Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will a PAL DVD play on my player if it's region 0?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I own hundreds of dvds, so I'm not a newbie but I've never been able to justify getting a region free player. It's already a very expensive region 1 habit and keeping up with releases here takes up enough of my time. If I had more time, more money or money energy I'd get everything.

That said, for the first time I've found something that I want so badly that it's driving me crazy. But I still don't want a player because of all the reasons listed above. The disc was listed as region 2 PAL, so I thought I was clearly sh*t out of luck. But then I was told it was region free.

That confused me because it's region free, but still PAL. Isn't PAL used only in region 2 anyway? What point is it to make it region free and still have it be PAL anyway? Who benefits from this? Then I wondered if it would play on my computer or what a PAL, region free DVD would do in my Sony players.

Can someone please give me some info? It would suck to only watch this on my computer, but if it's only this one I have to do it. I would just like to find out if I even would be able to play it without the PAL conversion.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will play in your DVD player, but your TV most likely will not be able to display the video properly.

It will play in your computer's DVD-ROM drive just fine, though.
Old 11-18-02, 09:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
region free NTSC will run on American NTSC based tvs

region free PAL plays on TV that accept the PAL signal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong in this respect, but most of Europe is Region 2 PAL. Region 2 is also Japan but they have NTSC televisions/monitors.
Old 11-18-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
region free NTSC will run on American NTSC based tvs

region free PAL plays on TV that accept the PAL signal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong in this respect, but most of Europe is Region 2 PAL. Region 2 is also Japan but they have NTSC televisions/monitors.
Thanks. I'll have to think about getting it and just watching it with my computer then.

I just don't understand why it makes sense to make something region free if, in other regions, they won't be able to watch it without a special player anyway. If it's PAL it might as well not be region free.
Old 11-18-02, 10:40 PM

I have seen players that will convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa.
Old 11-18-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts
Australia is pal too, I think. As for why they chose pal, it has to be ntsc or pal. If they'd chosen to make it a region 0 ntsc, then it wouldn't play on pal tv's.

tasha
Old 11-18-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...If they'd chosen to make it a region 0 ntsc, then it wouldn't play on pal tv's."

...sorry - no cigar!... just about any PAL TV produced in the past, say, ten years or so, will let you play Region 0 NTSC DVDs - in glorious color... if the DVD player is region-free, a.k.a. code-free, a.k.a. 'chipped', then you can play NTSC DVDs from Region 1/USA&Canada, Region 2/Japan, Region 3/Korea...

...yup... us DVD fans in PAL regions are lucky that way - unlike DVD fans in NTSC regions, whose NTSC TVs cannot reproduce PAL - unless, of course, you own a (code-free) DVD player that does the PAL-to-NTSC conversion...

. . . . . .
Old 11-18-02, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
It will play in your DVD player, but your TV most likely will not be able to display the video properly.
While this is usually true, I have found that my current player, the Denon 1600, will not even load up a PAL disc. I find it rather strange, but it will refuse to even attempt to play any PAL discs, and it has nothing to do with region coding, the discs I've tried dont have region encoding.
Old 11-18-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... "...the discs I've tried dont have region encoding..." ...Titles of these 'Region 0' PAL discs?

Note: "Region 0" is often referred to as "U" (for 'Universal') or 'ALL' (for all regions)...

