Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive Scan distortion?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I watch a progressive scan source on my Samsung 32" CRT HDTV monitor the middle far right and left edges appear to expand out away from the center as illustrated in the picture below. I have a HT speaker setup, but the speakers are like 2 feet away and I have never had distortion like this with my previous TV. I'm using monster cables for the connection, and have tried multiple sources and cables.

It only happens when I run in progressive mode.

this is a mild example. When the screen is more "active" the effect is amplified.

My questions are: has any one experienced this distortion before? Is progressive mode more sentative to magnetic fields or interference than interlaced?

Unfortunately, I destroyed the box, and it was a complete pain to move this TV into my apartment. So returning it to Best Buy isn't a conveinient option. What can one do about a problem like this?

Thanks

Last edited by mmconhea; 11-21-02 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 11:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Your TV probably can be calibrated for different modes. It looks like it has a problem with the progressive mode and needs a calibration.
Old 11-21-02, 12:03 PM

hmmm. I don't see calibration or something liek it in the manual or menu anywhere. There's a tilt function that rotates the picture and the standard color stuff.
Old 11-21-02, 12:10 PM
X
Administrator

You'd need a professional who can get into the service menu.

If this set is new I'd check how progressive looks at the store on one of their sets and maybe get it replaced. Give them the option of replacing or fixing it. Maybe warranty would handle such a bad distortion too.
Old 11-21-02, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try through the service menu. I found a remote code on the net.
Old 11-21-02, 01:11 PM
X
Administrator

Write down all the settings first, before you touch anything. And you could be voiding your warranty. I hope you have Avia or Video Essentails for their grid patterns.
Old 11-21-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, please, please write your factory settings down before you make any adjustments... I have no experience with the Samsung sets or service menus and it could be possible to correct your problems with a few simple changes... The Panny's have some fairly basic geometric corrections in the service menu that will not require any calibration software.

That said, as X pointed out, I hope you have a copy of Avia or VE just in case... And, as long as you're there, you might as well correct the overscan (you'll NEED Avia or VE there) and any other geometry issues that you may have... Just be careful in there, do your homework - study, study, study - and take your time...

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 11-21-02 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 04:41 PM

Problem fixed. Thanks guys. I went carefully and took digital pictures of all my settings before I messed with them. Luckily, the first options were for the screen geometry. Everything looks great now. I don't have Avia or VE, but I used some THX color bars off of some DVD. I 'll have to do some research about this "overscan" since I don't know what it is.

Thanks again!
-Matt
Old 11-21-02, 04:56 PM
X
Administrator

Wow! I'm impressed! Not even knowing about the service menu and then fixing it so fast...

You really should get Avia.