Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I get an RP-82 for a LT260 projector?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting an NEC LT260 projector, and want to upgrade my DVD player to a good progressive scan one to take advantage of the 260's 480p capability. I mostly watch widescreen DVDs, and am looking pretty hard at the Panny RP-82, based on previous posts about the chroma bug, but am also considering the RP-91 because of scaling (though I'm not sure how important that feature is since most of my DVDs are anamorphic). Is the RP-82 a good match for this projector, or is there something else folks would recommend? Thanks.
Old 12-07-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can swing the RP-91 get it ASAP! It is still the best all-round player in the sub $1000 range!
Old 12-08-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been using an RP56 with my LT150 for over a year now, and it's a fine match.
if anything, i think the RP82 is supposed to be even better.

actually the 56 is just a little bit better than the Malata i also have. the Malata is a little bit weaker on some material (mostly video based), but not far off in overall quality to the panasonic.
if anything, i actually prefer to use the Malata as it executes commands significantly faster than the panasonic, and has enormous flexibility playing any disc from anywhere in the world.

but to answer your question,
yes, the 82 would be just fine.

i think your going to be delighted with that pj, no matter what player you go with.
Old 12-08-02, 04:26 PM

The RP82 is a great match for the LT260. Eventhough the LT260's internal deinterlacing is not bad, the RP82's is better, and you should be able to see the difference. The RP91's scaling of non-anamorphic material is kind of nice, but the deinterlacing is inferior to the RP82's.
Old 12-08-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
The RP82 is a better choice for your needs than the RP91. The 91's chief selling point is its scaling feature. Your projector has a very good internal scaler of its own and will not need this feature in the DVD player. The RP82 has the same MPEG decoder as the 91 (meaning that colors and sharpness are the same) but a better deinterlacing chip for superior progressive scan performance without artifacting.

The RP-82 is a good match for your projector.
Old 12-08-02, 07:08 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the great inputs (and my wallet thanks you too). Now I just have to wait till the -82 gets back in stock so I can buy one!