DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD/VHS suggestions..

Old 12-10-02, 12:22 PM

DVD/VHS suggestions..

My brother requested a combo DVD/VHS unit for an x-mas gift. He has a home theater unit. He says its pretty good. He doesn't have a HDTV and doesn't plan on getting one anytime soon.

The unit I been looking at is the Panasonic PV-D4762. I've seen it online for $238.88 free shipping and no sales tax. Any one here has one of these units? Any feedback? He also requested a Universal remote. I know from my exposure to my Sony DAV-S500 and my Proto TSU2000 that discrete on/off codes is important. Any one know if Panasonic units have discrete codes? I am disabled and house bound so I can't go testing these units first hand. I have to depend on the information I get online.

I know its frowned upon in places like this to get combo units, but putting that aside, any other units I should look at? Where are the best prices?

Paul
Old 12-10-02, 10:35 PM

I bought the Panasonic PV-D4752 a couple of months ago and am extremely happy with it. It is progressive scan which goes really well with my new Sony 34" Widescreen t.v. I like the combo players even though most people on the forum frown on them. It suits my purposes well because it fits better in my entertainment center than two separate devices. My kids still have some of their favorites on vhs and once in awhile I do tape a show or two so the vcr does get some use, and it does work well. Besides the progressive scan feature, I also like that it scales non-anamorphic dvds ( I think scaling is the proper term - but whatever it does it turns out to look good on the screen).

When I bought mine at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha, NE, I was able to use a Friends and Family Discount plus there was a $40 reabate available at the time - so I believe I paid just over $200.
Old 12-10-02, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Its feels good to know others have positive experiences with an electronic item I'm about to give as a gift. Sounds like my price is pretty good. maybe not as good as yours tho.. but then again the furniture stores near me only sell furniture. Do they sell couches at your local electronics store? (just teasing)

Paul