. . . . . .
Old 11-19-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seezar
While this is usually true, I have found that my current player, the Denon 1600, will not even load up a PAL disc. I find it rather strange, but it will refuse to even attempt to play any PAL discs, and it has nothing to do with region coding, the discs I've tried dont have region encoding.
Weird. That sucks. Probably something to do with video card issues, but I don't know anything about that.
Old 11-19-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's NOT weird. Quite a few standalone NTSC players will not play ANY PAL disc, regardless of region.
Old 11-19-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I just don't understand why it makes sense to make something region free if, in other regions, they won't be able to watch it without a special player anyway. If it's PAL it might as well not be region free.
Because multiple regions use PAL. By making it R0 the movie can be marketed and sold in all the various PAL countries w/ out a problem. Also, Region Coding is mainly a concern for major US and European studios that are a member of the MPAA. You'll find that a lot of smaller international studios often don't bother with region coding. It's not mandatory, and I believe there might even be a small fee to be paid to the MPAA when using a region code, not unlike having to pay for a rating symbol. Don't quote me on the last part though.
Old 11-19-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Does anyone know if the old Apex 600A will do PAL conversion? It has a PAL/NTSC switch, but is that only if you are outputting to a PAL TV?
Old 11-19-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, it does. I believe 90% if not all the Apex's do PAL conversion, as do most Chinese players. The thing to be aware of is that none but the regionfree Malata and JVC's (maybe another brand too, I don't remember) can actually convert anamorphic PAL. The chip that does the Anamorphic conversion is also the one that does the PAL conversion, and it can't do both at once.

If you're watching an anamorphic PAL DVD there will be no letterboxing and the picture will be stretched to fill the screen, the same effect as if you set the player up to be used on a widescreen TV. If you have a widescreen TV, or one that does anamorphic squeeze then this won't be an issue for you. If the DVD isn't anamorphic, it also won't be an issue.

People will post that Apex's don't do proper PAL conversion, this is false, they do. They just don't do proper anamorphic conversion.
Old 11-20-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am able to watch any PAL DVD I get on my Malata DVD player (you will find a link for it here on DVDtalk!) and the Malata is the best in handling the PAL to NTSC conversion. Hands down, it's the best player I have ever owned!
Old 11-20-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Electric2k
It's NOT weird. Quite a few standalone NTSC players will not play ANY PAL disc, regardless of region.
Exactly. I see people make the claim a lot that "all DVD players will try to play PAL discs." I don't know how that rumor got started, but it simply isn't true. My Pioneer DVL-700 won't recognize PAL discs, including Region 0 ones. You just get a "no disc" error message.

The APEX 600A will do the PAL->NTSC conversion for you, with very slight geometric distortion (barely noticeable). However, it cannot do both anamorphic downconversion and PAL conversion at the same time, so if you have an anamorphic PAL DVD and are watching it on a 3x4 NTSC TV, images will appear stretched.
Old 11-20-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep my Daewoo 3000 will squish a PAL anamorphic disc a little, but it's not unwatchable in 16x9 mode. If I set my Tv to Zoom1 it almost straightens it out.
Old 11-20-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Electric2k
I totally misread his comment. I thought he meant his computer/DVD-ROM drive, hence my video card comment.
Old 11-20-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, a lot of talk about players, but are you all sure that a computer will have no problem playing a PAL, region 0 or 2 dvd?

It's close to brand new (the computer). What is it about a computer that converts PAL that can't be easily duplicated on a stand alone DVD player?

As I wrote, I just can't go down the path of a region free player. I have 2 Sonys and they work fine. I think it's great that other people do it, but the cost of even more dvds is too much for me now.

But I really want this one DVD and it's PAL. I will order it if someone can confirm it will play on my computer for sure.

Thanks
Old 11-20-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's highly unlikely that your computer will give you any problems playing a PAL-encoded disc. I don't know the specifics, other than to know that a computer monitor works differently than a TV monitor in the way it reads video content, interlacing, weaving, all that crap.

You should be fine.
Old 11-20-02, 05:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Hardware.
Old 11-21-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Region 1 JVC players right out of the box will play PAL 0 discs (doing an internal PAL->NTSC conversion) .
Old 11-24-02, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nekobus
Region 1 JVC players right out of the box will play PAL 0 discs (doing an internal PAL->NTSC conversion) .
Do you mean that the JVC will do the conversion on its own or do I need to do something? If so, what and are JVC players really good? I've only ever had Sony. How would JVC compare (jvc xv-s302sl and xv-s500bk were the ones that i saw at amazon) and which ones would you suggest that I look at?

Thanks.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 11-24-02 at 08:11 AM.