DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvdr985 vs. Panasonic E30

Old 11-14-02, 12:24 PM

dvdr985 vs. Panasonic E30

I have both of these models, and I gotta say that I like the Panasonic E30 better. The pictures on both models are superb (I would like to know which monitor/projector another writer used to describe the E30 picture being washed out. I use an RCA F38310 hdtv monitor and I can't see any difference! Anyway, they are both excellent...and you can buy the E30 brand new for $518! Also, the E30 loves those cheapo Ritek blanks (cheap price...not quality). Also, the DVD-R plays in way more of my friends machines than the DVD+R (to be honest, the DVD+R format plays in most new machines, but many of my miserly friends have old machines...and they always seem to play a DVD-r. When you show up at a friend's house with a laserdisc dub of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" you want it to play!) Are there any other happy E30 users out there with tips/complaints/comments?
Old 11-15-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the Panasonic E20 and the Philips DVDR985.

I far prefer the Philips, because the DVD+RWs (erasable) can play in other players unlike DVD-RAM. Also, since DVD-Rs tend to be washed out looking , I prefer the picture quality on the DVD+R/DVD+RWs.

I haven't had any of the DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs or DVD+RWs fail to play on a player made in the last couple of years. I use all of these discs interchangably with no problem. So much for the non existant format war.

The Philips seems to be a better made machine also, and is easier to use. I do like the title function on the Panasonic better though.

Overall, both good machines. The Panasonic is sells for $150 to $200 less, but if you can afford it, go for the Philips.
Old 11-16-02, 09:10 AM

True, the Panasonic does record on DVD-RAM...but that is an option left to the owner. It is really a DVD-R machine at heart. Also, statistically, DVD-R plays on more machines than DVD+R. And if you want an erasable disc you simply buy a DVD-RW.