disc (which is made by the same people as Avia) is a great starter program, but it is not as comprehensive as Avia or Video Essentials, each of which has more test patterns for the more difficult calibrations (convergence, picture geometry, etc.). So there is still a market for those more expensive discs.
Old 01-13-03, 05:32 PM

Great. What that means then is that I can use the THX Optimizer on my "Attack of the Clones" DVD to set up my TV and sell the S&V Home Theater Tune-UP DVD on eBay. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by DocBob; 01-13-03 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
THX Optimizer is inherently flawed in design. The test patterns on each disc are valid for that disc only and do not apply to general settings at which to leave your television calibrated.

Sound & Vision is more accurate and is currently the best value on the market for calibration discs.
When Fight Club first came out I used the THX Optimizer and it did seem it was configured for that specific movie (the picture was too dark on other discs). However, I have used the newer Optimizer that is on "From Hell" and Monster's, Inc.". My settings were the same from both titles even though each have different video peramiters. And I was able to properly adjust the subwoofer crossover instead of just guess.

We just got digital cable installed and the settings used for the DVD S-Video Monitor are perfect for cable which we also view through S-Video. It is best to have separate video settings on both the TV and DVD player to ensure the best quality for each (if black level, sharpness, etc. is fine on cable but slightly off on DVD it can be adjusted through the player and not offset the digital cable settings).

Overall, I do not think it is necessary to invest in another disc for settings.