DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anamorphic question...

Old 11-12-02, 05:47 PM
JIF

Anamorphic question...

Just purchased a progressive scan dvd player (Panasonic DVD-CP67S) & a Sony 51" digital widescreen projection TV (KP51WS500). Great stuff; however, I have one complaint. While I love watching a movie in anamorphic presentation, I'm disappointed that subtitles (for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Episode 2 for example) are cut off below. Is there something that I'm failing to do to view all of the subtitles?

Any help would be appreciated..thanks.
Old 11-12-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is probably better suited for the Hardware section.

And, to prove it, I'm going to answer the question to the best of my ability, and it will probably be a stupid answer...

Did you check your DVD player to make sure you are set to a 16X9 display as opposed to a 4X3?
Old 11-12-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you have your DVD layer set to progressive (if it can be enabled/disabled...mine can)

do you have the TV set to FULL

It could be an overscan problem
Old 11-12-02, 07:40 PM
Banned

For anamorphic DVDs you should be able to see the subtitles at all times on a widescreen tv.

But for NON-anamorphic letterbox movies with a 1:85:1 ratio where the subs are placed in the bottom black bar, there is no way you can see the subtitles without distorting the picture.

At least thats my experience when trying to watch the End of Evangelion nonanamorphic on my panasonic 53" widescreen set.
Old 11-12-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

would that be only if you have it in stretch mode. this and and a few other reasons is the main reason why id be upgrading to a 4x3 hdtv, i enjoy my black bars.
Old 11-12-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As stated by others, if the disc is anamorphic you should be able to see the subtitles, assuming your DVD player is properly set for 16:9 mode. On an anamorphic disc, the subtitles are designed to be moved upwards into the picture area so that they are not cut off on widescreen displays.

Non-anamorphic discs are another story.
Old 11-12-02, 10:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to Hardware.