DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which sub?? Approx $400-700

Old 12-28-02, 01:31 PM

Which sub?? Approx $400-700

I dont even know where to start. I have looked at SVS, but everyone I have talked to who owns a stereo shop, says no...for reasons other than quality, so please...help. Here is what I have...I have
Receiver--Buying Denon AVR 4802
Speakers- Boston Vr965 fronts
Audiophile 830LR Rears (replacing these soon)
Boston Center
DVD Player- HK DVD5
Old 12-28-02, 01:59 PM

I would definetely look at the Paradigm PW-2200 (12 inch driver) and the Definitive Technology SuperCube I or II.

I am leaning towards the Paradigm myself, although it costs $799. You will know where that extra money went. Tight, clean, responsive, and room filling bass.
Old 12-28-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Which sub?? Approx $400-700

Originally posted by dvds4u
... I have looked at SVS, but everyone I have talked to who owns a stereo shop, says no...for reasons other than quality, so please...
Could you elaborate a bit on that? I'm confused, as not only are SVS some of the best subs made, their return policy and customer service is first-rate. Just curious what the detractors could have to say (other then misinformation, perhaps) against them.
Old 12-28-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say either SVS or HSU in that price range from word of mouth.

And if they are mentioning anything about SVS customer service as the reason against just try writing them with any concerns you may have and trust that they will impress you.

Last edited by abintra; 12-28-02 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-28-02, 10:43 PM

another vote for SVS...service is great and the sub will add character (and some punch!) to your HT!!
Old 12-28-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this sub and am very happy with it

Energy S10.2
it retails for around $499 MSRP so it will probably be less expensive than that(400-499) so it will be towards the low end of the price you are looking at.

The Energy EXLS12 retails for $699 and is the larger sub and will also fit into your budget.

Energy makes good speakers and subs so they would be worth a listen.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/
Old 12-29-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't reccommend the SVS enough. I have the 25-31 PCi and couldn't be happier. As was mentioned before the customer service was first rate. If only I could get that level of CS everywhere! And the sub ROCKS! I want another one! Not that I need it but I am a bass freak. Already with just one it is knocking stuff off shelves in the OTHER ROOM!....at refrence levels that is
Old 12-29-02, 02:03 PM

Well the problem with SVS is not a problem with them per se, it is more of a historical problem with speaker companies. Once they get a good review, they try to make more and meet demand and in turn, they do one of two things...lessen the quality or go bankrupt...historically this has happened...obviously there are some exceptions, but this has happened a ton. Also, I was looking at the PC+ 20-39 and they are right around $1000 and that is more than i want to spend right now.

Last edited by dvds4u; 12-29-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your budget is $400-$700 you should be looking at the PCi line not the PC+.

In terms of their quality going downhill, that doesn't affect what you are buying now even if that does happen. The only reservation would be a warranty if you think they might go bankrupt. I would write them and share your concerns and see what they say as you more than likely won't find something that improves on what you can get from them for a cheaper price.
Old 12-30-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll second the Paradigm sub. It ROCKS!
Old 12-30-02, 08:36 AM

I have the Paradigm PW-2200. Pretty happy with it--very, very low and no distortion period. For the price (and it ain't cheap) it's a great unit. However, I have been studying SVS and I gotta tell ya--looks pretty appealing to me. Probably will go that way for next sub. Have read a ton (literally) of great reviews on them. Customer Service is always noted as GREAT. Lots of forums discussing this out their--many with comments from the SVS company owners themselves. I'm impressed. Good Luck!!
Old 12-30-02, 12:34 PM

Re: Which sub?? Approx $400-700

I have looked at SVS, but everyone I have talked to who owns a stereo shop, says no...for reasons other than quality
Another vote for SVS, and the reason all those stereo shop owners say no is because if you buy a SVS they won't get your money.
Old 12-30-02, 03:35 PM

d300..not true on the money...I have spent plenty there and they dont always try to sell me on their products. they dont carry my boston speakers and they told me if I could get them for the money I spent to jump on them...but if not and i had to pay retail, the paradigms were much better
Old 12-30-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the problem with SVS is not a problem with them per se, it is more of a historical problem with speaker companies...
If you don't choose SVS it's no skin off my nose, as I have no stake in it whatsoever.
You can choose any company you'd like, but if the above mentioned info is one of your criteria for searching for the 'right' one, I'd say you've eliminated...well, all of them.
Old 12-31-02, 02:46 AM

lol, i am actually going to listen to the paradigm next week...so I will update after that
Old 12-31-02, 10:40 AM

For the money you won't beat either SVS or HSU subs. Most comercial subs can't play as low or loud without spending significantly more. As far as both companies are concerned, they are both owned by people who really care about their product. They both are known for helping potential customers determine which product suits them best and helping to set up their product.

The VTF-2 is a great sub that can be found for under $500 shipped. Their TN series should come in under your budget as well.

If you wanted to go with SVS, you should be able to get a PCi under your budget. This would easily equal most commercial subs under $900. If you really want the plus series, you can get a CS+ (passive sub) for under $650 shipped and a parts express 250 watt plate amp for $150 shipped. These are high estimates, so you should have enough left over to build a box.
Old 12-31-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SVS all the way,iv used Paradigm and M&K subs and there realy is no contest....while Paradigm and M&K are nice subs they are wayyy over-priced for what you get...

i run a svs 25-31cs+ with a citation amp that at times makes the hair on my legs and arms tingle and stand strait upthe Lowww waves seem to go right through my body,LoTR Comes to mind....

keep an eye here

http://svsubwoofers.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=B-stock

good luck-
Old 01-03-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SVS 25-31 PCi for $549 has the best price/performance in your price range. SVS has top notch service and killer products. Salesmen don't recommmend them because it's a lost sale for them. However, I know salemen who own SVS for their own systems.

Check out this review on the 25-31:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_...r-12-2002.html