Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Players with VGA out???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-02, 12:20 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any DVD players (Prog Scan) that have a VGA out? I have heard that the Malata 520 may have one but the HKflix website makes no mention of it and the photo only shows part of the rear of the player, cutting off where I belive this output maybe located. Can anyone who owns one of these players please confirm if the VGA output is there or not? And if anyone knows of any other models with VGA outputs that would be helpful also, as the region free / PAL to NTSC features of the Malata are of no interest to me. Just in case anyone is interested in why I would want this, it is so I can hook it up to a cheap projector with VGA inputs without the need for a scaler or HTPC.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-02, 06:19 AM
Banned

I know that www.JVB.nl has many DVD mods, perhaps they do VGA ones...
Old 11-20-02, 06:06 AM

https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dv...050p/1050p.htm

The Skyworth has vga out for less than $200
Old 11-20-02, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks, for the info
I also found out that it is illegal to sell DVD players with VGA out in the US as VGA cannot pass the macrovision copy protection, so I guess I am either going to have to buy from HK and pay the $80+ shipping charges or get a regular prg scan DVD player and a Component to VGA transcoder.

I also found this site which has the Malata with VGA out if you buy it direct from HK.

http://www.gamechoice.com.hk/dvd.html

I don't suppose anyone has any input on the service provided by either of these sites do they???
Old 11-23-02, 04:43 AM

Saw your post on avsforum.
Some high end company in the US sells a dvd player with vga out for over $2000.
Surely they wouldn't want to get sued for selling a dvd player with vga out.
I can't think of the company right now.
Old 11-23-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: DVD Players with VGA out???

Originally posted by kfc75
Just in case anyone is interested in why I would want this, it is so I can hook it up to a cheap projector with VGA inputs without the need for a scaler or HTPC.
If that's all you want it for, just buy a component-to-VGA cable, and then set the projector for Y-Pb-Pr (analog component) input.

A warning: cheap projectors produce lousy picture quality, especially if you don't use a scaler or HTPC. That's why the good ones are so expensive.
Old 11-25-02, 08:41 AM
Cool New Member

The cheapest component to VGA transcoder I found costs around $180 for the Audio authority 9A62. A stand alone prog scan DVD player with VGA out is about $280 shipped from HK. With the transcoder I would also need to buy a prog scan DVD player, figure $200 for a RP82, making this solution over $100 more than the Skyworth 1050D player. The skyworth player also has the sage / faroudja chipset, plus it would also require one less connection hopefully minimizing PQ reduction.

That said I am now moving more towards just buying a stand alone iscan line doubler so I can run TV / Sat and VCR thru it also.

I am planning to use this with a sony 1031Q CRT projector to shoot a 72" wide 16:9 image (83" diag), with a 480p input and this smaller size screen it should produce a pretty nice picture.
Old 11-25-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by kfc75
The cheapest component to VGA transcoder I found costs around $180 for the Audio authority 9A62.
I'm not talking about a transcoder. I'm talking about a simple adaptor cable like this one:

http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/A...S/product.html

If your projector is like mine, it should be able to accept an analog component signal through the VGA input. No transcoding needed. It's analog to analog directly from the DVD player to the projector.

A stand alone prog scan DVD player with VGA out is about $280 shipped from HK. With the transcoder I would also need to buy a prog scan DVD player, figure $200 for a RP82, making this solution over $100 more than the Skyworth 1050D player. The skyworth player also has the sage / faroudja chipset, plus it would also require one less connection hopefully minimizing PQ reduction.
Yeah, but of course you'd be buying a cheapo Skyworth with questionable picture quality.

That said I am now moving more towards just buying a stand alone iscan line doubler so I can run TV / Sat and VCR thru it also.
A good choice. I have one myself. Remember that if you are going to run a VGA connection from the IScan to the projector you will have to break off the sync pin on the VGA cable or else you'll get a solid green picture.

Another option is to buy two of the VGA-to-RCA cables like I linked to above (perhaps a shorter length) and connect them together in the middle with male-to-male RCA adaptors.
Old 12-03-02, 02:26 AM

Seems like HKFlix.com just came out with a Malata 520 with a VGA out.