Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need a cd player NOT a dvd/cd player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-02, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know where i can find a good deal on just a cd player? I don't need the dvd player becuz i already have one and don't need another one. my current dvd player has a cd player but its connected to my tv and i don't want my cd's played through my tv and i don't have a good speaker system in that room. so i need a good cd player. anyone know of a good place to get a cd player? it seems like most places sell the dvd/cd combo. thanks for help.
Old 11-17-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How important is the audio quality? (How good are the components and speakers downstream?) What is your budget?
Old 11-17-02, 05:32 AM

just an avg. system would be fine. audio quality of course is the most important thing but don't want to spend a whole lot. nothing that fancy . not sure about speaker type. budget? hmm. not really sure what the avg. go for. probably $150-200.
Old 11-18-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Marantz CC-4000 and have been very happy with it. (5 disc changer). Great sound quality, fast changes between discs, plays CD-R and CD-R/W. The downside: the remote sucks, but I don't use it anyway.

It is $250 at hifi.com with free shipping.
Old 11-19-02, 12:12 AM

alright, i decided that i want a disc changer (5 disc changer is enough). Not sure which brands are the best. I only want to spend about $150. I want a remote control of course and i want it to play cdr/cdrw. Not sure, but do cd players play mp3 cds? and since i know nothing about mp3 what is the point of making an mp3 cd? guess mp3 ain't that important but would be nice. Like i said in previous thread i want an avg. cd system that is reliable and good sound. anyone know where i can find a good deal on one? would prefer a brand new one as opposed to used. thanks.
Old 11-19-02, 11:27 AM

I'm looking for a CD player too. $300 price range would be nice to be in. I'm not opposed to a single disc player if I can get something significantly better in than price range, but a five disc would be nice. I'm pretty sure none of the higher end players bother with MP3 conversion so I will exclude that. I would like it to play CD-R and CD R/W and if a five disc changer, text capabilities would be nice, but not necessary.

My receiver is a Marantz SR-7000 with B&W 602s as the mains.

I looked at the Marantz CC-4000, edclem, but could you tell me if the front is plastic or brushed aluminum. Thanks.
Old 11-19-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joe liquor
I'm looking for a CD player too. $300 price range would be nice to be in. I'm not opposed to a single disc player if I can get something significantly better in than price range, but a five disc would be nice. I'm pretty sure none of the higher end players bother with MP3 conversion so I will exclude that. I would like it to play CD-R and CD R/W and if a five disc changer, text capabilities would be nice, but not necessary.

My receiver is a Marantz SR-7000 with B&W 602s as the mains.

I looked at the Marantz CC-4000, edclem, but could you tell me if the front is plastic or brushed aluminum. Thanks.
If I recall correctly, it's aluminum (black coated). I'll have to double check when I get home.

If you can still find it, the CC-4000 OSE or the CC-5000 are the steps up from the 4000 (although the 5000 is a single disc player). They improve on the build quality of the 4000 (which is already good), and use some slightly higher quality componentry
(including more shielding components and an all aluminum chassis)

Either way, it's a great sounding player, and an excellent value at $250.
Old 11-20-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up the Harman Kardon FL 8380 Five-Disc CD Changer awhile back for 149.99 delivered through hifi.com. Looking at their website it's now 199.99, but that too is with free delivery I believe.

I couldn't be happier with it, it has great sound, esp. with the digital coax out. The thing is built like a tank, and is pretty sweet looking imho.

My only complaint is that when you turn it on it scans all 5 discs(this might be common) but I don't like it much, since it's a bit slow to me on the disc changes.