Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

blue ray discs replacing dvd?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-03, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will blue ray discs replace dvd? (or should I say when?) I've heard they will be in a cartridge and won't be backwards compatible with dvd. all this new stuff sounds great but it kinda sucks when you already have a ton of dvd's. players could show up as soon as 3 years from now.

Chris
Old 01-06-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Such is the life cycle of technology.
Old 01-06-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if HD-DVD isn't backward compatible, I'm sure companies will produce DVD/HD-DVD combo players.

When HD-DVD shows up in 2006 it will probably be a niche product for several years. DVD took about 3-4 years to become real popular and it had an incredible adoption rate. 6 years later my video store still has more VHS than DVD. HD-DVD will probably have a slower adoption rate because the average consumer won't see enough of a benefit to upgrade (especially when the players debut at high prices). VHS to DVD had huge improvements in audio quality and video quality, the additions of extras to many releases, and promise of a shiny disc that lasts forever. DVD to HD-DVD will have improvements in video quality and possibly audio quality that the average consumer will probably not care about.