Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How's CyberHome DVD player at Best Buy?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a player for the in-laws. Now keep in mind that they are far removed from the rest of society as far as technlogy is concerned. I'm just looking for a player that can satisfy their once or twice a week movie viewing habit, nothing fancy.
I saw this player on sale at BB for $59, and wondered if anyone's had anything positive/negative to say about this player.
Thanks!
Old 12-09-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lets just say it plays DVD well. The more you spend the better you get. But for a B-I-L great deal.
Old 12-09-02, 09:59 PM

You are referring to the Cyberhome 402, $59 after a $10.00 instant rebate. The one to get was the better Cyberhome 500, $69 until today, when it went to $119 at Best Buy. The reason for that is that it is a good unit that has an optical sound output and component video, to out a progressive scan signal. This unit will probably go on sale again. At $69, the 500 was sold out at the Best Buy I went to, to get another one. The only downside to this unit is that you have to get the upgraded bios information from the Cyberhome website, to burn a CD-R to fix up the firmware on the unit. If the unit price goes down to $79.00 or less, you should get it for yourself.
Old 12-13-02, 11:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I purchased the Cyberhome 500 and while I am impressed in general, there is a problem with the picture being distorted/skewed on the top and top-left on some scenes in movies. I have been in contact with Cyberhome and will see what happens.

It is now back at $69.99 at BestBuy. Upgrading the firmware via a CDR is actually great. On my old machine, I had to bring it in to a service center for the tech to switch the chip.
Old 12-15-02, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mapson
I purchased the Cyberhome 500 and while I am impressed in general, there is a problem with the picture being distorted/skewed on the top and top-left on some scenes in movies. I have been in contact with Cyberhome and will see what happens.
I have the same problem. I have the player hooked up to my Sony KP-65WV700 HDTV using Monster2 component cables and have seen the picture being distorted/skewed during parts of the movie which are bright or have lot of white in the picture. On the DVD setup for video have it set to:

P-SCAN
6:9 WideScreen
CYCbr (component)
PROGRESSIVE

I have also emailed support and I hope they can resolve this with a firmware upgrade since I really want to keep this player because its feature rich, but otherwise it will go back.
Old 12-16-02, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I saw it a BB for $69 and bought it. I'm positive they'll really like it, i could buy them anything with the letters "DVD" stamped on it and they'll flip uot....
Old 12-16-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

None of you have mentioned the best feature of the 500 model! It can be easily hacked to become a region free player, and to play PAL discs.

This can be accomplished in 30 seconds by entering a code with the remote.

PAL discs (even anamorphic ones) display correctly on 4X3 TVs as well. None of the squeeze issues APEX units have.