DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Horrible TV Problems

Old 12-25-02, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible TV Problems

I bought this Apex 27" TV a while ago and thought it was great for the price ($200) until I noticed two things that annoy the hell out of me now:

1. On the left and bottom of the TV screen, about an inch of picture is missing. That means if I'm watching CNN, I can only see the top of the text scrolling at the bottom. On DVDs, the upper black bar is much bigger than the lower. I didn't notice that the left side was cut off until I saw a box centered in the screen with black bars around the 4 sides and the left was much shorter than the right. UHG! WHY CAN'T THEY DO THIS RIGHT!

2. When watching DVDs, there is this awful buzzing sound coming frmo the TV. I thought at first it was my DVD player... there is no sound when theres no disc in but the player is on sending video signal to TV but when I insert a DVD and start watching it there is buzzing. Same when I watched DVD on my PS2 and Xbox. It's definitely the TV. Very very very annoying especially during quiet parts of movies.

What should I do? Just take this damn thing back and get a Panasonic 27" (like $300)?
Old 12-25-02, 04:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm no expert but it sounds like your vertical size needs adjusting (along with the Horizontal as well). Chack along hte bottom of the back and see if there are holes to use a small screwdriver in an adjustment. If not I'd say it's time for a replacement/return. I guess I'm glad I didn't venture out to Wal-Mart on Black Friday

Rick
Old 12-25-02, 04:53 PM

If I could fix that problem that would be great... the buzzing isn't too big of a deal. I'll check after I'm done with my game of DMC.
Old 12-27-02, 10:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DangerMouse, I guess this will teach you two things.

1. Avoid Apex next time.
2. Avoid low cost tvs next time.

But seriously, if my tv was like yours, I'd worry about the buzzing too. If you can return it, do it. Otherwise, sell it cheaply at a garage sale, keep as emergency tv, 2nd set, 3rd set, etc. Regarding the Panny, I have a 3 year old one and there are a couple things that I have noticed. The volume is very soft on mine, I do not know how they are today. If you plan on a receiver for home theater, it does not matter much but if you are using the tv speakers, it does. It has developed a slight flicker when cold, after 5-10 seconds it is fine. I see Sonys have louder speakers.